Wave Frontier Toroidal T-90 Satellite Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wave Frontier emails

While setting my antenna up, Wave Frontier was generous enough to responsd to some pretty specific questions received in early June.

I live in the SW US and did most of my alignment before the tripple digit heat hit. Once the summer heat was here, I stopped working on the antenna- just too miserable. Now that the heat is gone, I intend to get my alignment completed once and for all.

I'm forwarding one interesting one to the group:

"My engineer recommended the following: take off A13: BKT on the main
reflector. These were designed for the European market. We found couple of
deformity in this particular parts.... In the US, we really don't these
parts unless you have hurricane level wind every month such as Norway....."

I hope a 3KB attachment diagram of A13 is OK, just to clarify.

Attachments

• A13.jpg
    A13.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 506
crawfrdb said:
"My engineer recommended the following: take off A13: BKT on the main
reflector. These were designed for the European market. We found couple of
deformity in this particular parts.... In the US, we really don't these
parts unless you have hurricane level wind every month such as Norway....."

I hope a 3KB attachment diagram of A13 is OK, just to clarify.

Yes "A13" distorts the main reflector, but instead of leaving it off I added washers as spacers on the two aft bolts.

Here are some more LNB's I am modifying;

Attachments

• MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 559
Labgate said:
Hello again

Just wondering

If I were to squeeze the lnb a little bit so it would be only two inches large (of course then it would not be exactly round but a little ovale.

Do you think it would modify the reception ?b Hope this is clear ?

Labgate

This is the tool which I have been using. I would not try squeezing the ends of the LNBs because I think they will crack. Also what would you use for a cover if they did squeeze?

Attachments

• Dayton Belt sander.jpg
    Dayton Belt sander.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 430
Hello

I wanted to use the same cover thinking they would adjust.

Secondly Why do you have plastic bags on your lnb, I know my question seems strange but I wonder if you have to add something on the side if you sand the lnbs.

As far as squeezing the lnb I was thinking about just bending them a little but I am wondering if bending them will affect reception.

I will have to think about that.

Labgate

jerryt said:
This is the tool which I have been using. I would not try squeezing the ends of the LNBs because I think they will crack. Also what would you use for a cover if they did squeeze?

Labgate said:
Why do you have plastic bags on your lnb, ...Labgate

I don't have any plastic bags on my LNBs. Maybe one of the pictures are not clear. Oh the last picture? That is 2 inch wide masking tape being used to close the horn during sanding. Also another layer of tape to protect the horn cover from getting scratched during the rework.

I put sealer around the lip of the horn and then installed the plastic horn covers. Later I filled the sides and around the covers with latex caulk. Painted to match.

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
the twisting of the holder and the actual skew of each LNB can be different than published. I had a few LNB's that were better signal when its slid about 1/2 a degree farther out than it should be and twisted more :)

I never attempted to match the calculcated skew angle of the satellite, using the calculators on satlex.de for example. I just rotate the linear LNBF for peak quality indication.

crawfrdb said:
I never attempted to match the calculcated skew angle of the satellite, using the calculators on satlex.de for example. I just rotate the linear LNBF for peak quality indication.

Can you post pictures of your LNBs showing how they are skewed?

Thanks

Ok great

I was wondering what you were putting each side to replace.

Is it possible to get a picture of a single lnb so I can see how you do that exactly.

Thank you in advance

Labgate.

jerryt said:
I don't have any plastic bags on my LNBs. Maybe one of the pictures are not clear. Oh the last picture? That is 2 inch wide masking tape being used to close the horn during sanding. Also another layer of tape to protect the horn cover from getting scratched during the rework.

I put sealer around the lip of the horn and then installed the plastic horn covers. Later I filled the sides and around the covers with latex caulk. Painted to match.

Labgate said:
Ok great

I was wondering what you were putting each side to replace.

Is it possible to get a picture of a single lnb so I can see how you do that exactly.

Thank you in advance

Labgate.

Picture of two LNBs, Left one unmodified, Right one cut down on a belt sander to a 2 inch width. Modifed cover in the center.

Attachments

• MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 559
Great

Thanks for the picture. Now it is clear. I think I will use the dremel tool I have.

I was checking last night and the other part of the lnb (the square part) is more than 2 inches.

I don't see any problem if we place 2 or 3 together but what will happen if we place 6 or 7.

The ones in the middle will be straight but not the 5 or 6 lnb. Hope this is clear

Labgate

jerryt said:
Picture of two LNBs, Left one unmodified, Right one cut down on a belt sander to a 2 inch width. Modifed cover in the center.

Labgate said:
Great

Thanks for the picture. Now it is clear. I think I will use the dremel tool I have.

I was checking last night and the other part of the lnb (the square part) is more than 2 inches.

I don't see any problem if we place 2 or 3 together but what will happen if we place 6 or 7.

The ones in the middle will be straight but not the 5 or 6 lnb. Hope this is clear

Labgate

Right now with the Wave Frontier LNB holders two satellites 2 degrees apart the LNBs are either not centered on the satellite BEAM or angled into the beam. So we will see what happen if we get 6 or 7 satellites in a row.

Two linears next to each other are wider that 4 inches at the back side, but the Circular LNBs stack in closer to a Linear. Plus the lnbs form an arc on the Toroidal dish rail. The 2 inch spacing is on the inside of that arc. Hoping that everything will fit on the outside of the arc.

Next goal is 91, 93, 95, 97 and 99 in a row. Five satelltes in line with 2 degree spacing!!!! Maybe late Sunday or Monday, with sealant and paint drying.

Last edited:
How about using the 40mm "GEOSATpro SL1 Bullet LNBF" from SatelliteAV? They are less then 2 inches in diameter. They are available in both standard and universal flavors.

Bob

Attachments

• GEOSATPROBULLETR.jpg
    GEOSATPROBULLETR.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 423
Hum

Seems good. I will check it out.

Labgate

wescopc said:
How about using the 40mm "GEOSATpro SL1 Bullet LNBF" from SatelliteAV? They are less then 2 inches in diameter. They are available in both standard and universal flavors.

Bob

wescopc said:

Bob

That is a very impressive LNB 1.57 inches in diameter. I am trying to keep duals though.

Labgate said:

Labgate

Labgate, you were correct 3 lnbs trimed to 2 inches work fine, but four or five and the lnbs are no longer centered with the beam. rail get too crowded to maintain 2 inch spacing.

I have not been able to find more then four satellite in a row that I can tune something on.

May try to cut one lnb down to 1.5 to 1.7 to see if it effects the signal strength.

Or maybe if we cut the other part to 2 inches ?

On my lnbs it seems to be only the part where the bolts are.

Or I will try the small lnb.

Will have to think about that.

Labgate

jerryt said:
Labgate, you were correct 3 lnbs trimed to 2 inches work fine, but four or five and the lnbs are no longer centered with the beam. rail get too crowded to maintain 2 inch spacing.

I have not been able to find more then four satellite in a row that I can tune something on.

May try to cut one lnb down to 1.5 to 1.7 to see if it effects the signal strength.

Cut a Geosat LNB down to 46mm wide (diameter) and made a clear plexiglass lens, solves the clearance problem of multiple LNB with 2 degree spacing.

Remains to be seen what effect this modification of the Geosat has on satellite receiption.

Attachments

• MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 517
  • MVC-019F.JPG
    MVC-019F.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
jerryt said:
Can you post pictures of your LNBs showing how they are skewed?

Thanks

Sure. What's a good res for the photos? don't want to post 5MPix photos here :)

just use the attachment button when attaching them. They will make them thumbnails and if someone wants to blow them up, they can :)

That is a very impressive LNB 1.57 inches in diameter. I am trying to keep duals though.

What's the disadvantage single LNBs on a T90? Most of the installation diagrams I've seen have 4 Diseqcs closest to the LNBs and the 4x4 22K switch closer to the IRDs. If you only have singles that would cut the number of Diseqcs and in turn you would...... have less potential for multiple receivers?

I have a small house, so I doubt I'd have more than 2 receivers connected to a T90, but I am interested in the concept of getting satellites that are 2 degrees apart without having to resort to using a belt sander.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts