[TWC] Road Runner with RG11

chadzx11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
memphis
What kind of advantage is to be had with replacing the RG6 from the cable modem out to the pedastal with RG11? Will it help "pings" and what not?

I think the limit w/o noticeable loss in RG6 is 200 to 350 feet.
TW will install RG11 for runs over 200 feet, I had that done
and found no improvements at all.

It will only help your signal reliability if it is low. If you have decent signal and it works now, RG11 will not improve speed/pings.

hall said:
How far is the pedestal to your house ??

The fiber is across the street. So my cable goes:

RG6 to the fiber @ that pedestal, under the steet (in pipe, should be easy to pull)

RG6 to RG6 with 3GHz F81 in pedastal in my front yard

FG6 to RG6 with groundblock outside

RG6 to RG6 with 3Ghz F81 in attic. It was a -7Db splitter, but I took that out trying to get mo better. :D

So my thought is that I could eliminate 2 F81's and 4 F connectors by running some fresh line (which needs to be done anyway).

The RG11 would be about 190 feet from the fiber to the modem. It would probably require me digging around the pedastal in the neighbor's (screw him) yard across the street. TW didn't stub up the RG6 for my house inside the pedastal, therefore my RG6 is nice and weedwhacked. Neither pedastal is locked, so I have full access. I can either call TW on it or do it my self when I am not installing E*. I just thought RG11 might turbo boost my connection. No idea why TW didn't put my cable in the pedestal, but if they fix it, they might lock it. :devil:

I figure getting rid of the weed whacked part will make a difference. Now I know why my speeds dropped (I was getting faster than average, now that is way down). I ain't taking a day off work to play the customer, though. Now when I can fix it myself. Wonder if the wife will get pissed if I dig up the yard. Might ought to consult her before I break out the shovel, eh?

I had a solid run from the GB to the modem, but the cable guy said I had "too much" signal. I'm a satellite guy. I have never heard of somebody having too much signal. Whats up with that?

your tv, modem, amplifier, among other things are built to have so much tolerance. after that point, your equipment can intermit, shut down, cross mod, etc.
as for digging up the yard, you can always use one blade on a plow to cut down on digging it up.

First, check your modem's signal levels. To do this you need to have a computer directly hooked to the modem. So cat5 from modem -> PC network card.

Once you get it like this, fire up a web browser and goto http://192.168.100.1

Thats your cable modem's diagnostics page (any docsis modem will have this). Now, it varies by modem manufacturer, but poke around until you find a page that lists signal levels. For example from my motorola surfboard:

Downstream
Frequency: 591000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio: 31 dB
Power Level: -16 dBmV

Upstream
Channel ID 3
Frequency 34000000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 44 dBmV

The important numbers are SNR and power level. Now, go check the info here and compare your numbers. If you are within the ranges stated, you probably wont see any performance increase.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3412

These are my readings from that page

Downstream
Frequency: 747000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio: 34 dB
Power Level: 8 dBmV

Upstream
Channel ID 6
Frequency 34800000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 39 dBmV

Looks like the weed wacked wire is not as bad as I thought. I might run me a length of RG6 over there to bypass it and see if it improves any. I know with satellites, a weed wacked wire is NOT a good thing.

Last edited: