ViP 922 Software update to S124

Not everyone wants or needs a Hopper! When I had my 922, it was fine for my viewing needs. Of course, it took five replacements before I got a stable one, but once I did it was rock solid!

Thank you Kazoo. You're exactly right. Sure the 922 had its problems. But as of late it has been rock solid. I'm looking for an answer as to what the software update did. Not what hardware recommendations one has.

Reactions: KazooGuy
Heard that many times already....my 922 has suited me well.
After CES, perhaps there will be a stronger incentive to move to the Hopper. In any event, I doubt the ViP922 will be supported for too many more years. Looks like it will be the next box to go.

I take it you don't Sling? It will no longer be available for new placements. Not a good sign for current users, either.

After CES, perhaps there will be a stronger incentive to move to the Hopper. In any event, I doubt the ViP922 will be supported for too many more years. Looks like it will be the next box to go.

I take it you don't Sling? It will no longer be available for new placements. Not a good sign for current users, either.

Navy -

Good question. I sling ALL the time. From what I have seen here, replacements will still have sling enabled, yes?

The update to both the 922 and the Dish Anywhere app has seemed to integrate the functionality even further.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Yes, I doubt they would ever dare to disable sling on existing units.

Gotta be at least a couple more years for the ViP922, and I suspect a few more. But one day, they will likely make you an offer you're not allowed to refuse: The Hopper X with no increased fee for a year or two.

Maybe they included a self destruct code in the newest software. That way they can push everyone left with one to the hopper and get the extra $2.00 fee. :devilish

Reactions: navychop
It's ironic though 'cause when it was first released, I assure you there was a LOT of excitement about it here and plenty of members jumped at them when they were made available !
But they never lived up to their full potential and when they announced the sling extender ( gives you tv 2 in HD) was never going to come to market, I bailed. Now they have even turned off the sling feature for any new arrivals. There simply is NO reason to have the 922 now with the hopper with sling available.

Personally, I would never buy into something based on promises (vaporware). Hell, I didn't join the Hopper crowd until ~9 months after it's release (even then, I think our 722k bit the dust and I arranged for the H/J instead of a replacement 722k).

This person is happy with their 922.... I don't see the need to disparage him/her over it.

Personally, I would never buy into something based on promises (vaporware). Hell, I didn't join the Hopper crowd until ~9 months after it's release (even then, I think our 722k bit the dust and I arranged for the H/J instead of a replacement 722k).

This person is happy with their 922.... I don't see the need to disparage him/her over it.
I'm not disparaging him for having the 922, to each his own. Now I remember why I had you on ignore.
:computerwindow

I was a happy 922 user. I had it when it was in beta and used it up until the day the Hopper was released. I really liked the 922 a lot at the time but the Hopper was a major improvement. The 922 never ended up living up to the hype but few things ever do. Dish basically tried to to come up with a whole home DVR solution while still using the VIP receiver technology and they discovered that it was not going to work as well as they wanted to. They ended up scrapping the ideas they had and put their efforts into the new Hopper system.

I for one am very happy with the Hopper system and think that the 922 had a lot to do with how the Hopper turned out. I think we can give a little appreciation to the 922 for that.

I moved to the 922 so I had the newer GUI and still retained the two tvs with one receiver like the 722K it replaced. The rock solid unit churned along fine and I smiled every time I read a complaint from someone when a new Hopper update broke something new!

Reactions: krauser1
I can appreciate everyone's opinions about the 922. To me though, the 922 was the "experiment" of the hopper system. While many items may have failed - software or hardware wise over the life of the 922, it still has the backbone of hopper and sling functionality with and updated GUI.

Yes, I doubt they would ever dare to disable sling on existing units.

Gotta be at least a couple more years for the ViP922, and I suspect a few more. But one day, they will likely make you an offer you're not allowed to refuse: The Hopper X with no increased fee for a year or two.
Right. Dish did state that current subs with 922's would keep Sling, but not new users.

My 922 was GREAT. I did not have the problems I read about here. The 922 even had better color scheme for the EPG that I wish they would use for the Hopper. Yes, the Hopper does more, but the 922 was a great box for us. However, neutering the Sling really does make the 922 a more expensive ViP 722K with only a better UI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)