voom dvr and dvd burner

cfkillers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
pg county, maryland
i have never had a dvr but now that i am working the night shift i would like to have one. so does anyone know when the dvr is going to be released?
also i have a question about the dvd recorders on the market. can the dvd recorders record like the vcrs did right from the tv and also will it record in dvd quality? what i mean by that is will it be in widescreen format if i record an hd show or will it be in sd format in 4:3 format

How it displays on the screen depends how you have your STB set.

By default it 'squishes' the 16x9 signal onto 4:3. I would imagine if you were to playback this squished signal on a 16x9 TV it'd look fine.

I set my STB to letterbox the HD content that I'm watching on my SD 4:3 TV and it looks GREAT. Of course it has the black bars on the top and bottom. 4:3 content (480i broadcast / SD Voom channels) look fine on the 4:3 set.

It'll record in 480i. If the DVD recorder will accept the Component input you could set the STB to 480p but I'm sure it isn't worth the effort.

Shawn

cfkillers said:
i have never had a dvr but now that i am working the night shift i would like to have one. so does anyone know when the dvr is going to be released?
also i have a question about the dvd recorders on the market. can the dvd recorders record like the vcrs did right from the tv and also will it record in dvd quality? what i mean by that is will it be in widescreen format if i record an hd show or will it be in sd format in 4:3 format

All HDTV DVRs record in 16:9 HD. If it didn't, what would be the point? The quality of live vs. recorded is identical. I've used both the Dish 921 and the DirecTv HD Tivo and they are both fantastic! I'm sure once VOOM gets it's act together it will be great too! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts