Top 10 NFL Players Not In the Pro Football Hall of Fame

lancemccaffrey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
The NFL Network produced a program on Tuesday night about the top 10 NFL players not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Any thougths on this list? Anybody who should not be on this list?

1. Jerry Kramer
2. Derrick Thomas
3. Cris Carter
4. Jim Marshall
5. Bob Hayes
6. Ken Stabler
7. Ricky Watters
8. Alex Karras
9. Steve Tasker
10. Ken Anderson

Ricky Watters should not be on the list, I don't think he deserves a HOF nod. He never led the league in Rushing yards, only one season ('96) in rushing attempts and total yards from scrimmage.

The NFL Network produced a program on Tuesday night about the top 10 NFL players not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Any thougths on this list? Anybody who should not be on this list?

1. Jerry Kramer
2. Derrick Thomas
3. Cris Carter
4. Jim Marshall
5. Bob Hayes
6. Ken Stabler
7. Ricky Watters
8. Alex Karras
9. Steve Tasker
10. Ken Anderson

IMO, Watters and Tasker don't belong on this list. Watters was a very good back with a "me-me" attitude, and Tasker, while a great ST player, did very little from the line of scrimmage.

BTW, I can't believe Jerry Kramer is not in the HOF. That's a disgrace!!

Ricky Watters should not be on the list, I don't think he deserves a HOF nod. He never led the league in Rushing yards, only one season ('96) in rushing attempts and total yards from scrimmage.
Totally agree. Watters was a product of stacked 49ers team. Cris Carter should be in. Ken Anderson doesn't strike me as HOF material. Wasn't he just a poor man's Boomer Esiason?

IMO, Watters and Tasker don't belong on this list. Watters was a very good back with a "me-me" attitude, and Tasker, while a great ST player, did very little from the line of scrimmage.

BTW, I can't believe Jerry Kramer is not in the HOF. That's a disgrace!!

Why not Tasker??!! He made 7 PRO BOWLS as a special teamer!! How many in the HOF can say that? And ISN'T special teams an important part of ANY and ALL football teams?? This is almost the equivalent of saying a defensive player shouldn't/couldn't win a MVP award in the NFL or a Heisman in college.....:rolleyes:

1. Jerry Kramer
2. Derrick Thomas
3. Cris Carter
4. Jim Marshall
5. Bob Hayes
6. Ken Stabler
7. Ricky Watters
8. Alex Karras
9. Steve Tasker
10. Ken Anderson

I think everyone on this list is worthy of serious consideration. Just looking at the names on this list, the people I would definitely put in the Hall are Kramer, Thomas, Carter, Hayes, and Ken Anderson.

Marshall, Stabler, Watters, Karras, and Tasker are borderline - although among these four candidates - the two I would argue for over the others is Marshall and Stabler. I see Watters, Karras, and Tasker as very good, not very good for the Hall of Fame.

Totally agree. Watters was a product of stacked 49ers team. Cris Carter should be in. Ken Anderson doesn't strike me as HOF material. Wasn't he just a poor man's Boomer Esiason?

No. Boomer was a poor man's Kenny Anderson. Anderson was a Hall of Famer in my book. Consider this: Anderson was a contemporary of Terry Bradshaw. They both came in the NFL in the early '70s and played each other twice a year in the old AFC Central. Yet Anderson threw for a higher career completion percentage, for more career yards, for less career interceptions, had a higher career pass rating, and was selected to more Pro Bowls than Bradshaw - who is already enshrined in Canton.

Bradshaw played with tons of Hall of Famers, including a Hall of Fame running back (Franco Harris), a Hall of Fame offensive lineman (Mike Webster), and two Hall of Fame recieivers(John Stallwork and Lynn Swann). Anderson only played with Hall of Famers, Anthony Munoz (who came very late in Anderson's career) and Charlie Joiner (who did not become a consistent Pro Bowler until Joiner went to San Diego with Dan Fouts and Kellen Winslow).

Anderson still has the highest completion percentage in a season - and he did that back in the early '70s. Despite not winning a Super Bowl, Anderson still has the highest career playoff completion percentage in NFL History.

Kenny Anderson is a Hall of Famer.

Last edited:
Watters was never really that good. The biggest complaint about the Niners back then was that they HAD no running game, or that Steve Young was the team's leading rusher. For a while he was just the best they could get.

That's quite a surprising list. I had no idea those guys (with the exception of Watters, whom i don't believe should be there) weren't already in the Hall. For me the biggest surprise would be Chris Carter, who was one of the best of his era, hands down. Maybe he isn't eligible yet.

That's quite a surprising list. I had no idea those guys (with the exception of Watters, whom i don't believe should be there) weren't already in the Hall. For me the biggest surprise would be Chris Carter, who was one of the best of his era, hands down. Maybe he isn't eligible yet.

Carter was eligible, but just got overlooked. Had Carter been selected, he would've been a first ballot HOFer. Another guy who got overlooked was Paul Tagliabue. Even though not a player, as the Commish, his tenure had an extremely positive impact on the success of this league today.

BTW, here's the list of the '08 inductees to take place on August 2nd: Defensive end Fred Dean, cornerback Darrell Green, wide receiver Art Monk, cornerback Emmitt Thomas, linebackerAndre Tippett, and tackle Gary Zimmerman make up the Class of 2008 Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinees.

Cris Carter will get inducted next year. If he doesn't, there should be a serious investigation. Derrick Thomas will get in, too, I just don't know when.

The interesting name is Watters. I never thought of him as a Hall of Famer, but when I looked at his numbers - I was shocked at how prolific his numbers were.

He went to 5 Pro Bowls (the same number as Hall of Fame running backs Thurman Thomas and Earl Campbell). He had more than 12,000 yards from scrimmage (4th most in the '90s behind Hall of Famers Thomas and Barry Sanders and future Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith).

If based off of solely career numbers, Watters is a Hall of Famer in my book. The problem is that he appears to be more of a compiler of statistics; his numbers were not meaningful from season to season where one could argue he was one of the best running backs in the game over a 6 or 7 year period. He never led the league in rushing. But how much of that is related to his versatility. He was much more of his receiving back than Smith, Sanders, and Thomas - perhaps that is why his career running yards are deflated and his total yards from scrimmage demonstrated and highlighted his versatility.

If forced to vote, I would probably not vote for Watters. He does, however, deserve serious consideration.

lancemccaffrey,

I am surprised you didn't mention Joe Theismann

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)