VIDEO - Hopper .vs Genie

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hopper is short sighted when it comes to tuners. Most people I install it for don't like the limitations of three tuners. Remember it also uses one tuner when it does guide updates too. I have a hard time switching people from dtv hr34 to the hopper system.

lol, made me laugh
genie owners know the truth though, and dont mind educationg people on the limitations of each system

Since the Hr44 is STILL an unannounced product the only thing they could compare it to is the HR 34.

Personally I think the HR34 does some things better then the Hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
They didn't even compair anything.

AT ALL!!!.

Wow you won Dish!!! you won a Satellite guys award thats filled with nothing but 3/4 dish subscribers. LOL!

oh I know...reminds me of Urlacher and his new "Crapcast" commercials

They showed a " Loading" circle on the Directv side that doesn't even exist. LOL
They raced a fake Kangaroo Vs a Fake Genie. LOL!!! Wow, I'm sold. LOL!

I never had a Hopper DVR but I will say I am impressed with the HR34's capabilities. It is a quick little device!
I played with an HR34 today at my Brothers house, the first gen Hopper and the newer Hopper with Sling are faster plus Hopper with Sling has a bigger HDD plus if your HDD dies with the Genie any thing on a EHDD goes up in smoke ;) I do have both providers and have actually had DIRECTV longer.

exactly. For the person who watches very little network programming its real simple
5 tuners will beat 3 tuners anyday of the week.

Yep. We watch half and half pretty much. It would really be a fight if I downgraded from 9 tuners to 3. Plus the unified list between the dvrs means less IT questions at home.

I don't get the speed thing. I never wait on the HR34.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

I played with an HR34 today at my Brothers house, the first gen Hopper and the newer Hopper with Sling are faster plus Hopper with Sling has a bigger HDD plus if your HDD dies with the Genie any thing on a EHDD goes up in smoke ;) I do have both providers and have actually had DIRECTV longer.

Agreed. 3 Hoppers here, faster than HR34, 9 true DVR tuners, 3 times as much space as HR34, what's not to like? I also like how it still keeps the DVR lists separate (drop down list) as I prefer not having to wade through 3 DVRs of content at once.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

They showed a " Loading" circle on the Directv side that doesn't even exist. LOL
They raced a fake Kangaroo Vs a Fake Genie. LOL!!! Wow, I'm sold. LOL!

I have a Hopper system but I have to agree with your analysis of what the video actually demostrated. LoL. Still I have 100+ movies, 400+ TV shows on my hopper all mostly in HD. Can the Genie hold that much?

Dish didn't want to pee in their pool, which is why they made the cartoon.

Dish didn't do a side by side comparison of the Hopper and Genie because the Genie guide and channel changes are just as fast as the Hopper.

CES took place during day time hours, which at that time, the Hopper is only capable of recording 3 programs, ptat could not be done because of the time CES was going on. The Genie can record 5 programs all day long.

Dish couldn't do a 1H/3J comparison to a 1G/3C setup because it would of shown the limitations of a 1H/3J setup. It would shown how one of the Joeys would been stuck watching what the Hopper or another Joey was watching or be stuck watching a recorded program and no recording could happen without having a viewing conflict. A 1G/3C setup would of had the Genie and all three clients all watching different live programming and still have one more tuner free to record a 5th program.

Last edited:
Maybe someday if Dish and Direct TV merge they will come out with an ultimate DVR. I wish Dish would come out with a SWIM switch like Direct has. I will have to have two DPP44 switches to have a third Hopper. Why can't Dish TV have just one switch that can handle three DVRs! Also will have to buy that third Hopper. I am not real sure but I think with Direct I can lease three DVRs. I am going to hold off switching to Hopper/Joeys untill the HR44 comes out and read the reviews for a better comparison of it and the Hopper Sling. Also would like the Hopper Sling be out a little while to get some of the bugs out of it, if any.

Because the chose an antiquated switching tech in the Hopper. Switching in an entire 500mhz for one tuner when only 250mhz is usable and 20mhz is used. Dumb.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

I was a DISH customer with SD only, but when I tried to upgrade to the Hopper, I needed new cabling to 3 GHz to the Hopper and have the dish mounted on the house to point to the satellites needed. With the DirectTV, no new wiring needed and the satellite could be placed in the same location (different pole) as my old Dish 500 was.

I didn't have a Hopper to compare, but I have been extremely satisfied with the HR34. I am amazed of how many shows I have saved and yet my DVR says I still have 71% free. I do not have clients (I switched before the Genie promotion). I do notice a slow down from time to time when watching on a remote TV, but it has seem to have gotten better over the past few months (maybe some software updates happened). I love the 5 tuners. I looked at upgrading to a client so I could pause Live TV on the remote TV's, but they wanted $149, so not doing that yet.

I'm sure if I had gotten the Hopper, I would have been satisfied with it as well, though the 3 tuners may have been slightly annoying. We really only watch 2 TV's of the 3 anyway, so I could have worked any recordings (with PTAT) around it, but the 5 tuners means I really do not have to think about it.

I just switched from D* to E* and got 2 Hoppers, one with Sling.

Channel changing is about the same between the two systems if you have Native Off and only one resolution picked on the D* system. E* doesn't offer that.

In all other respects, the Hopper is much quicker in every action. I also like the idea of an EHD that actually has real value in that I can archive a video to it and it will work with either Hopper, or even an older Vip unit and is not locked to a single receiver. I never used and EHD with D* as it is locked to the receiver and replaces the internal drive, ie; of little value imo.

One benefit is that I now have 1/2 or less series timers since PTAT covers the others, for me that is a big plus. And I really like the 3 hour window in the guide, never was fond of D*'s 1.5 hour window. I really like having the much bigger HD inside the Hopper. I also like the channel lineup a bit better with E*. And I certainly like the hugely better SD that E* brings to the table!

I could use with a lot less icons and more list options though.

I miss the ease of recording on the fly that D* had, and I think the search function is better on D*.

I was aware of how to hit the record and I do it if watching a game, but it is a little inconvenient

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts