Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

Dish said they will Cancel the Antenna orders if a deal is struck before they ship.

I just chatted with them.
I didn't take the Antenna because I already know it won't work at my House.

But it's an Antenna for the TV, so no USB dongle needed ,but that also means no DVR .

Which IMO who cares.

But it sounds like Dish is atleast trying to make good on this.

I also asked about Importing another affiliate, and that is a Flat out No!

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

But it's an Antenna for the TV, so no USB dongle needed ,but that also means no DVR

Might as well just be for the TV. Even if they included the OTA adapters, the affected viewers likely won't get OTA Guide Data via Dish for the removed channels, which makes OTA recording difficult at best.

(...and for folks with a Hopper 3, Recording OTA wasn't going to be an option anyways. :p )

Reactions: dare2be and Troch77
Might as well just be for the TV. Even if they included the OTA adapters, the affected viewers likely won't get OTA Guide Data via Dish for the removed channels making recording difficult anyways...and for folks with a Hopper 3, Recording OTA wasn't going to be an option anyways. :p
LOL.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: DWS44
Dish said they will Cancel the Antenna orders if a deal is struck before they ship.

I just chatted with them.
I didn't take the Antenna because I already know it won't work at my House.

But it's an Antenna for the TV, so no USB dongle needed ,but that also means no DVR .

Which IMO who cares.

But it sounds like Dish is atleast trying to make good on this.

I also asked about Importing another affiliate, and that is a Flat out No!

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

My chat: (Phyllis is the name on the account)

Jane (ID=2TS): Hi, my name is Jane (ID=2TS). How may I help you?
phyllis: I want to order the free OTA antenna
Jane (ID=2TS): Hi, Phyllis!
Jane (ID=2TS): I will be more than happy to assist you today.
phyllis: since my locals are blacked out by tribune.
Jane (ID=2TS): Can I verify your shipping address please?
phyllis: *********
Jane (ID=2TS):
Thank you!
phyllis: Does this come with the OTA USB Adapter ?
phyllis: so I can use my DVR?
Jane (ID=2TS): We can send you one small antenna accessory per household that allows you to continue watching your local channels.
phyllis: Does it plug into my hopper3?
Jane (ID=2TS): If you'd like, we can ship this to you in 1 business day at no cost to you, and after a short, simple installation you will have your local channels back.
Jane (ID=2TS): Yes.
phyllis: That would be great.
Jane (ID=2TS): You will get an email for the detailed instructions.
phyllis: ok
Jane (ID=2TS): Thank you!
Jane (ID=2TS): What is your email address?
phyllis: *********@me.com
phyllis: Is the thing your shipping this: https://my.dish.com/customercare/widgets/getProductDetails.do ?
Jane (ID=2TS): Unfortunately, I have no access to the link you sent.
phyllis: I'm confused are you sending an antenna or a OTA USB Adapter (sold in dish store for $30)
phyllis: or both
Jane (ID=2TS): You will receive a confirmation email that provides you with instructions on how to install the antenna.
In the event that your locals are restored to DISH programming before the antenna ships, we will cancel the shipment of your antenna.
Jane (ID=2TS): We will send you an antenna.
phyllis: Does the antenna allow me to use my dvr?
phyllis: (with it)
phyllis: Thank you. I'll let you get back to that long line.
Jane (ID=2TS): You are welcome!
phyllis: Try and have a nice night.
Jane (ID=2TS): Thank you for your patience!
Jane (ID=2TS):
Thank you!
Jane (ID=2TS): Thank you for using DISH Chat and giving me the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry. Have a great rest of your day!

My chat: (Phyllis is the name on the account)

Jane (ID=2TS): Hi, my name is Jane (ID=2TS). How may I help you?
phyllis: I want to order the free OTA antenna
Jane (ID=2TS): Hi, Phyllis!
Jane (ID=2TS): I will be more than happy to assist you today.
phyllis: since my locals are blacked out by tribune.
Jane (ID=2TS): Can I verify your shipping address please?
phyllis: *********
Jane (ID=2TS):
Thank you!
phyllis: Does this come with the OTA USB Adapter ?
phyllis: so I can use my DVR?
Jane (ID=2TS): We can send you one small antenna accessory per household that allows you to continue watching your local channels.
phyllis: Does it plug into my hopper3?
Jane (ID=2TS): If you'd like, we can ship this to you in 1 business day at no cost to you, and after a short, simple installation you will have your local channels back.
phyllis: That would be great.
Jane (ID=2TS): You will get an email for the detailed instructions.
phyllis: ok
Jane (ID=2TS): What is your email address?
phyllis: *********@me.com
phyllis: Is the thing your shipping this: https://my.dish.com/customercare/widgets/getProductDetails.do ?
Jane (ID=2TS): Unfortunately, I have no access to the link you sent.
phyllis: I'm confused are you sending an antenna or a OTA USB Adapter (sold in dish store for $30)
phyllis: or both
Jane (ID=2TS): You will receive a confirmation email that provides you with instructions on how to install the antenna.
In the event that your locals are restored to DISH programming before the antenna ships, we will cancel the shipment of your antenna.
Jane (ID=2TS): We will send you an antenna.
phyllis: Does the antenna allow me to use my dvr?
phyllis: (with it)
phyllis: Thank you. I'll let you get back to that long line.
Jane (ID=2TS): You are welcome!
phyllis: Try and have a nice night.
Jane (ID=2TS): Thank you for your patience!
Jane (ID=2TS):
Thank you!
Jane (ID=2TS): Thank you for using DISH Chat and giving me the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry. Have a great rest of your day!
Well you let me know if you get USB adapter, because even reading your chat, it doesn't sound like your questions were fully answered with confidence.

My Chat was plain and simple.
Will this hook to my Hopper? No it will connect to your TV.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Tampa8
I just called dish and they are sending out an antenna. I asked (even though I know) if i just plug it into the receiver or the television. They said they will be sending an email with installation instructions for integrating it with the receiver. I assume they are also sending a OTA dongle with the antenna.

Might as well just be for the TV. Even if they included the OTA adapters, the affected viewers likely won't get OTA Guide Data via Dish for the removed channels, which makes OTA recording difficult at best.
So true ! The way Dish deals with channel blackouts, it makes ZERO sense to provide an antenna with the OTA dongle. A basic antenna that you connect to your TV allows viewers to not miss the programming is all you'll get it.

So true ! The way Dish deals with channel blackouts, it makes ZERO sense to provide an antenna with the OTA dongle. A basic antenna that you connect to your TV allows viewers to not miss the programming is all you'll get it.
I was told it doesn't come with the OTA dongle.

A few say Yes, but nothing in my Chat confirmed such.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Well I'm going to calling tomorrow about some sort of credit on my SS package...since more than 1/2 the stations in that pkg are gone - I don't think an "antenna" is going work too well here in IL... :p

Reactions: pattykay
I'm assuming our missing local FOX channel is part of this... we've lost several channels this year now. This is getting tiresome. We're far enough out that indoor antennas are worthless.

I ended up getting a $5/month for three month discount on service, which is good enough since I already have the dongle/outdoor antenna hooked up to our receiver and don't want another antenna sitting around our house. Didn't take too much effort either, so will take whatever I get!

Well I'm going to calling tomorrow about some sort of credit on my SS package...since more than 1/2 the stations in that pkg are gone - I don't think an "antenna" is going work too well here in IL... :p
The superstations should not be blocked they're covered by a different section of the law.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I was about to point out the same thing when I saw your post.

I was told it doesn't come with the OTA dongle.

A few say Yes, but nothing in my Chat confirmed such.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I just called Dish for their free antenna offer (lost my FOX and CW local channels). I asked the agent about the OTA dongle and he had no idea what I was talking about. I explained that you cannot connect the antenna directly to the HWS receiver because it does not have an antenna input and the Dish OTA adapter was required. He understood that and went to ask somebody else about this. About a minute later he returned and told me that the OTA dongle would be included in my antenna shipment. I hope that he is right, but I will believe it when I actually get the adapter.

EDIT: BTW, when I called Dish, I only spent about 2 minutes on hold, so if you want one, it looks like the long hold times that some folks experienced are over.

Last edited:
I am a DirecTv subscriber but support DISH. Broadcasters are trying to get more and more money as advertising revenue is dropping. They strong arm the satellite and cable companies to do that. ESPN must have trained them on how to extort money from the various sat and cable companies. I still can't believe ESPN is getting around 3$ per sub. Pretty soon the broadcasters will want that ridiculous amount. Hopefully when ATSC 3.0 comes, off-air reception will improve so DISH can tell them to go screw themselves. Hopefully DISH/DirecTv get more subs on OTA reception the broadcasters realize they are not critical for satellite and can't get away with this crap. I can understand people in some large DMA's that rely on satellite TV for their locals, but the greedy broadcasters can be tamed.