Wave Frontier Toroidal T-90 Satellite Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
To shave the sides of the LNBF feedhorn, you maybe able to do it fast using a bench grinder. :D

Just a thought :confused:

Attachments

• nut1120.jpg
    nut1120.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 313
2 degree spacing works on Toroidal T90!!!!!!

WOW it works!!!!

Got three satellites in a row. 119, 121, and 123. Previously thought as impossible on the T90.

Thanks Iceburg for making me question the 3 degrees limit.

Here are the scan results;
119 = 451 channels
121 = 157 channels
123 = 43 channels

Attachments

• MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 498
You guys should buy the Smart Titanium 0.2dB LNBs instead as they are very small.

Sadoun said:
To shave the sides of the LNBF feedhorn, you maybe able to do it fast using a bench grinder. :D

Just a thought :confused:

Is it a service you are offering your customers? :D

jerryt said:
WOW it works!!!!

Got three satellites in a row. 119, 121, and 123. Previously thought as impossible on the T90.

Thanks Iceburg for making me question the 3 degrees limit.

Here are the scan results;
119 = 451 channels
121 = 157 channels
123 = 43 channels

COOL!!!

I know I was monkeying around last night and got 72/74 peaked in and also 83/85 really good. Still trying 101/103 but its harder due to the skew on 103 going the opposite way so it hits the 101 LNB

Likvid said:
You guys should buy the Smart Titanium 0.2dB LNBs instead as they are very small.

got a picture? A few of my LNB's are pretty small but the ones that Jerry shows are easy to ziptie

Iceberg said:
G10 is tricky due to being on the end of the line. KWTO came in at 75 and 11800 TP was between 58-60, 11720 is low at 30 but stable. I have some working on that one to do

I've aimed my T90 almost identically to your's- with 101 in the middle. The LNB holder for T5/97 ended up being right against and 'inside" of the LNB bar attachment post.

I cannot receive G10R at all.

I note weaker signals with the antenna is aimed & the LNBF is placed away from the center of the LNBF bar vs aiming the antenna directly at the satellite and the LNBF is placed at the center of the bar. Have you observed this?

I have spent >100 hours trying to get almost the same LNBFs with the antenna aimed in the same direction.

Did you find the tolerances of the alignment to be very small? If I peak my signals across all LNBFs, and just push the antenna about a degree on any axis with a finger, a noticable decrease in signal is observed. I also notice variations of signal in strong winds as the antenna leaves and then returns fully to the aligned position. After a strong storm, it is always necessary to go back and re-align.

I've since moved my T90 over from 103 being middle to 93 being middle (I now have 72-110) but I know KU on the end (past the 20 degree mark) is tough. Baiscally I just moved it slowly around where it should be and twisted the LNB holder as need be to optimize the signal.

Also it depends on where you are lcoated. I am in MN so 87, 89, 91, 93, 95, 97, 99, 101 are all within .5 degree on the elevation scale (93 is my TS).

Sadoun said:
No need to skew the LNBFs on the T90. The dish skew takes care of that.

This has not been my experience with linear polarized satellites T90.

The antenna itself seems to be best aligned such that the LNB bar is "illuminated" somewhat, or matches, the arc of the geosync orbit belt. Then I line up my linear LNBFs. Each one has a unique skew, with the LNBF rotated within the ring-clamp for peak signal when attached to the LNB holder. The skew is sometimes zero but sometimes not, depending on the satellite.

jerryt said:
Thanks Sadoun and Iceburg.

Yes, that has been my experience, no lnb skew needed with the T90. Makes things much simplier to setup.

Awesome having all the satellites in one dish, but the switching of 8 satellites into 8 receivers, is the part that takes work (and $).

I'm thinking of trying a large EMP Centauri DiSeqC switch like this one:
http://www.emp-centauri.cz/products.php?menuId=2&page=170-cp-16
It seems to use 16 switching states of the 2.0 standard.

I've yet to see anyone in the North America using it. There may be a very good reason for this. Any thoughts as to why it would/wouldn't work?

The company has a few canadian dealers but I don't see anyone in the US on their registered dealer's list. One supplier up north is willing to special order.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Which linear lnbs are you using? Toroidal's, Sadoun's or Extreme as I would think Extremes would give you a better chance at 2 degrees.

http://www.dmsiusa.com/xtreme_lnbf.htm

I've tried the following LNBFs successfully with my T90:

The stock LNBFs that Wave Frontier sells
QPH-031 Quad (linear ports only, obviously)
XtremeII
KUL-2

All seem to have nearly identical performance.
The XtremeII would definately be the way to go with shaven LNBF holders to try and get closer with linear sats < 3° spaced.

crawfrdb said:
This has not been my experience with linear polarized satellites T90.

The antenna itself seems to be best aligned such that the LNB bar is "illuminated" somewhat, or matches, the arc of the geosync orbit belt. Then I line up my linear LNBFs. Each one has a unique skew, with the LNBF rotated within the ring-clamp for peak signal when attached to the LNB holder. The skew is sometimes zero but sometimes not, depending on the satellite.

the twisting of the holder and the actual skew of each LNB can be different than published. I had a few LNB's that were better signal when its slid about 1/2 a degree farther out than it should be and twisted more :)

crawfrdb said:
I note weaker signals with the antenna is aimed & the LNBF is placed away from the center of the LNBF bar vs aiming the antenna directly at the satellite and the LNBF is placed at the center of the bar. Have you observed this?

Did you find the tolerances of the alignment to be very small? If I peak my signals across all LNBFs, and just push the antenna about a degree on any axis with a finger, a noticable decrease in signal is observed. I also notice variations of signal in strong winds as the antenna leaves and then returns fully to the aligned position. After a strong storm, it is always necessary to go back and re-align.

Yes, signal is strongest for the center LNB and gets weaker toward the most outboard LNBs.

Alignment tolerances are very small. Azimuth is very forgiving. Elevation has like a 1 or 1.5 degree window, and skew is a compromise (+ or -1 degree) to balance the two outboard LNBs.

The screw which mounts the LNB holder to the rail is suppose to face back (Iceburg) has it correct, but Labgate and I have the screw facing forward. Having the screw forward allows easy adjustment, but it changes the LNB elevation nose down. That has to be compensated for, or the dish gets poor signal strength and is very sensitive.

crawfrdb said:
I've tried the following LNBFs successfully with my T90:

The stock LNBFs that Wave Frontier sells
QPH-031 Quad (linear ports only, obviously)
XtremeII
KUL-2

All seem to have nearly identical performance.
The XtremeII would definately be the way to go with shaven LNBF holders to try and get closer with linear sats < 3° spaced.

I have a Xtreme II at 72 and a Sadoun dual at 74 and it works fine :)

But I also have a couple other smaller LNB's but can't get 2 degrees :(

jerryt said:
The screw which mounts the LNB holder to the rail is suppose to face back (Iceburg) has it correct, but Labgate and I have the screw facing forward. Having the screw forward allows easy adjustment, but it changes the LNB elevation nose down. That has to be compensated for, or the dish gets poor signal strength and is very sensitive.

That's a very good point. I wondered why there were holes on both sides.
I may have a mix (some mount screws on front with some LNBFs and the back on others). I'll correct and see what happens.

Yes I saw after installation that they were not on the right side.

My t55 is installed correctly and I will probably redo my T90 correctly this weekend, if the rain can stop...

Labgate

jerryt said:
Yes, signal is strongest for the center LNB and gets weaker toward the most outboard LNBs.

Alignment tolerances are very small. Azimuth is very forgiving. Elevation has like a 1 or 1.5 degree window, and skew is a compromise (+ or -1 degree) to balance the two outboard LNBs.

Hello again

Just wondering

If I were to squeeze the lnb a little bit so it would be only two inches large (of course then it would not be exactly round but a little ovale.

Do you think it would modify the reception ?b Hope this is clear ?

Labgate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts