Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Today I am a very, very happy camper.

One of my work excompatriot gave me three useful FTA items for me to play with.

1. A 44" x 40.5" Grey offset dish. The arm lenght is 50.5". The two legs lenght are 27" each. I do not know where he bought it from, but this dish is very sturdy made.

2. A GEOSATpro GS-120 Motor.

3. A Invacom QPH-031

Downloaded the owners manual (Installation Guide) for the motor from Satellite AV. I now have two Invacom QPH-031 to play with.

As soon as I find out how to send pictures to the forum, will do so, so someone can tell me what model or name brand is the dish.

Tomorrow will replace my smaller (38" x 34") Satellite AV dish with the new one.

Hopefully this dish can give me a better chance of receiving more channels:)

Thanks.

Just look down there when you reply and find where it says "Go Advanced" or something to that effect. Then you can upload attachments with your reply.
That was a lucky day!

nice haul

40 wide by 44 tall dish, sounds like an honest (commercial) 1 meter dish.
Does it have a heavy duty mount?
Stamped metal, I assume?
I anxiously await pictures.

Might want to wait 'till pictures are posted before putting this on your existing motor.

Hope Anole is right and that dish is a commercial molded model such as a Channel Master or a Prodelin. We are having good weather so that should help installation...

The dish has 1.5" bevel all around, which gives it a total measurement of 47" x 43" from rim to rim. The mount bracket is 11" x 11", with hole pattern of 10" x 10"..... The whole lenght of the LNBF arm attached to the dish bracket as mentioned earlier is 50.5" including the bend.

One leg of of one of the "U" bolt for the bracket its treads are stripped, so will have to either buy a new "U" bolt or retread it.

Might have to reinforce the pole, or plant a new one.

Have to find the tread that shows how to send picture and of the right size to the forum, when I find it, will post some picture of my new toys, and would like to receive some comment of what type of dish I have.

This is my first try to send pictures to the FTA forum. Included are some of the pictures of my new offset dish. Could not find a happy median with the bright shining sun.

The dish looks small in all three pictures, but this dish is large compare to my original KU dish. Can someone tell what brand or what company made it, if needed I can send more pictures, want to exercise my new found uploading technique LOL!!.

Bought a 40# of concrete mix, and filled the skinny dish pole with it, will wait until tomorrow to see if it made the pole more rigid/sturdy, chances are that I might have to remove and replace it if it seems too weak, will send pictures of that too. No need to take pictures of the GEOSATpro GS120 or the Invacom QPH-031 those two items are lebeled and recognizable.

My benefactor lives about a mile away from me, same Zip Code, so hopefully I do not have to change any of the dish bracket elevation angle nor the readings from the motor Latitude scale.
I am still working with the U bolt tread problem.

Attachments

• FILE0025.JPG
    FILE0025.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 264
  • FILE0024.JPG
    FILE0024.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 247
  • FILE0028.JPG
    FILE0028.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Brian, is that a desireable dish for KU band...Did you ever carried and sold that type of dish...My friend is running away from the Mardi Gras madness, when he comes back from vacation, I will ask him from whom did he bought the dish. I believe that, that dish and the other items were bought about eight years ago, as you can see it seems that he only buys good quality products.

Anyway I took some picture of my two mini-farm dishes. The Ku (Satellite AV) was bought at about the same time that my friend got his equipment, and the other (the $69.99 special) has practically hit the dust, the only thing that is holding this thing together, is the two coats of spray paint, not knocking it down, at least for me, it has served its purpose.

Attachments

• FILE0040.JPG
    FILE0040.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 220
  • FILE0038.JPG
    FILE0038.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 224
  • FILE0036.JPG
    FILE0036.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 213
  • FILE0035.JPG
    FILE0035.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 223
  • FILE0032.JPG
    FILE0032.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 200
  • FILE0033.JPG
    FILE0033.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 221
  • FILE0034.JPG
    FILE0034.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 217
  • FILE0037.JPG
    FILE0037.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 204
Yes, the Winegard 1m is a very nice dish. Since it is steel, do a string test to make sure the parabolic is still true.

We only wholesaled several thousand of the 1m, but retailed 20k+ of the smaller brother, DS2076 (76cm).

I didn't dare to hope.
Not every day someone gives you a 1m Winegard dish. :)

I might suggest outfitting it with a PLL LNBF from SatAV.
The combined improvement of bigger dish & better LNBF might be impressive.

As for settings on the motor, I'd assume nothing.

The 30" version of that dish is known for superior performance for its size. Have heard nothing but good things about its big brother as well. You got a great dish there.

Thanks Tron,

Stiil waiting for thre dish's pole filled with cement to fully dry before installing the dish. So far today the weather is gloomy.

When he took down the dish, he put it in the attic so will have give the dish the string test to see if it is warped, as Brian recommends. Hope not.

Last edited:
Just performed a string test on the dish, at the axis the string running Up and Down is about an eight of an inch above the one running Side to Side, of course if the strings are swaped ( the Side to Side on top of the Up and Down) they touch LOL!!.

Is that Good or Bad or normal, do the strings have to touch together all the time no matter if they are placed at different positions. Also cheched the cement filled pole, the cement still looks wet but solid will give it another day for drying.

Any space between the strings indicates that the parabolic shape is not perfect and signals will not reflect into the LNBF. 1/8th inch isn't much, but be sure that it isn't any more as you rotate the strings around the dish rim always at +/- 90 degree angles from each other.

Personally, I would make an attempt to correct, but only because I concentrate on getting every bit of optimization during an install.

The weight of the LNBF MAY pull the sides of the dish forward, then 'all would be well'. Something to check anyway.

The weight of the LNBF MAY pull the sides of the dish forward, then 'all would be well'. Something to check anyway.

Brian, what is the best way to correct the dish 1/8" warp.

Thanks Fat Air, he was using an Invacom QPH-031 LNBF.

Worked with the GEOSATpro GS120 off the dish for a while, made it travel East and West using the motor switch while connected to the microHD, noticed that the two male (LNB and Receiver) connector were wiggling/loose, the receiver connector came/pulled off, those two studs are just pushed/press, into a pin or wire inside the motor casing using the casing for ground (not soldered), the receiver connector is not staying on it pulls out easy, I am thinking of using "Crazy Glue" LOL! to keep it from coming off. Any idea on how to fix it.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts