What is DIRECTV's new GENIE?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wish DirecTV would knock off the name game. I know what an HR34 is and now know what a C31 is. I know what DECA is too. I have VOD, PPV, MRV, TV Apps, Pandora, and YouTube via a "white" DECA box I DON'T know what a CCK is. I don't have one and evidently don't need one. I think it is dumb name for a different color DECA box just like HMC is dumb name for an HR34. They confuse me. And, I still don't now what a "Genie" is. A device? A system? I wish they would put it back in the bottle. Hopper? Joey? Stupid?

I should add SWM, or SWiM, or what ever those consumer confusing setups are called. I understand those too but not by name but by how many terminals are coming off the dish head.

I seek clarity. Look at my Avatar. What head is it? How would a consumer ever know? It is a DirecTV SWM SL3. What dish is it? I painted over the "Dish Turbo HD" and stuck on a DirecTV decal. I didn't want to confuse the consumer.

Last edited:
You can record any three shows at one time.

Edit: I assume you mean with the Hopper.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

During prime time, you can only record two shows at once, besides the four major networks selected by Dish. Unless you can turn off PTAT, which I didn't think you could.

"Alexander Doak, owner of Spectra Stars."

"Less than 1% of all high definition televisions are actually showing true 1080."

And is that 1080i or 1080p and was it from a compressed signal?

I think in a nutshell this means free HR34's for everyone.

I think the real issue is do you want...

A) Have H25's in the additional rooms and have an additional free tuner and loose the ability to pause live.

B) Put the RTU clients in each room, tie up a tuner on the HR34, but have full DVR functions.

I personally think the 5 tuners spread out over 4tv's is better than Dish networks 3 tuners over 4 tv's with prime time 24.

Also looks like new software is rolling out for the HR34, and I think the ad skipping stuff will be turned on depending on the outcome of the Dish lawsuit.

Overall a win win for Directv

It all depends on when the contentions are an issue. If it is like it is for me, the contentions that are harder to deal with are broadcast since they tend not to repeat real soon. So if you have a Hopper using PTAT, you still have 2 tuners for something else. With the HR34, you only have one tuner left to watch/record something other than the 4 broadcast. Outside of prime time, the HR34 wins hands down though.

I have 2 of my HR24s hooked to one TV so I can have all 4 broadcast recording at the same time when I need it, otherwise it is generally overkill.

From my POV, both the Hopper/Joey and the HR34/C31s would be winners and certainly gives both D* and E* some marketing fluff to put in ads! :)

"Less than 1% of all high definition televisions are actually showing true 1080."

I know that I use 720p on my 1080p plasma for everything except 1080p source and that is because the AVR I use has a very good video massager built in that only goes to 720p, otherwise it is a bypass. I fiddled extensively with 1080i and 720p from the HR and found that the HR@720p via my Harman Kardon AVR produced the overall best picture.

The biggest reason full 1080 (either i or p) isn't being seen on so many televisions is because of something called "overscan" (different manufacturers use different names). Overscan is a default setting on nearly every TV, and on some models is almost impossible to turn off. It's not really about your media source or compression methods.

It all depends on when the contentions are an issue. If it is like it is for me, the contentions that are harder to deal with are broadcast since they tend not to repeat real soon. So if you have a Hopper using PTAT, you still have 2 tuners for something else. With the HR34, you only have one tuner left to watch/record something other than the 4 broadcast. Outside of prime time, the HR34 wins hands down though.

I have 2 of my HR24s hooked to one TV so I can have all 4 broadcast recording at the same time when I need it, otherwise it is generally overkill.

From my POV, both the Hopper/Joey and the HR34/C31s would be winners and certainly gives both D* and E* some marketing fluff to put in ads! :)

Why does ANYONE have a need to Record all 4 MAJOR networks at the same time ... ?

Everyone knows NBC has NOTHING on it ...

Just don't see a need to Record all the Primetime showings in the first place.

Jimbo said:
Why does ANYONE have a need to Record all 4 MAJOR networks at the same time ... ?

Go on E*s site and ask that question. I'm sure you'll get a "few" responses on how great ptat is.

Well I'm glad you're not the one that picks what I watch! :)

I wouldn't argue if you said recording all 4 during all of prime time because I don't do that either. And of course, my taste in shows may not match yours, and that's why we have all these channels to pick from! For instance, I don't record any of the 'reality' shows except for Survivor, all the rest are drek IMO, and I don't record Dancing with the has beens, or any of the singing shows.

Just for the hell of it, I looked at next week's lineup and found the number of shows I'll record next week on the big 4:
ABC = 8
NBC = 6
Fox = 5
CBS = 15

That doesn't count any sports, just recurring sitcoms and dramas.

As to NBC, well tastes differ. I find some of their shows to be good, some just so-so, and some suck. Pretty much like every other channel in the Premier pack! :)

Last edited:
During prime time, you can only record two shows at once, besides the four major networks selected by Dish. Unless you can turn off PTAT, which I didn't think you could.

No, you can turn it off and have all three. Or leave it on and grab the four networks and record two others.

It's handy if you have someone in the home that watches a lot of network content in prime time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This is the first time I've heard of the guy. I suppose it depends upon what he means by true 1080, but I think his numbers are way off.

Well I'm glad you're not the one that picks what I watch! :)

I wouldn't argue if you said recording all 4 during all of prime time because I don't do that either. And of course, my taste in shows may not match yours, and that's why we have all these channels to pick from! For instance, I don't record any of the 'reality' shows except for Survivor, all the rest are drek IMO, and I don't record Dancing with the has beens, or any of the singing shows.

Just for the hell of it, I looked at next week's lineup and found the number of shows I'll record next week on the big 4:
ABC = 8
NBC = 6
Fox = 5
CBS = 15

That doesn't count any sports, just recurring sitcoms and dramas.

As to NBC, well tastes differ. I find some of their shows to be good, some just so-so, and some suck. Pretty much like every other channel in the Premier pack! :)

OK, now, look at your list and see how many of your PT shows that your recording are on at the SAME TIME, I bet you don't record more than 2 at the same time.

ABC = 8
NBC = 6
Fox = 5
CBS = 15

then you've got people like me
ABC-0
NBC-1 (but that might be gone after this week)
FOX-0
CBS-1

Now if PTAT was like History, TruTV, A&E then we'd be looking at numbers like that ;)

OK, now, look at your list and see how many of your PT shows that your recording are on at the SAME TIME, I bet you don't record more than 2 at the same time.

I know my wife does, and has added shows that she would not normally watch just because of the feature. (Ive even piicked up one or two simply because they are there, whereas I rarely if ever watched anything on the main networks besides live sports before we got it).

Of course, it is not of great value for everyone, people such as Ice (as shown by his example) would use it sparingly, if at all.

You'd lose that bet, although not as often as I had thought. Just next week there are 3 times that I will be recording 3 at that same time, and once that I'll be recording 4.

And remembering last year, there were plenty of times I would record 3 at a time, and some 4 at a time. Talking nothing but broadcast channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.