Visit by Dish Tect

Bobkatz

Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
NY
A couple of days ago Dish tect replaced my 301 receiver with a VIP211K and my dish 500 with a 1000.2. He insisted on taking the old dish saying he might need it on another job also the LNB which he said goes back to the shop.

Now inside when he finished hooking up the 211k he was taking the cardboard box along with the user manual which he never offered to me! I mentioned "I would like to have it" He says "You don't need it, everything is available on your tv!" I insisted that "I should have it in case the system is down, so I have some info to read on hand!" He finally let me have it before he left! Why is it called a User Manual if the user doesen't get to keep it?

Was this a normal visit by a tect? I've had my system since 2003 & have taken care of it myself all the time, by doing quite a bit of reading helpful info on the internet, like this place.

Sounds like you had in independent installer. He probably needed the box to send back the receiver to Dish or dispose of it. Also, a lot of the newer Dish receivers no longer come with a manual, but I an kind of surprised he didn't want to leave it. They can be downloaded from Dish's tech site. As far as the old Dish, you really don't own it (just like the old receiver) and it is possible the lnb may not be compatible with your new one so I don't see a reason to keep it unless you were going to try and sell them. The installer would probably be able to use it to replace a bad one for someone else (which they really don't get paid for). I understand why you may want to hold on to them, but I don't see as a big deal.

With the current upgrades your installer contracted or not probably has access to many old dish 500s. If you were switched to Eastern Arc that probably means most customers being upgraded are moving away from dish 500s so they are of little value and I doubt DISH really wants them back. I expect it would cost more to return them than their salvage value.

Now I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of dish 500s on ebay and craig's list increase trying to tap into the number of uneducated people that don't read the forums and keep up with changing technology.

If you are really upset contact DIRT with information on your installer.

As far as the old Dish, you really don't own it (just like the old receiver)
Is this true, interesting, with directv you OWN the dish, lnb and all the cabling, which is why they try to charge for service calls to fix them, you usually lease the receivers though. Does dish do free service calls? If they do I suppose it makes since.

The lnb is definitely the property of Dish. That is why they request that you send it back with the receivers when you cancel service. Then, you tell them that you can't reach the lnb safely and they waive that part....

Reactions: brad1138
The lnb is definitely the property of Dish.

Once again, I ask, how do you know that? I read the original post a couple of times and didn't see that information. I personally own several dishes with multiple lnb's for each dish. I also own all but one of my receivers.

Reactions: TheKrell
Once again, I ask, how do you know that? I read the original post a couple of times and didn't see that information. I personally own several dishes with multiple lnb's for each dish. I also own all but one of my receivers.

The LNBF is property of DISH which is why we ask for it back. The dish does become property of the account holder. However, the tech will take an old dish with them when they upgrade the dish to a newer model. This is for customer convenience, as most customers do not want an old satellite dish.

Reactions: brad1138
The LNBF is property of DISH which is why we ask for it back. The dish does become property of the account holder. However, the tech will take an old dish with them when they upgrade the dish to a newer model. This is for customer convenience, as most customers do not want an old satellite dish.

So, those lnb's I bought new in the box from authorized resellers don't belong to me?

Reactions: TheKrell
The installer either needed the box for something else. When I ran the Dishstore I used to keep boxes all the time to ship equipment.

No reason why he would want to keep the manual , but not like you really needed it anyways.

The dish nobody really wants or tracks. It's garbage, unless the installer had another use for it.

He shouldn't have had s reason to keep any on it, and must customers wouldn't Argue because it gets thrown away anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)