What brought you to get DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
For me, it was about less frequent channel disputes (like a possible dispute with Disney at the time, though it never happened), and at the time they had 3D channels and I planned on a 3DTV soon (and got one) and mostly just wanted to try something new. I had Dish Network prior, and I think they are both equally good services. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Heck even cable has its pluses. Anyways, that's my two cents.

I'm a FTA bug and always have been with different KU and C band dishes. Nothing beats an uncompressed uplink signal from the satellite. And it's entertaining to hear on the sports broadcasters what they talk about during commercials. That being said most of the good stuff is encrypted these days. I had DirecTv and let it go almost two years ago. I miss watching my baseball games and just listening to them on the radio. I also live in a bit of a bowl so the OTA can't pick up anything local. The local affiliate broadcasts my football games but I can't get them. I just got the service again this week and did a SWM self-install. Lots of crap on TV today but having the DVR will allow me to record some of the stuff that is still worth watching. The first year of the contract isn't too bad with the discounts as well as the referral but next year I'll probably chafe a bit as I really don't watch a lot of live TV. LOL

For me it was in 2006, I had TWC, and it was awful, I just couldn't stand the prices going up, and being taxed on everything, now I get taxed for about $3 bucks now. Also the ability to have the NFL Ticket was a huge plus, as I was sick of doing the bars every weekend to see my 49ers(I am in NY so we are never on local unless against NYG, NYJ, NE or another East Coast team close to NY). So it made sense.

For me it was a two tuner DVR, had the original Tivo and upgraded to 4 two tuner Directv Tivo's. Also to get home town local channels "moved". What is keeping me is having the Chicago locals with the addition of the New York and LA big 4.

I did C-Band back in the day because the Local Cable was poor.
Had a ton of fun with all the stuff you could get off it, enjoyed watching games without commercials ... TV Shows about 4 days before they were to view on regular TV.
Watched OJ on the C-Band.
I got the Sunday Ticket when it was Original, on C Band ... for $79 the first year.

Then I went with D* when a lot of the shows I was able to get off C - Band started to go away or changed how they were being sent to you.

Needing the ST kept Dish out of the game for me.

When I moved again, that did away with any more C Band as I wasn't gonna bring it with me.

The overwhelming improvement in quality programming and sports coverage than the crap canadian providers I had to choose from.. The current exchange rate is a pain in the butt though !

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

What brought me in 2006 was the HD sports (specifically Fox Sports Detroit which at the time was spot beamed on DirecTV, and not available at all on Dish).

What kept me after the "HD Race" around 2007-2008 was the way DirecTV dedicates bandwidth to sports, having the RSNs 24/7 and never "hoping today's games is in HD" like Dish did for several years (and maybe still does with some feeds).

What keeps me - the same reasons, anytime I want to watch almost any game - it's there in HD, exactly where I expect it to be. That and the Genie platform with being able to record 5 things at at time - plus the several HR24s in the house - I have too much invested into the hardware to make switching to save a little feasible.

The receiver fees was one of the deciding factors for me, and the fact you can have more than 6 receivers on your account without being harassed by the dish police.

I wanted all 722's on my account and the $17 fee for an owned receiver was crazy

I did C-Band back in the day because the Local Cable was poor.
Had a ton of fun with all the stuff you could get off it, enjoyed watching games without commercials ... TV Shows about 4 days before they were to view on regular TV.
Watched OJ on the C-Band.
I got the Sunday Ticket when it was Original, on C Band ... for $79 the first year.

Then I went with D* when a lot of the shows I was able to get off C - Band started to go away or changed how they were being sent to you.

Needing the ST kept Dish out of the game for me.

When I moved again, that did away with any more C Band as I wasn't gonna bring it with me.

I had ST with C-Band as well but after the first year that they put it on 2 different satellites I switched to Directv for the convenience of not having to move the Dish all of the time.

For me it was a brand new home and subdivision with very bad cable reception. This was 1995 and I had some really nice stereo and video equipment and wasn't going to downgrade to cable signal that was really bad. I went to Circuit City (remember them) and bought me a direct dish and receiver for $500. and never have looked back. Best damn decision I ever made!!! I have been with Directv for 20years and been through hurricanes with receiver connected to generator for power and a room full of relatives watching a movie with wind at over 100mph and rain coming down sideways and still had signal (about 30) but it worked. This rain fade bullcrap that the cable company says about Satellite is not true. I would guess that my total downtime due to rain fade is about 45 minute to 60 minutes in over 20yrs. Maybe I have been just lucky. That is also for 4 houses and 2 states. I love my Directv and would never give it up. I am not a employee of Directv or have anything to do with them except as a customer. Only thing I wished Directv would do is let us pick which channels we would like to watch instead of paying for tons of channels I never look at. Beside's that, I am a happy customer with Directv and would never go back to cable or even think about it.

Reactions: Jimbo
Picture quality, choice of many sports that I watch in HD, customer service & price. Unfortunately it's the latter now that will make me have to switch or cut the cord as what I pay now for D* is more than what my friends are paying for tv & internet combined, and that's still after going down to a lower package, reducing my boxes to only 2 & new promos. My local cable channel & Uverse are running some really good no contract bundled deals that's making me seriously consider to jump switch but D* upside keep me hanging on, for now.

Picture quality, choice of many sports that I watch in HD, customer service & price. Unfortunately it's the latter now that will make me have to switch or cut the cord as what I pay now for D* is more than what my friends are paying for tv & internet combined, and that's still after going down to a lower package, reducing my boxes to only 2 & new promos. My local cable channel & Uverse are running some really good no contract bundled deals that's making me seriously consider to jump switch but D* upside keep me hanging on, for now.
I can't remember exactly, but I think I remember that DirecTV's picture quality is better than Dish from my experience. Am I right? It's been a long time since I switched.

I signed up because they had a good deal on the Filipino international channels package. Dish also offers a Filipino package but they didn't have the main channel I wanted (TFC). With that being said, I will probably switch to FIOS or Cablevision Optimum TV once my 2 year contract with DirecTV is up. DirecTV is way too expensive after the first year promotions end. With FIOS I can get a bundle with cable tv, internet, and the Filipino channels for a lower price than DirecTV.

For me it was mainly Sunday Ticket. I've had Dish, Mediacom, and Suddenlink in the past and DTV just feels like a cleaner, more polished product. PQ is phenomenal IMO and channel selection and equipment are really good too. I've used HR2*, Dish VIP*, TiVo, and several other cable boxes. DTV's HR44 is the best of all by FAR IMO. To each their own, I suppose.

As for price, I believe it's always been fair given the higher quality and offering. I could switch and save $20-30/ month but so far the extra $$ is worth it to me to me to have a seamless experience and never have to worry about what I want to watch being aired and in HD. If the price gap continues to increase I may have to reconsider, however. I've also noticed that the CSRs aren't as generous with their offers as they used to be.

In any case, very happy with the product thus far and don't plan on leaving any time soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)