Viewing DVR through home network?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

iadubber

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Farley, Iowa, United States
Hello everyone! I've been out of contract with DISH for over a year now and have an itch for something new even though my 722k has been dead nuts reliable for us.

What I am looking for is does DISH have an option to watch DVR programs through my home network on the app? The issue is we don't have internet so the sling is not an option. I want to be able to watch DVR shows on my iPad while I am on the treadmill or out in the garage connected to my TV where I can't get a cable to it. (or I just don't want to fish a cable out there).

Do I have any options here? Thanks!

Unfortunately even the built in sling on the Hopper has to first go on the internet before working. (After that brief moment it does not use the internet)

The actual slingbox does not use the internet at all when you are on your home system. It will work without an internet connection just going through a router. However to set up a slingbox you may need an internet connection but perhaps not. It may set up and just tell you it can not be used remotely. (Meaning beyond your router to the outside)
Using the computer Slingplayer program it actually will tell you that you have no internet connection and show you only the slingboxes on your local system.

One caveat - I do not have the newer generation slingboxes, I have the Pro and older ones. I can't vouch for how the newest slingboxes work, but you can get the pro or older on Ebay.

Without the internet...in sling with any dish box will not work. It needs initial internet connection. Once the app starts streaming...the local network takes over & no internet connection is required.

You may consider the Hopper system with a Wireless Joey. If the garage isn't too far away you might be able to bring the Joey there with you along with bringing it to the tread mill. You would need a TV in those rooms of course.

Good to know, however that doesn't tell us if it works with the Slingplayer program on the computer and without any internet needed however!

As for the latest gen of Slingboxes (350, 500 renamed Sling TV, and M1): yeah, they do make initial contact via internet. In fact, that is a big irritation to some Slingbox owners on the Sling forums because even if they just want to stream via their LAN, if you do not have internet, you've got no Sling. So, if you lose internet for a period like an outage, you can't Sling on your LAN to entertain yourself.

Also, if you choose to view your Sling content on a PC or laptop you must use a browser (the older PC apps for viewing are NOT supported by the new generation), and for both PC/laptop and mobile device, you must sign on to your Sling account first: you need internet. In the case of a smart phone, your can use your cell phone service provider's network to log on to your Sling account and then commence Sling viewing on your cell phone network. Of course, this will really eat into your data usage for the smart phone.

However, there may be a Slingbox solution in the case of viewing Sling content on your Roku. The Roku Sling app is limited to functioning with smart phones ONLY, for now.

First add the Sling app from the Roku channels store. The app is FREE (unlike for the Sling apps for other devices). I think the Sling app may only function or is available on the later generations of Roku, so please research that point first. You begin the process by using your smart phone to access your Sling account and content via your smart phone (using the cell phone network). Then once your content is Slinging to your smart phone, you can select to "cast" the content to your Roku. That will cause the Slingbox to drop the connection to the smart phone and, instead, send content directly FROM the Slingbox itself to the Roku, wherever it may be. If the Roku is on your LAN, then you are now Slinging on your LAN to the Roku. At this point your smart phone now becomes your Sling remote control, and I believe is the only means to control your Sling experience on the Roku. However, you are no longer using your cell phone network to Sling your content and nor are you any longer using your allowance of data on your smart phone plan.

Try this out and see if it works for you. Let us know what your finally do.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
If you disconnect the internet, leaving the Roku connected to the Router can you still establish a connection with a smartphone and have the smartphone no longer using data?
If so that would also be a work around though getting an older PRO version would allow you to do that OR use a computer.

As for the latest gen of Slingboxes (350, 500 renamed Sling TV, and M1): yeah, they do make initial contact via internet. In fact, that is a big irritation to some Slingbox owners on the Sling forums because even if they just want to stream via their LAN, if you do not have internet, you've got no Sling. So, if you lose internet for a period like an outage, you can't Sling on your LAN to entertain yourself.

The only Sling thing I own is a Sling Adapter. Apparently I failed in my due diligence before buying, because it has these same limitations. Drives me crazy and I now regard my $99 a complete waste of money and I almost never use it. I already had a Monsoon Multimedia Hava Platinum that will work with a crossover cable! Why oh why is Dish (1) eliminating standalone SlingPlayer clients and (2) forcing me to use a browser and (3) making me log into their servers first before I can view content? :mad::oldno

By the way, what happened to the "rant" emoticon? It's not :rant: that's for sure!

Let us not waste a good rant...

JC_rant.gif

Reactions: TheKrell
Like the OP, I’m interested in watching the recorded HD content on our ViP 622 DVR on a 2nd TV that is in our house but not connected to the 622. Our internet upload bandwidth is pitiful. So I wish to limit the use of the internet as much as possible

If I got this right, the cheapest way to do this without increasing our monthly Dish fees, etc. is to purchase a…

Slingbox M1 — $150
Sling Player app for an iPhone or iPad — $15
Roku Streaming Stick - $50
——————————————————
Total — $215

The Slingbox M1 will capture the HD video output from the ViP 622 TV1 component output and
after a brief connection to Sling’s servers over the internet,
the Slingbox M1 will sling the video over our existing home wireless network to,
the Sling Player app running on our iPhone or iPad which can,
AirPlay the HD video to the Roku Streaming stick plugged into (and powered by) the 2nd TV's HDMI port.

All this stuff simply mirrors the Vip 622 TV1 HD video output, via our home wireless network, to a 2nd TV.

Is this correct? Is there a cheaper/better way?

Thanks in advance.

Why not just mirror it to
That room. $50+ any tech visit fee that may apply. Hell of a lot cheaper
I not sure what you mean. But since it includes a tech visit, I assume it involves some sort of cabling between the 622 and "that room".

I realize now that I didn't make it clear that we want to be able to view the HD DVR content on the 622 on a TV in ANY other room/detached-garage/guest house etc. that is reachable via our home wireless network. Today's 32" class LCD TVs are light enough to carry almost anywhere. That's why my parts list included the Roku Streaming Stick to make the process of switching locations as easy as possible (i.e. one TV with a single power cord). IOW we don't want to have a TV in every location, but we want to be able to move a TV to any location at anytime without paying Dish a higher monthly fee for the privilege (e.g. Hopper/Joey).

Your best bet, the. Would be doing the above mentioned deal, of using a sling box. Especially if it is wireless you're going for.

There is also these options and no internet is needed at all.
1. Slingbox Pro either on Ebay or elsewhere, use the free Slingplayer for computer. If you have a laptop connect that to the TV. If using this method you can actually use an even less expensive older Slingbox.
2. Same as above, but must be a Pro or higher, if no computer I suggest the WD Player. It has a true built in Slingplayer and works exceedingly well when using your own LAN. Again no internet needed so if the internet is down you still can watch.

The older Slingboxen (I'm thinking of my Slingbox Solo that Amazon is currently offering for $69.99) did NOT require an Internet connection to set up. There may have been some whining about not being able to download updates.

Instead of using the Slingbox ID locating method, you can just punch in an IP address into the Slingplayer software. That said, it has been a rather long time and I had an Internet connection when I did the setup.

Note: the Slingplayer software is NOT compatible with the DISH Sling Adapters or the HWS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)