VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition

Hi folks!

My TV is a Sony KP-WS510 (CRT-based projection TV with DVI input).

Could this be related to HDCP somehow?

Am I doomed to continue using the component output from the Voom box? (I sold my wife on the receiver by saying I would get rid of those cables with the DVI connection!)
- RV

Okay, here's an update. The problem DOES seem to be the TV. When the TV is left off, I can switch to 1080i (I can't see the picture, but the top line lights up when I hit the red button). The moment I turn on the TV, the bottom line on the Voom box lights up and I'm in 480i and cannot switch.

If it is a TV problem, why doesn't it show up when I watch my HD-DVD through the HDMI? Or, do other devices allow non-HDCP devices in the chain? Then, why would the Voom box act so peculiarly?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm still trying to get a handle on this.

- RV

The VOOM-box will not send 1080i or 720p to a non-HDCP device over DVI. HD DVD, as I understand, will do that, unless explicitly prohibited on specific title. None of the currently released HD DVD titles enforce the downconvertion.

The VOOM-box will not send 1080i or 720p to a non-HDCP device over DVI. HD DVD, as I understand, will do that, unless explicitly prohibited on specific title. None of the currently released HD DVD titles enforce the downconvertion.

Thanks! Component it is, I guess ...

-RV

Channel Scan will not detect Local signals-Voom Box

I recently bought an old Voom box reportedly active as of the kill date, but presumably off line at the time of the kill signal. Software 02.4c so sounds like the latest version. My guess is the machine was active in Georgia and it shows numerous locals programmed in. However, when I run the scan, it refuses to detect any of my locals in another part of the country. I detect locals through another box attached to the same antenna. Any ideas or am I SOL. Have tried to detect locals by manually inputting the first digit of the local signal in the aim antenna mode (can't add the dashes) and it still does not identify them. THanks for any help.

This can be caused by a number of reasons, ranging from a wrong antenna cable connection to a bad tuner.

Make sure you are connecting your antenna to correct connector: there are five(!) similar connectors on the back of the box. Check the picture in post #4.

What signal level do you see when you do "aim antenna"? Does your antenna has a built-in pre-amp? Are you supplying power to it? Do you use a diplexer or any sort of splitter?

Keep in mind that RF channel numbers (that you enter when aiming antenna) are not the same as station channel numbers. For example 3.1 can actually be 2 or something else. You can check antennaweb.org to get correct RF numbers.

Make sure you are connecting your antenna to correct connector: there are five(!) similar connectors on the back of the box. Check the picture in post #4.

Got the right one--thanks.

What signal level do you see when you do "aim antenna"? Nothing--zero

Does your antenna has a built-in pre-amp? I have tried several: A rooftop with an inline signal booster (that works for my other digital tuner in another part of the house) I have also tried rabbit ears with and without a signal booster/amp turned on that is part of the antenna. No better luck.

Are you supplying power to it? See above

Do you use a diplexer or any sort of splitter? I have tried with and without in various permutations of antenna.

Keep in mind that RF channel numbers (that you enter when aiming antenna) are not the same as station channel numbers. For example 3.1 can actually be 2 or something else. You can check antennaweb.org to get correct RF numbers.[/quote]
Thanks--I thought I did this correctly but will re-check and try again.

Any ideas what the "red button" issue might mean?!

Thanks.

Thanks---I had seen that one too. My guess is that either the box was in fact killed on the day the kill signal went out, or the ota pop out module has gone bad. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

My guess is that either the box was in fact killed on the day the kill signal went out
There was no "Kill Day". When VOOM went down there was no kill signal sent out. Unless the user canceled the service ahead of time, but the behavior you are describing doesn't support that theory anyway. ;)

or the ota pop out module has gone bad. Any thoughts? Thanks again.
This is more likely. You can try reinserting it.

Another possible explanation would be bad wiring: A typical case would be an amplified antenna that expects power over the cable. Some OTA boxes do supply voltage over the cable, VOOM box does not (unless connected through the diplexer)! But since you tried different antennas and different channels, then I would strongly suspect bad box.

Oh, and don't worry about that red button! That's not for your situation! :D

Thanks for all this help.

I had read somewhere that there was a kill signal on kill day, so thanks for that clarification. It sounds like I am left with "bad box" as there is simply some defect in the machine that is not worth hunting down (if it could be at all) or a bad pop out OTA module? Is that what you mean when you said "bad box"? I have popped and reset the OTA module and that makes no difference, but think I might be able to get a different one to try---worth the effort from what you know?

Thanks again. This is a terrific forum. Glad to have found it.

I had read somewhere that there was a kill signal on kill day
An urban legend. ;)

It sounds like I am left with "bad box" as there is simply some defect in the machine that is not worth hunting down (if it could be at all) or a bad pop out OTA module? Is that what you mean when you said "bad box"?
It can be either the OTA module or the VOOM box itself.

worth the effort from what you know?
Not sure. Beginning next month, you will be able to apply for 1 or 2 $40 coupons toward a new ATSC converter box, which might a better choice.

I have a question...

Does the Voom box amplify the antenna signal through the coaxial output.. If so, what do you set it to..

I read this somewhere but, I haven't been able to clarify it..

Thanks, Brent

Voom usually installed antennas that had built-in amplifiers. The amplifier requires power (AC or DC voltage) to be sent via the coax cable. In standard Voom installation this was done via a diplexer attached to the back of the Voom box. Basically the same voltage that powered the dish was used to power the amplified antenna (the OTA input is not powered, but the satellite input is).

I was trying a work around for a Tivo Series 2 w/lifetime and had identified a Voom solution. No one in Tivo land is sure what they will do when the atsc boxes come out. Thanks for the help. Will check the ribbon, and a new OTO module is coming cheap, so we'll see. Thanks again all.

DSR 550 shuts down and restarts on CBS

When CBS (channel 11.1 Dallas) is selectedHelp! the unit shuts down and restarts.

known cause.....

simple way to explain it...your CBS station is owned by CBS (I am in the same boat in Minneapolis) and the markets where CBS owns the station the box reboots. Its a technical glitch

Receiver unable to identify resolution?

I've been using the VOOM receiver (at 6.20) for a couple of years without incident. Now, for the last couple of weeks, one channel, RF17 at 98 signal strength, causes the receiver to start scanning all resolutions, then restart itself. I've tried fixed resolutions, reboots and rescans to no avail. All other channels and functions are functioning normally.

Can anyone help me?

I didn't know where to post this, so please excuse me if it should have gone elsewhere.

Thank you.

Addendum to my previous post

Just found the info on the post, after starting at the beginning! Should have looked right above this. My problem is also with the CBS HD channel in Columbia, SC. I know we are somewhat technologically backward, but this just started within the last few weeks.

I'll try the station engineer again to find out about PSIP and datacasting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts