Welcome to our 2007 CES Coverage!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SatelliteGuys.US is proud to once again bring you all the Satellite News from the 2007 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas!

SatelliteGuys will be reporting on all the new satellite equipment and services from CES directly from the show floor!

Tomorrow our coverage will start at about 2pm Eastern Time with coverage of the Dish Network Press Conference, which will immediately be followed by the Press Event.

For the breaking news we suggest that you have the "Talking Head" feature enabled, as I will update that first with any major breaking news. (The Wifi access in here is not as strong as it was last year)

SatelliteGuys would like to remind all members that we are here to show you whats news, and not necessarily grill companies about why product "x" is not working, while we probably will ask those questions (as we have in the past) its hard to write what a persons rolling eyes mean when they refuse to answer the question. :)

Thanks and enjoy the 2007 CES show!

Last edited:
Well I must admit, I am a little disapointed with this CES.

However I guess the main reason for my disapointment is because there were no surprises in the world of Satellite TV. This tells me I am doing a good job, but perhaps maybe TOO good.

The Dish Network booth is different and empty this year. No wall of hardware being displayed. Just a wall of monitors showing VOOM and other hd shows plus a few tvs demoing DishHOME, DishONLINE, Interactive TV and external storage.

Don't even get me started on DirecTV. I wanted to throw something at the guy who said DirecTVs HD was superor then anyone else and he said they resolution was higher then what consumer tvs can display.

Sorry to that I say Bullsh!t.

More from me and CES later. One thing that sucks about CES is when it starts the internet quality goes from good to harly working when ces starts

Don't even get me started on DirecTV. I wanted to throw something at the guy who said DirecTVs HD was superor then anyone else and he said they resolution was higher then what consumer tvs can display.

More from me and CES later. One thing that sucks about CES is when it starts the internet quality goes from good to harly working when ces starts
I would have had to call Bullsh!t in front of everybody!!

...I wanted to throw something at the guy who said DirecTVs HD was superor then anyone else and he said they resolution was higher then what consumer tvs can display.
Maybe he's thinking about my Dad's 30-year old Quasar? :D

Obviously, this "expert" hasn't been walking around CES to see the 1080p RP and flat panel sets. Plus, Mark Schubin said Sharp has announced a 64", 4096 x 2160 LCD display, so resolutions are only going to go higher, not lower.

Last edited:
I got a 30 year old Quasar. The color went out in it and I cannot bring a picture up on it now. I am surprised we did not throw it out yet.

...or the old 25" Curtis-Mathes console.:D

God, we had one when I was a kid. It was the model with the full stereo/turn table hi-fi in it; about 6' wide and 2' deep. When the TV went out my dad remove the TV guts and we cut the bottom molding and turned it into a stereo/turn table hi-fi DESK; LOL!

Wish I could be there, but maybe Scott you will see something in a day or two to report that we don't know yet.

Directv Stinks

Scott you should have thrown one of those new pos 5 lnb odu's at him. the old style not the slimline.:D

Personally, I didn't expect much at this CES in ther way of innovation. However, what we are seeing is an expanse of 1080P from everyone. Last year it was new and novel, this year it is about who offers the best value in 1080p

HDDVD v BR war is the other big deal here and it is still about who is going to win. My bets now are on the one who makes the one machine that plays eithert in a transparent way to the viewer. LG introed this now but it is too pricey at $1200 MSRP so as soon as others begin to sell dual format machines the price will drop like a rock. The issue is not content, it is about hardware and this is a welcome change of order in HDTV. I think as soon as this dual machine hits a price point below $500 the HD DVD and Blue Ray stuff will explode. SD DVD will be like B&W TV's today. available but in niche sets, like portable DVD palyers. Everything else will be the dual HD players. Give it another year.

Microsoft Vista is really hot but we haven't heard the suspected complaints from average user yet. Wait until New Vista owners begin to suffer the "tilt" kill caused by the OS's system monitors that are intended to detect unlicensed and or pirated content. It will be Blue screen of death all over again. John Divorak is claiming this will be the death of Microsoft. He claims the hardware is too unstable to support the Vista security monitors. OK, I like what I see in Vista but I'll wait for the MS team to figure out how to deal with this before making the switch. How soon will it be before they shut off the big brother system monitors?

Wasn't there supposed to be a "big" HD-DVD announcement, followed a day later by Blu-ray's "big" announcement? Did this happen/flop or is it yet to be? Or am I mistaken?

God, we had one when I was a kid. It was the model with the full stereo/turn table hi-fi in it; about 6' wide and 2' deep. When the TV went out my dad remove the TV guts and we cut the bottom molding and turned it into a stereo/turn table hi-fi DESK; LOL!

That's hillarious. :haha We had one too and when the TV quit in it, MY dad just took out the guts and went and bought a TV with a chassis that would fit in the hole and we conitnued to use it for another 10 years or so.

However I guess the main reason for my disapointment is because there were no surprises in the world of Satellite TV. This tells me I am doing a good job, but perhaps maybe TOO good.

The Dish Network booth is different and empty this year. No wall of hardware being displayed. Just a wall of monitors showing VOOM and other hd shows plus a few tvs demoing DishHOME, DishONLINE, Interactive TV and external storage.

You're a victim of your own success. You might have been excited about DishOnline and a few other things, but you already sniffed them out before the show. The rest of the unwashed masses is being surprised with free HD DVRs, TV over IP coming, 500GB hard drives, and external storage via USB. DirecTV is promising 70 channels of HD, um HD Lite, um REALLY HD Lite. Unless this new satellite is performing some compression miracle we are unaware of...

Microsoft Vista is really hot but we haven't heard the suspected complaints from average user yet. Wait until New Vista owners begin to suffer the "tilt" kill caused by the OS's system monitors that are intended to detect unlicensed and or pirated content. It will be Blue screen of death all over again. John Divorak is claiming this will be the death of Microsoft. He claims the hardware is too unstable to support the Vista security monitors. OK, I like what I see in Vista but I'll wait for the MS team to figure out how to deal with this before making the switch. How soon will it be before they shut off the big brother system monitors?

I've been running Vista 64 Bit ultimate for the past 3 months on a home built 64 bit AMD machine. Its no more or no less stable then a commercial XP machine. I really dont find much different. As for a more stable improvement, I wouldnt go that far either. Despite some apps not working yet, its been pretty good. I am even using Media Center features on Xbox 360's and working great.

I've had a few reboots but no real Blue Screens. And I am an avid experimenter throwing all sorts of stuff at it. So far, B+. Just wish more companies would get their apps working like Rhapsody. Also, video watching through Media Center does not work on PC. Works on Xbox 360's but not directly off the PC. Go figure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts