Well, here we go! It's moving day!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
A few months behind schedule but it's time! Tuesday is the day.

First priority was getting my subscription dishes set up because I'm paying for that TV so I want it up and going ASAP. And I watch a LOT of the BBC..

I do have the luxury of moving piecemeal so I don't have to be in a huge rush to get everything over there at once. My FTA dishes ARE GOING but it will be a few weeks. There is a KU dish on an HH motor there now which will get me Retro and a few others I like, that will hold me over until I get the other dishes moved.
I also have to get the fence finished on the side where the FTA dishes go, when they were drilling holes in the ground for the fence they hit a gas line and made a HUGE leak that scared the whole neighborhood. That shut down everything for the day and my fence line had to get shifted over which I wasn't happy about.

At least we now know where everything is buried so I won't have to worry when I plant the poles for my FTA dishes. The smaller dishes are going three foot down, the 10' C-band and the 1.8m Prodelin are going SIX FEET IN, I want 5 feet above ground so I need two 11' x 4.5" poles.

Over the years I've suffered a lot of grief from my FTA adventures. Mostly because of poles not put in plumb and or put in not deep enough. For my subscription dishes I got three schedule 40, 3" by 8' galvanized poles. My dad drilled holes 18" from the bottom and put some painted rebarb through so they can not spin in the cement. I had the handyman drill three, three foot deep holes when he was drilling holes for my fence. I had to use a hand digger to make them bigger around so I could get LOTS of cement in.

I mixed up cement till it was like crunchy peanut butter, nice and thick and well mixed so there was no dry stuff in it. I dropped the poles in and I clamped TWO digital inclinometers to the pole at 45 degrees from each other PLUS I stuck some of those needle type inclinometers and a bubble level to the poles and I set them to be PERFECTLY PLUMB. Absolutely dead on, 90 degrees plumb. Each one. Once I got them plumb I just backed off and rested awhile to let the cement set up a little, after about half an hour I checked them again and they were still dead on perfect so I very carefully removed all the levels and meters without disturbing the poles.

Today I went and ran RG-11 end to end and tacked it up properly along the eves of the garage (Yes, it's ugly, it's getting new siding soon). With my very excellent meter I expect that I'll get excellent performance from my dishes and that they will be indestructible and trouble free.

This is exactly the same way I am going to do my FTA dishes. I am taking my time and remembering all my past mistakes and griefs and doing it RIGHT this time. Also I this time I get the luxury of planning out where they go. The mish mash of randomly placed dishes here at my old house are not entirely my doing, my ex started that mess. I just went with it because I didn't know any better. Now I do.

It's really nice when you get a clean slate to work with and you can do it the way you want. And even better after you've learned the hard way what not to do.

My A3 is still on the blink, I haven't had time to try and fix it yet, Brian at Titanium sent me directions on how to fix it but I've been so busy prepping for moving that I just haven't had time. I hope next week I can give it a try because I would like to get back to recording my favorite shows.. :)

There's also my OTA antenna system that I'm going to do as well, I have a matched pair of 91XG's and the fiberglass tubes for mounting them. I just need to get a tower to get them up to 30 feet. I have a pair of thrust bearings for the motor so that should really help as well. And of course EVERYTHING from now on is RG-11. I bought a 1,000 spool of the stuff. There's enough to do everything I will ever think of plus I need to install an FTA system for my dad at his new home. He really, really likes his PBS. He totally digs the Oklahoma feeds.

As the FTA stuff gets moved and installed at my new(ish) home I'll post that stuff. As always, expect massive overkill. Because I can. :D

Attachments

• IMG_3654.jpg
    IMG_3654.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_3674.jpg
    IMG_3674.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_3684.jpg
    IMG_3684.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_3742.jpg
    IMG_3742.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 359
Reactions: Bongu
Well, here we go! I thought I would never see this day!

Truck is on the way this afternoon to take them to their new home. Gonna get the big ones another day as I don't have poles planted for them just yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3814.jpg
    IMG_3814.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_3810.jpg
    IMG_3810.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 380
Dee Ann, I used to have fine German Shepherd when I was a kid in early 70's named Chica in Panama Canal Zone at that time....:)

Nice find dogs that you gor here. Good luck on moving with all the dish!

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Dee Ann, I used to have fine German Shepherd when I was a kid in early 70's named Chica in Panama Canal Zone at that time....:)

Nice find dogs that you gor here. Good luck on moving with all the dish!

Thank you.. My spoiled rotten babies and mama's protectors. Also my dish installation assistants. :D

IMG_3913.jpg IMG_3908.jpg

German Shepherds are such wonderful dogs! I have two and a brown dog who I suspect is a baked potato disguised as a brown dog.
She's not very smart but she's every sweet and loving.

Anyway, the dish moving is plodding along at a glacial rate. It's been raining and cold so everything is pretty much at a stop and I'm about two week behind where I would like to be.
Just today I finally got my subscription dishes connected which was priority one since of course it's costing me money. I should have had them finished a week ago.

My next task is to take down my BUDS from the old house, move them over here and get them going.
I have to find new poles for them then dig a giant hole and so on... So I figure I'm still a month from getting them up and going.
I have one little 1m KU HH dish already here that my dad left behind but it's out of alignment, naturally. I'm really tired so I'm going to take a few days rest then see about it, I really would like to get RetroTV back.
I still have to take time to stop and try to fix my A3 which is totally on the blink. They emailed me directions to fix it but I've been too busy moving to mess with anything.
I just got my computer hooked up today, I've been using my iCrash 1.0 for the last week and it's been making me crazy.

My FTA stuff will carry on as always, I've got way too much time and money into it to quit now.
The good thing about it is that this time I have learned all the do's and do not's and I get to start completely over.
Being able to very carefully, logically lay out where all the dishes go is really nice vs the random stupidity I started with.

I also like that I'm going with RG-11 for ~everything, everywhere~ throughout, especially my OTA antenna which also is a completely different project but it's gonna be massive overkill of course.
It's taken me several years to learn this stuff and I'm very grateful to all you guys for all your help, it would cost me a fortune to pay someone to do this stuff for me.
Plus the satisfaction I get from doing it myself is pretty awesome. I usually break things and otherwise mess them up but this seems to be going pretty well for me.
At least my pay satellite dishes are working really well and they look great too! Now they are in place I plan to plant bamboo to hide them from view.

My subscription dishes are on the side of the garage and the FTA dishes will be on the side of the house, keeping them separated. The smaller yard prevents me from putting them all together in one spot so I have to split them off into two locations.

Moving is no fun.

Probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway, RG6 compression connectors won't work on RG11 will they? I was thinking about doing some re-wiring on my Dish Network system ( I use 2 30" Winegards to get 61 and 72) I have a couple of DPP44's and Hopper nodes for the signal to all pass through so I want to keep as much signal as possible to feed the Hoppers and avoid any rain fade. Will the same compression tool I have work for RG11?
Thanks for the help

Probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway, RG6 compression connectors won't work on RG11 will they? I was thinking about doing some re-wiring on my Dish Network system ( I use 2 30" Winegards to get 61 and 72) I have a couple of DPP44's and Hopper nodes for the signal to all pass through so I want to keep as much signal as possible to feed the Hoppers and avoid any rain fade. Will the same compression tool I have work for RG11?
Thanks for the help
The cables are two different sizes (More info here) RG11 (top) vs RG6 (bottom):
rg11_rg6_009.jpg

You can use the same compression tool, if it is made to handle multiple sizes. Here is an example: Amazon product ASIN B007NE8AIA :)

Reactions: Dee_Ann and jorgek
Oh goodness no, they are very different. I had to buy a whole new set of tools as well as new connectors.
But whatever you do, don't buy a compression tool like this one.

41V7S2M-AbL.jpg

It's rubbish! It will not compress where the gap is so you get this distorted fitting that looks like a little kids bottom lip when you tell them "No more candy!"

You should find one that contacts the fitting a full 360°.. I can use this one but I have to squeeze it a tiny bit then turn the cable a tiny bit and squeeze a tiny bit again, over and over so it presses it in squarely all the way around.
I'm quite unhappy with this tool.

If you're going to go to RG-11 spend the money to buy top quality tools. Since that is all I will be using from now on I am going to shop about and buy good stuff. I bought cheap because, it was cheap. Ouch..
I should have known better. As for the wire, it's bloody heavy !! (The spool weighed 100lbs so I had to build a dispenser for it that I can strap to a hand cart.)
I bought a 1,000 foot roll for $60, DELIVERED! That should last me the rest of my life and then some.

I do need to buy some more connectors and I think I could have bought some rated for a higher bandwidth but they seem to be working fine on my Dish Network stuff for now.
Of course I could always cut them off and put better ones on.

But yeah, you'll end up having to buy all new tools. RG-6 tools ~will not work~...

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 2.51.45 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 2.51.58 PM.jpg

Thanks for the help

I've done something similar. If you look at my pics above, I use two 1m and one 1.2m dishes for 110/119/129 with all RG-11. I have zero rain fade. It's not an issue. I watch TV in the worst of weather. So far I've only had rain fade happen two times and it was coming down so hard that you couldn't see to drive a car. I only lost signal for about 5 minutes each time as it moved through.
If I could put up three 1.8m dishes for Dish Network, you better believe that I would. Matter of fact, I probably will if I can ever lay hands on three 1.8 Prodelins. (I have one now but it's going to be a mini-bud.)

That is my FTA, HH motorized dish which I need to plant on the side of the house in the FTA farm. It's just leaned up against the garage for now. I figure it will be a few weeks before I get my FTA dishes moved and put up here.
Getting my C-band dishes over here are going to be a nightmare. I have to take the 10' dish completely apart. There is no way I'm going to try to move it whole. It's only about 6 miles but the roads are packed with idiots.

I've done something similar. If you look at my pics above, I use two 1m and one 1.2m dishes for 110/119/129 with all RG-11. I have zero rain fade. It's not an issue. I watch TV in the worst of weather. So far I've only had rain fade happen two times and it was coming down so hard that you couldn't see to drive a car. I only lost signal for about 5 minutes each time as it moved through.
If I could put up three 1.8m dishes for Dish Network, you better believe that I would. Matter of fact, I probably will if I can ever lay hands on three 1.8 Prodelins. (I have one now but it's going to be a mini-bud.)
I have a 1m and a 1.2m that I would have liked to use for 61 and 72, however, since I have a 4 Hopper 2 Joey setup, I have to use DP LNBFs. I couldn't find any DP LNBFs that had a throat narrow enough to mount on those dishes. All I found were from Echostar and had a "D-tube" mount, that's why I use the 30" Winegards made for Dish.

I take it you have dish pointed at a sat that has RTV so you can receive Dr. Who? Good luck with your move and we look forward to more pictures or the new dish farm.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
I take it you have dish pointed at a sat that has RTV so you can receive Dr. Who? Good luck with your move and we look forward to more pictures or the new dish farm.

I do. My dad left behind his FTA system for now, we will eventually move it to his new home but it's very low priority to him at the moment.
For now I'm using it as I haven't gotten MY FTA stuff moved & setup here yet.

Take off the plastic housing and you will probably find a feedhorn throat that is approximately 23mm. :)

This is an old Directv LNBF. I took the cover off and found the smaller neck inside. I cut the plastic so the cover shields the main part with the electronics from the sun.
I found that Dish types are pretty much the same thing, a big, fat plastic shell with a little skinny metal tube inside.
I'm hoping that the Dish Pro singles I need to buy will be the same. All I have seen the inside of is really ancient stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_3776.jpg
    IMG_3776.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 253
Got me three DP LNBF's in the mail today.
I popped the covers off with a screw driver and find that the necks are 23mm in diameter.
I'll have no problem adapting them into my existing Primestar/Andrew/Prodelin dishes..
They will replace old Dish legacy 300 and Directv LNBFs so I can connect them to my DP34 which will feed two ViP211k receivers.

Believe me, I fly blind and it's more error than trial for me but eventually I get it figured out and working.
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it.

Attachments

• IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_4174.jpg
    IMG_4174.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_4170.jpg
    IMG_4170.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 261
I just had an idea, I can get my dad to use his machines to make a neck adapter. Take a block of white nylon and shave it down to be 40mm in diameter then drill a 23mm hole through it. Make it like 50mm long to fit the length of the neck.
Then saw it in half. Put the two halves around the LNBF neck and clamp it into my BIG dishes. I think that should be pretty simple to make. But then I have no idea on earth how to run those machines.
But my dad is a whiz with stuff like that so I'm sure he could do it. We could try it first on a block of wood to see how well it works. I guess the trick is finding a solid chunk of nylon that's 50mm long by 40mm diameter.

Even better would be to make on with a 3D printer but I don't have access to one and wouldn't know how to use it if I did.

There may even be a (small) market for these adapters.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts