VoIP Caller ID via Ethernet Port

kaman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Obviously, Caller ID works on the 622 phone/RJ45 connection (VoIP or traditional phone). I know about all that. But has anyone heard if you can use the Ethernet for VoIP Caller ID or heard any rumors of this being an option in the future? You would have to get your phone service over the Internet (i.e VoIP) for this to be possible.

I realize the modem from the cable company has two outputs, RJ45 for VoIP/phone and Ethernet for broadband/Internet. The RJ45 connection only carries the phone signal, so your household phones/wiring/jacks can be used. However, I'm certain the data stream coming out the Ethernet side of the modem contains both the Internet as well as the VoIP information (i.e. you can install software, such as Sphericall, on a PC to make calls, for caller ID, etc).

I guess the 622 would need software to be able to read VoIP caller ID info directly from the data stream via Ethernet. Is it built in the DISH software already? I would think the Caller ID information on VoIP signals must be standardized, or else 911 call centers would have to install proprietary Caller ID software for every VoIP provider in the country.

Caller ID is a nuisance anyway.

I don't want it on my TV.

I have it where it belongs, on my phone (my module announces the number calling, or if it is known, who is calling).

You'd have to plug the phone line from the 622 into the VoIP phone jack. Is that really what you want to do?

Then you might as well leave it plugged in all the time.

Cheers,

Maybe DISH is getting smart and considering providing VOIP service. Since these boxes run some form of Linux, they can send data out the phone port from the Ethernet port.

Last edited:
The 622 isn't going to be able to sniff your network and grab packets that are going to your VoIP box. If you have a switch then the packets won't even physically go to the 622.

The 622 isn't going to be able to sniff your network and grab packets that are going to your VoIP box. If you have a switch then the packets won't even physically go to the 622.

I'm not a networking expert, but I do have some experience. I'm not sure I agree with the packets not even physically getting to the 622. I think the data path carries everything, including the VoIP packets. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to access VoIP services (like caller ID) from the PC (no phone/RJ45 plugged into PC, just Ethernet) with the right software.

Below are the paths. The cable modem acts like a fork in the road.

For Data:

Cable from street==>Cable Modem/VoIP Box==>Wireless Router (Ethernet)==>Cat5 Home Network==>622 (Ethernet via Ethernet jack in the wall)

For Phone/VoIP:

Cable from street==>Cable Modem/VoIP Box==>Phone punch panel hub (RJ45)==>Phone Wiring in the House==>622 (Phone via phone jack in the wall)

You'd have to plug the phone line from the 622 into the VoIP phone jack. Is that really what you want to do?

Well...not really. That is kind of the whole point of this post. That is essentially what I am doing now via phone jack in the wall (see above). You are correct that it isn't a big deal to keep the phone line hooked up to 622 just to get the CallerID. I am just curious if there was a way to get the caller ID info via Ethernet instead.

Unlike Jim5506, I like seeing who is calling me without running over to the phone to read the tiny LCD screen on the phone itself. I suppose you could say I am being lazy. Personally, I think the caller ID is one of the cooler features of the 622. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I'm not a networking expert, but I do have some experience. I'm not sure I agree with the packets not even physically getting to the 622. I think the data path carries everything, including the VoIP packets. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to access VoIP services (like caller ID) from the PC (no phone/RJ45 plugged into PC, just Ethernet) with the right software.

Nope.. if you have a switch and your switch is not malfunctioning then the packets from the router to the VoIP box will not be sent to the 622.

In theory it is possible even in a switched network.
I can think of two configs that should in theory work with proper packet sniffing software (most likely on a linux system with no 3rd part support) I think only sipura even has something remotely similar to what you are asking. I am not up on voip stuff much like this so maybe someone has come out with stuff.

