Under the Dome

The problem with a series like under the dome it is hard to have self contained episodes. Hopefully they will resolve a bunch of story arcs at the end of this season and not leave too many lose ends for next season. Also how long can they realistically live under the dome? Perhaps the dome could disappear at the end of the season and hit another city next season, of course then it would have all new characters...

The problem with a series like under the dome it is hard to have self contained episodes. Hopefully they will resolve a bunch of story arcs at the end of this season and not leave too many lose ends for next season. Also how long can they realistically live under the dome? Perhaps the dome could disappear at the end of the season and hit another city next season, of course then it would have all new characters...

Wonder how the air supply is going ?
Lets see they have had plenty of fires, that smoke has to go somewhere.

They got rain INSIDE the dome.

It's a dome, when the sun is out, is it acting as a magnifying glass ?
Maybe thats for another episode ...

Wonder how the air supply is going ?
They're all out of love and so lost without you.

But seriously folks.... I'm here all week. Tip your waitresses.

In one of the earlier episodes they showed how the dome is semi-porous allowing water to trickle in. Remember the scene where those outside the dome had a fire hose going against the dome. One of the characters put his hand up on the dome and his hand was wet. So it is safe to extrapolate that O² will filter in as well as H²O.

In one of the earlier episodes they showed how the dome is semi-porous allowing water to trickle in. Remember the scene where those outside the dome had a fire hose going against the dome. One of the characters put his hand up on the dome and his hand was wet. So it is safe to extrapolate that O² will filter in as well as H²O.

They mentioned that, but I think it was determined that only a trickle of water actually got thru ... thus meaning the amount of air would be very small as well..

Surface area! Lots and lots of surface area. If I had the motivation, I would try to figure out the square footage and a guess on how many liters of air get in. Also there are plenty of trees inside the dome too. But suffice to say the "MacGuffin" allows enough air to breathe, filtration of pollutants, and whatever else is necessary to advance the plot. :)

You'd actually want volume. 4/3 x pi x r cubed. Then divide by two since half is underground. Just need the radius or diameter of the dome. That will give us the amount of space the dome is occupying.

S~

You'd actually want volume. 4/3 x pi x r cubed. Then divide by two since half is underground. Just need the radius or diameter of the dome. That will give us the amount of space the dome is occupying.

S~
The dome arrival scene and the fact that it was vertical deep underground in the mine suggest that it is cylindrical. It is unknown how high it is or if it has a top or bottom.

Last edited:

Ok if the air gets through then what about the missile that the military blew up on the dome? Was it nuclear? Wouldn't the radiation get through too?

It was a non nuclear bomb, so that wont be an issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43/B_Massive_Ordnance_Air_Blast_bomb

?mo?.æb/, commonly known as theMother of All Bombs) is a large-yield thermobaric (non-nuclear) bomb, developed for the United States military by Albert L. Weimorts, Jr. of the Air Force Research Laboratory.[SUP][1][/SUP] At the time of development, it was touted as the most powerful non-nuclear weapon ever designed
[/URL]

While it may be cyndrical underground. Above ground it is a dome or half a sphere. Same formula would apply. Find the volume of the sphere and divide by two. Doesn't matter what is underground. You just need to figure out above ground.

S~

S~

What ever happened to the kid's survey? I seem to remember it was something like 10 mines in diameter or about 262 cubic miles above ground volume, or 157 square miles of surface area.

I would also like to know what is at the center point of the dome...

The dome arrival scene and the fact that it was vertical deep underground in the mine suggest that it is cylindrical. It is unknown how high it is or if it has a top or bottom.
By definition, "dome" means round. Otherwise the show/book would be "Inside the Box". Also, a round object's wall can appear vertical based on a) how large the radius is and b) the section that you're looking at. Look outside and tell us if the earth / ground is flat or curved. It *is* curved but 99% of people will say flat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

While it may be cyndrical underground. Above ground it is a dome or half a sphere. Same formula would apply. Find the volume of the sphere and divide by two. Doesn't matter what is underground. You just need to figure out above ground.

S~
You're presuming the center of the dome is coincident to the earth's surface ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Close enough for govt. work. The curvature of the Earth will not make that big of a difference in total volume in that small of an area compared to the total surface area of the Earth.

S~

Close enough for govt. work. The curvature of the Earth will not make that big of a difference in total volume in that small of an area compared to the total surface area of the Earth.
You're mixing two of my posts together. Imagine it looks like this (click it for larger image): dome.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)