Status
Please reply by conversation.

oldsmobile

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 14, 2013
Central PA
I'm trying to put up a fixed dish for 30 west, and am putting this into service. Having a really hard time getting anything at all on it. From where I am, 30w is to be at elevation 23.5, but I can't make this dish dive that low on the scale. I've tried re angling the j pole to accommodate but I am getting nowhere. Any tips are appreciated.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Attachments

• 1410805069952.jpg
    1410805069952.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 1410805085649.jpg
    1410805085649.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 1410805106087.jpg
    1410805106087.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 1410805122398.jpg
    1410805122398.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 195
Your dish already looks like it's pointing way below what it should be. You don't need to point it down any farther than that. I live in Ohio where Hispasat 30W is at around 20 degrees, and with this offset dish, it looks perfectly vertical. You're in an area where the dish should be pointed 3.5 degrees higher than that.

Don't pay any attention to the reading on the dish. I never do that. Just remember that your dish should be just a hair above vertical. Are you using a signal finder? I use the Easyfind LNB which lights up green when I've locked onto a signal. Here's my dish pointed at 30W. By the way, you could probably remove that nut and bolt you have at the very top in your first picture, loosen the nuts on the right (in your first picture), and push the dish well below vertical, then retighten the right side nuts and bolts. But I don't think that would be really necessary for you anyways. It just sounds like your having problems positioning the dish. Are there any obstructions?

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 174
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
Thanks. Yeah, I know it's low. :) I'm moving it slowly and sweeping, and those pics were taken when it was at its lowest and I knew I wasn't getting any signal there.

I had a little more confidence in the compass app on my phone than perhaps I should. Went to dishpointer and looked at the Google Earth map, and I'm going to go at it again. Instead of trying to determine where 132.4 is, I'm just going to aim above Charlie's house across the street.

My experience was only a motorized dish so far, so this should be easier. Stay tuned... :D

If that is a Winegard DS-2076 the offset angle is about 24 degrees...so your reflector should be almost exactly vertical as Andrew K said, if you are aiming 23.5 degrees above the horizon.

You can check this by putting a straightedge vertically on the centerline of the dish, and measuring it with a level or digital/analog angle indicator, that will get you pretty close.

I took my microhd receiver outside and hooked it up to a 13" tube tv, and I'm using that as a signal finder. Since I'm not on a ladder, this isn't that uncomfortable.

Good luck, you'll find it. It just takes patience. Can you even use a TV as a signal finder? Isn't there a slight delay in how long it takes for the picture to appear?

Skew (of the LNBF) ????
In the pic, the elevation scale, appears to be at 20 degrees. So up a bit, May find it between where it is and maybe all the way up to near 25 degrees. (taking into account the accuracy of the scale)
Which TP are you watching for?? 11884 V 27500 is a good one.

Oh yeah, you're right FaT Air. The skew of the LNB is important. I know if the dish is on a vertical pole with no motor, I need to skew the LNB 42 degrees from center.

Skew (of the LNBF) ????
In the pic, the elevation scale, appears to be at 20 degrees. So up a bit, May find it between where it is and maybe all the way up to near 25 degrees. (taking into account the accuracy of the scale)
Which TP are you watching for?? 11884 V 27500 is a good one.

Skew at 40, check. Forgot that for the first few sweeps but it is there now. Thanks for tip on that TP, I'm set at that now and watching & listening for signal bars to react. Nothing yet but I practice patience.

Good luck, you'll find it. It just takes patience. Can you even use a TV as a signal finder? Isn't there a slight delay in how long it takes for the picture to appear?
Well, I've done it before. But it didn't take so much to find it.
Dug out this little sat finder and hooked it up. It definitely varied and I'm pointing where it gives best feedback. Yet the micro hd has zero SQ and 45% SL. Suggests good lnb but no lock on bird, right?

I have a direct connection from lnb through finder to stb. Changed the stb setting for 30 to no diseqc, no motor, just in case that would make a difference. It doesn't .

Attachments

• 1410811037620.jpg
    1410811037620.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 151
Did you check to make sure the LNB settings are correct on the receiver? I know sometimes that's what has caused me to not get a signal... 'cause I switched the LNB, but didn't change the receiver settings. I have a universal LNB, so that's what my microHD must be set at, or else I get nothing.

Yes. Lo 10750...pansat pf 7600. No change

Latest pictures.

Attachments

• 1410812830201.jpg
    1410812830201.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 1410812851988.jpg
    1410812851988.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 160
  • 1410812869131.jpg
    1410812869131.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 171
Is the LNBF verified working on another satellite? Don't have a perspective on the shrubs and tree. The eve is very close to blocking some signal and the shrub on the right side of the out-looking shot might be taking a chunk o'signal. What is the elevation angle to the trees across the street? Looks to be 15+ degrees.

Its a pain to get 30w thats why I put marks on the ground so I can setup everything in a hurry. 30w is like catching the big fish once you catch it then you say what next.

Is the LNBF verified working on another satellite? Don't have a perspective on the shrubs and tree. The eve is very close to blocking some signal and the shrub on the right side of the out-looking shot might be taking a chunk o'signal. What is the elevation angle to the trees across the street? Looks to be 15+ degrees.

Ah. No, I have not tested that LNBF. That was represented as working with the dish when I bought it a few months ago. Hmmm.

I can trim more of that shrub. The trees across the street weren't a problem before. I'd once had my motorized 75e picking up 30 nicely, but I don't have it tuned absolutely perfectly at the moment. The motorized dish is on the roof, maybe four feet above the fixed dish.

Reactions: Titanium
If you want I have a few extra lnbf on hand right now you can try out. Let me know and we can get together.

Status
Please reply by conversation.