1) Internet -> HSI device -> Router/switch/etc -> caller id server - voip adapter - rest of network
Caller ID available to rest of network though port forwarding on adapter. One benefit of having the call-id server being linux is you could easily make it a nice firewall/VPN/etc server

Second config involves a non-switched hub. This seutp would make all packets available to all network clients, but I don't think voip should be run in a non-switched setup.
2) Internet ->HSI device ->router -> hub - (caller id server, adapter, rest of the bunch)

As for if dish implements it on a 622 or any other Ethernet capable receiver. Maybe if the programmers get bored is my guess

Edit:

I think I read at one point that some of the voip adapters have the call-id info on the internal webpage. I supposed you could write or find a program to continuously monitor and screen scrape the info.

It could be done in a switched network if the box scoops from the devices HTML page, but that's not going to happen.

So the moral of the story... if you want caller ID on your 622 in its lifetime, hook up a phone line from your VoIP box to it. Done deal.

It could be done in a switched network if the box scoops from the devices HTML page, but that's not going to happen.

So the moral of the story... if you want caller ID on your 622 in its lifetime, hook up a phone line from your VoIP box to it. Done deal.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with ya. Other than for gits and shiggles for Tuxcoder and other, I don't see enough demand for it to be a nicely rounded commercial product. Is the OP likely to do one of the two configs I mentioned--- No, I don't think so. Heck I love gadgets and programming and I wouldn't take my time to set this up, not worth the effort for the few phone calls I receiver while sitting at my computer.

maybe we are both wrong and will be pleasently surprised someday though. :)

Obviously, Caller ID works on the 622 phone/RJ45 connection (VoIP or traditional phone). I know about all that.
You need to do a fact check on what you "know". Telephone Jacks are RJ11. RJ45 is the 8 position connector typically used for Ethernet.
But has anyone heard if you can use the Ethernet for VoIP Caller ID or heard any rumors of this being an option in the future? You would have to get your phone service over the Internet (i.e VoIP) for this to be possible.
Not until full-fledged VOIP capability finds its way into satellite receivers.

I realize the modem from the cable company has two outputs, RJ45 for VoIP/phone and Ethernet for broadband/Internet. The RJ45 connection only carries the phone signal, so your household phones/wiring/jacks can be used. However, I'm certain the data stream coming out the Ethernet side of the modem contains both the Internet as well as the VoIP information (i.e. you can install software, such as Sphericall, on a PC to make calls, for caller ID, etc).

Small technical correction: A common household phone jack is an RJ11 (or, less commonly, RJ-14) jack. The RJ11 jack connects two wires inside a six-wire housing, for one phone line; the RJ14 connects four of the six wires, for two lines.

An RJ45 jack is an ethernet jack, with an eight wire housing. Or I should say that it's the informal term for the ethernet jack, although technically that is incorrect. You can read the Wikipedia article for more information.

This message has been brought to you by the Tedious Knowledge division of Nitpicking Information Industries. Our motto: If You Don't Want to Smack Us Hard, then We're not Doing our Job.

You need to do a fact check on what you "know". Telephone Jacks are RJ11. RJ45 is the 8 position connector typically used for Ethernet.

Ohhhh!!!....So THAT'S why my computer cable thingy was too big to fit into my new wall jack thingy I installed in the basement!!!

You're obviously correct. Actually, I was/am well aware that RJ11=phone and RJ45=Ethernet, since I terminated the phone/data/cable for a friend's rental unit recently (and it works)...LOL I don't know why I typed it way that, my brain-fart must have had a brain when I messaged my type.

I get a pass since I said I wasn't a networking expert, right?

if you have voip, just plug in the phoneline for caller id to work. and then to allow your receiver to call home, set the prefix to *99 on the phone settings menu page. if you dont set the prefix, the rec cannot dial out properly on voip.

if you have voip, just plug in the phoneline for caller id to work. and then to allow your receiver to call home, set the prefix to *99 on the phone settings menu page. if you dont set the prefix, the rec cannot dial out properly on voip.

The *99 is not true for all VoIP providers. Actually that code is provider specific.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)