We just received our 1st r15 dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.
cfarm said:
The 30 second skip is on it's way out. It would be a surprise if it was included. Too many advertisers objecting.
It's a standard feature on every E* DVR (no code required) and they actively market it as a feature. I think they even refer to it as "commercial skip". So what's the difference? Why does E* get away with it and DirecTV, TiVo, Comcast, etc. only supply it a a "secret" hidden code that may be done away with in a future software upgrade. I don't get it.

KingsFan said:
It's a standard feature on every E* DVR (no code required) and they actively market it as a feature. I think they even refer to it as "commercial skip". So what's the difference? Why does E* get away with it and DirecTV, TiVo, Comcast, etc. only supply it a a "secret" hidden code that may be done away with in a future software upgrade. I don't get it.

Brian Roberts of Comcast was asked directly about the 30 second skip and declined comment. It's a sore spot with advertisers and when they are paying the bills(more so than you or I), you can bet they get listened to.

Not talking about who has it today. More about what to expect going forward.

KingsFan said:

Because even the advertisers feel sorry for E* DVR users. :haha

billbillw said:
Made by Humax

Here are some photos, thanks to the FCC

Linky

thanks for the pictures, looks nice, but still kinda plain jane....which is cool......definetly like the fact they kept with the clover type plug.....like with the d10's and h10s

So is there a date on when we can get one of these.
I have been planning on a Tivo but think i may hold out for the R 15.

So I'm not sure if this is covered somewhere in this forum but will a phone line be REQUIRED w/ the R15 as it now is for the R10. The only reason I have
a land line is for my D*Tivo.

suggestions called what on r15 ?

so they have a generic of wish lists and season passes

so what about suggestions ? rating shows, if the r15 dont have a variation on that then its crap

Can anyone verify what OS the new R15 DVR uses?

I hope that it uses Linux versus having to license a variant of WinCE from Microsoft. Linux is much more of a stable OS and updating it would be easier.

In the current UTV units, if the underlying OS has bugs, DTV would have to turn to Microsoft to release an updated version. While it seems that Linux releases updates frequently.

To be honest with you it has one feature which is an absolute deal breaker for me.

The fact that you can not watch something that has already been recorded while its recording 2 programs is horrible. I'm hoping that is not a harware limitation and is fixed in the future. It sounds promising but come on how difficult is it to do that. The D* Tivo has done that ever since they enabled the second tuner in it.

I would also like to point out something I noticed at the FCC website. It looks like the R15 will actually have a 160GB hard drive.

Look at the internal photos and the block diagram at this link

This goes in line with the article a few months back where Rupert was talking about free DVRs for everyone. He hinted at having larger hard drives than advertised so that they would have room to automatically download things like the Premier of "Over There". It was downloaded to D* Tivo users before it premiered on the FX network.

why my post erased and r15 comment

why it moved when sayin "crap". and asking if r15 will have a suggestions like feature ?

are certain mods bein told by directv what to erase ? 3why else a legit question earsed then ?

pentium101 said:
Can anyone verify what OS the new R15 DVR uses?

I hope that it uses Linux versus having to license a variant of WinCE from Microsoft. Linux is much more of a stable OS and updating it would be easier.

In the current UTV units, if the underlying OS has bugs, DTV would have to turn to Microsoft to release an updated version. While it seems that Linux releases updates frequently.

It's an embedded, proprietary OS.

Neither WinCE nor Linux.

So let's hear it!

OK, so it's Monday. Everyone should be back to work now, including you guys who supposedly have some R15s to play with. So let's hear what ya got! I think a definitive answer on the "watch something while you record two things" would be the first order of business. While recording two things, can we watch one of them? Both of them? Something previously recorded?

Ricky

iamme4everup said:
why it moved when sayin "crap". and asking if r15 will have a suggestions like feature ?

are certain mods bein told by directv what to erase ? 3why else a legit question earsed then ?

I assure you that it would not have been deleted for that reason. The only way a post is deleted is if it violates our rules. People are more than welcome to post their opinions about the topic at hand with no threat of deletion provided there's no violation of our rules.

I don't see where your post was deleted.

DesignDawg said:
OK, so it's Monday. Everyone should be back to work now, including you guys who supposedly have some R15s to play with.

For what it's worth, DD, DirecTV Call Center CSRs really aren't granted any free time to run around and simply try these things out. They generally can only experiment with hardware in training classes, or if a specific customer question comes in. I doubt they'll get any additional information before we, the public, receive the hardware ourselves.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts