WELCOME to our Motorola DSR-550 (VOOM Box) Support Forum!

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
WELCOME to our Motorola DSR-550 (VOOM Box) Support Forum!

VOOM no longer exists as an independent Digital Satellite Broadcaster. Motorola DSR-550 ("VOOM boxes") can no longer be used as Digital Satellite Receivers, however they still work as OTA receivers.

Have a question about VOOM Box? Need help? Please post in this forum. SatelliteGuys staff and other forum members will gladly offer their assistance. Newbie questions are certainly welcome!

Want to know more about VOOM receiver? Check out our VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550).

Please note, that discussions about reverse-engineering or "hacking" are not allowed at SatelliteGuys, regardless of the purpose. ;)

This is the first time I have asked a quesiton, so not sure how this works. I live in Ft. Laud. and have 3 voom receivers with the latest software. Since the satelite went dead, I have been able to pick up local HD channels on all boxes. Several months ago, I stopped getting ABC, and FOX out of Miami (only shows no signal) Both came in for a day a couple of weeks ago. I now only get CBS and NBC. Any suggestions how to get all of them back? Thanks. Mac1

Welcome to the forum, mac1!
Several posibilities here:
1. In case the stations have changed the RF frequency (unlikely but possible) you can do a channel scan.
2. It is possible that the signal is not very strong. Check the signal level for the corresponding RF numbers. Try repointing your antenna to improve the signal.
3. Have you made any changes to your wiring lately? Perhaps the built-in amplifier in the antenna is not getting power?

voom OTA

Everything remains unchanged, when I bypass the voom receivers, I get all stations in, very snowy, so I know they are there. Stations only 20 miles away, shouldn't be a problem. I will keep looking for answers. Thanks for the reply.

research on voom boxes software

I look at several sites for voom info, since I have 2 for OTA use. I notice that one, ULTATRYON, no longer is accessible as of last week. Funds were donated, chips identified, test unit found, etc. It was a one-mon operation, mostly. Any body know what happened?

mac1 said:
Everything remains unchanged, when I bypass the voom receivers, I get all stations in, very snowy, so I know they are there. Stations only 20 miles away, shouldn't be a problem. I will keep looking for answers. Thanks for the reply.
Don't understand what you are saying here. Since digital stations require a STB or built-in tuner on the tv, how do you get any reception at all when by-passing the V* box?

mac1 said:
when I bypass the voom receivers, I get all stations in, very snowy, so I know they are there.
Snowy??? :confused:
You must be talking about analog channels! Digital channels are never snowy: they either work or they don't.
VOOM box cannot receive analog channels: digital only. So you can't possibly receive the same channels: only their digital counterparts if they are available.

Now, the fact that you are getting snowy picture on analog channels can give us some clues to what's going on: either your antenna is not properly positioned or one of the connections got loose. Check your connections and try to repoint your antenna. It could also be bad pre-amp or bad power supply if you have one.

Good luck!

OK, I've got PIN locked box. In the forums I've seen where I can swap cards with an unlocked box. The problem with this is that in both cases, it was "I hear that you can ..." and they differed in the exact procedure:
1. Put the locked card in the open receiver and the receiver unlocks the card?
2. Put the open card in the locked receiver and the card unlocks the receiver?
Has anyone actually done this and know exactly how? I don't want to borrow an open receiver/card and end up locking it for them.

The alternative is to keep trying codes. I've started working on this. One contributor said he had a workaround for the 1 minute lock up after 3 tries.
Unfortunately he didn't include the workaround in the post and the PM link was dead. Does anyone know how to avoid / shorten the lockup period?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, pcjock!

I really doubt card swapping will help with unlocking the pin, though I have not tried that.
Trying all 10000 codes may help eventually, but will require a lot of time even if you figure the way around the 1 minute lockup.
It might be cheaper to buy a new receiver (depending on how you value your own time).

Good luck!

Anyone from Portland, OR still have a VOOM box?

I get the Portland channels and for about the last month, KOIN 6.1 reboots my machine everytime I tune it in. I have 2 boxes and it affects them both. I tried doing a rescan of local channels and it reboot when it hit the KOIN frequency. I tried emailing Lee Wood (engineer), but have had no reply as of yet. He normally responds quickly, so I don't even know if he still works there.

Anyone?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)