Transfer Recording From DVR To Computer

tommiefromva

Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Rocky Mount, Va
I have a Vizio 42" HDTV with a VIP722K DishNetwork DVR. My son has a Sportfishing Boat in Kailua Kona Hawaii. He took Tred Barta of VS Tv out to film one of his episodes for TV. I recorded the episode and I want to transfer it to my computer so that I can share it with my other family members. If it is possible can someone show me how to do it in simple terms that I can understand. Tommie

I have a Vizio 42" HDTV with a VIP722K DishNetwork DVR. My son has a Sportfishing Boat in Kailua Kona Hawaii. He took Tred Barta of VS Tv out to film one of his episodes for TV. I recorded the episode and I want to transfer it to my computer so that I can share it with my other family members. If it is possible can someone show me how to do it in simple terms that I can understand. Tommie

You can't do a straight transfer like from the hard drive inside the receiver across the network or via the external hard drive option on the VIP722K. You can however use a video capture card and play the episode back and then record it on your PC.

What type of Video Capture Card do I need to get and where do I hook it up. I am really a novice at this. Is there a website that discribes how to do this. Thanks Tommie

You can't do a straight transfer like from the hard drive inside the receiver across the network or via the external hard drive option on the VIP722K. You can however use a video capture card and play the episode back and then record it on your PC.

This is the only way to do it. There are several depending on if you are transferring SD or HD. Black Magic Designs makes some and Aver Media (Avertv) also make some. The Aver has 2 HDMI ports.

Last edited:

You would need to hook your pc up to the dvr's SD outputs, using a video capture card. Then, you would need to play back the recording in REAL TIME, and record it on your pc. Just like using a VCR years ago. There is NO other way to do this. You can't simply transfer the digital encrypted recording from the dvr drive, to your pc drive, like copying a file.

This is the only way to do it. There are several depending on if you are transferring SD or HD. Black Magic Designs makes some and Aver Media (Avertv) also make some. The Aver has 2 HDMI ports.
Can you transfer fron a Dish receiver in HD and store it in HD on a PC? I though not.

I contacted Tiger Direct and they recomended this Pinnacle 8230-30002-01 Dazzle Video Creator Plus HD Video Capture Device. Do you think it will do what I want it to do. Tommie

You could also use the Hauppage HD PVR to capture it in HD, or do some googling to find another way (if you own your box).

If I understand the OP, he has a recording on a Dish receiver that he wants to transfer to his computer... there are numerous ways to do this in SD and at least one poster suggested that it could be done in HD.

It is my belief that it can not be done in HD due to HDCP issues. Can someone identify a method using the HD outputs from a Dish receiover that will allow for input and recording on a PC in HD?

If I understand the OP, he has a recording on a Dish receiver that he wants to transfer to his computer... there are numerous ways to do this in SD and at least one poster suggested that it could be done in HD.

It is my belief that it can not be done in HD due to HDCP issues. Can someone identify a method using the HD outputs from a Dish receiover that will allow for input and recording on a PC in HD?
I've already said that one of the Black Magic Design cards has component video inputs. Here is the Intensity Shuttle which takes HDMI or component input a then outputs to USB 3 (most will have to add a USB 3 input to PC). http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/models/

Last edited:

The HD cards, like the Hauppage mentioned, use component input from the source. Component isn't locked down like HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)