Video - Echostar Tr50 Atsc Dvr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Here is a look at the Echostar TR50 ATSC Tuner / DVR. This unit won best of show from CNET, its a very interesting product.

[youtube]ei2wwnKIlQ4[/youtube]

This looks like Charlie's revenge for the Tivo lawsuits. Dual tuner OTA DVR with VOD over broadband with no subscription would be killer. No need for cable or satellite if you can live without the extra channels. Would be great for extra TVs in the house instead of additional DVRs at 12 bucks a month each too.

I would hope that this kind of no fee box would cause both DISH & DIrectv to reexamine their dvr fees. I don't see why they need to charge per box anyway. When DISH had no dvr fees they raked in the subs. REmember DIrectv had 9.99 fee back then . Now DIrectv has one 4.99 dvr fee per house hold. DISH is just plain greedy. I am seriously thinking of dumping my extra dvrs and go with the TR50s fed by both ota and the tv 2 output of my 722. THen I could watch my 722 on any of my tr50 receivers and skip paying the damn fees. But keep the functionality of the dvrs for ota.

Thanks for the video overview, but what happened to the audio? It was "white crushed" as the say. Any chance it can be re-posted to YouTube to eliminate the clipping?

The TR-50 looks like the DVR for Everyone. I'd buy one for my Toshiba 34HF81 that doesn't have an ATSC tuner built-in, making it a full HDTV with DVR capability. Sweet!

What is the cost going to be to buy?

Or will you have to lease from DISH?

Will there be monthly fee to use it?

When will it ship?

How many hours of SD And HD recording?

Will the remote shape and layout be similar to the 622/722 DVR?

And will the skip forward / skip backward buttons still be on the remote?

Will the Remote be RF or just IR?

Thanks, bjf

Sorry nothing can be done about the audio. :(

I think the camera was limiting the audio even though the meters did not look like they were peaking. We were wearing headphones, but with all the noise in the hall the audio sounded fine.

I saw of pic of it somewhere, It looked just like a 622's OTA guide, but white instead of yellow. (you know the OTA coloring).

YOu can look at the video in depth at CNET.com website. IT has a long look at the back , front and the menus guides etc. It looks almost identical to the guides the 622/722 has.

Since it is not a Dish Network product, then it is possible to see them doing a deal with a Netflix or company like that for VOD offerings.

I think the KEY to all of this is TWO things.

1) How much up front?

AND

2) Are there any per-month costs?

The rest will work out itself. My house would be in for two if they are priced under 100/each AND had no ongoing monthly fees.

I think the KEY to all of this is TWO things.

1) How much up front?

AND

2) Are there any per-month costs?

The rest will work out itself. My house would be in for two if they are priced under 100/each AND had no ongoing monthly fees.

1) Not announced, but its going to be agressively priced.

2) Probably not since its OTA there is no way for them to turn on/turn off service to the box. However any IPTV would have a cost associated with them

1) Not announced, but its going to be agressively priced.

2) Probably not since its OTA there is no way for them to turn on/turn off service to the box. However any IPTV would have a cost associated with them

You don't think they could do something like make the box just a tuner if you don't have it hooked to the internet? In other words, no ethernet hookup, no DVR? I just cannot see Echostar passing up a chance to make a buck. Maybe I am cynical. :D

Now that I think about it a bit, the TR-50 might be a decent product to use with several different IPTV services. One that comes to mind is the new Sky Angel IPTV service. I wonder if it will be possible to use it in this way, or if it will be limited to whatever Dish Network chooses to do.

You don't think they could do something like make the box just a tuner if you don't have it hooked to the internet? In other words, no ethernet hookup, no DVR? I just cannot see Echostar passing up a chance to make a buck. Maybe I am cynical. :D

You have to remember, Dish isn't making the box. The company has split. Echostar is making the box, in the interview, the guy said that any company can use the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)