What is the best way to hook my internet connection up to my VIP722 HD DVR receiver??

bigbluenation

Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Kentucky
Hey I am bigbluenation and I am a Dish Network subscriber. I wonder if anyone has a cheap way to allow me to hook up my internet connection for I can use the remote access DVR control and also not have to pay the extra 5 dollars a month that is upstairs to my Dish HDDVR downstairs without having to run wires from downstairs to upstairs or vice versa?? I currently have cable internet connection and have a wireless Netgear WGR614 802.11G router. What do I need to complete what i want to do? Also any idea when more HD channels will be avail and will DIsh ever get the On Demand feature like Time Warner has?? Any help would be appreciated.

If you can hook up one of your 722s to the internet you can use the built in homeplug to connect the others via the power outlets. Note that a surge protector or UPS can block the homeplug signals.

If you can hook up one of your 722s to the internet you can use the built in homeplug to connect the others via the power outlets.

That is a false statement.

Homeplug will not connect to the internet through a receiver that's connected.
You must use a homeplug device as the internet connection source.

If you want to use Homeplug which is already built into 722s, just plug a Homeplug adapter into an electrical outlet next to the router and then a Cat 5 cable from the HP adapter to the router. That'll connect the 722 via the electric wiring. You can use a wireless bridge or wireless game adapter connected to the receiver's ethernet port to connect wirelessly. The best solution to maximize bandwidth is ethernet cable directly to your router.

My 722 won't recognize my wireless game adapter. Network is configured for DHCP and all computers are seeing the router and internet through the game adapter ok. Have tried receiver reset. Any ideas?

I used one of these [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-AirStation-Converter-WLI-TX4-G54HP/dp/B000BNDEZY"]Amazon.com: Buffalo Technology AirStation Turbo G High Power Wireless Ethernet Converter ( WLI-TX4-G54HP ): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4140Q213J2L.@@AMEPARAM@@4140Q213J2L[/ame]

I just set it up and now I have 4 ports to use for my DVR, Blu-Ray, etc.

Buy and run an eithernet cable. You can get a 50' cable with both ends for less the $15.
And this setup will be bullet proof.
You guys can keep your expensive wireless junk.

Personal experience

I had a problem in which the new 722K wouldn't work with a D-Link router (wireless/wired). I had it hard wired to the K and still nada. So the K went back to E* well got a 2nd unit same problem. So wound up connecting direct to cable modem, bingo instant connection. So I wound up removing the the D-Link and replacing it with a wired only Linksys. It has been happy ever since. Think it has to do with the set-up D-Link's using, the Cisco install wizard and the 722K. Seems like they don't play nice together. If any knows a work around I wouldlike to know if not I going to be getting a Linksys wirless/wired/cable modem combo to try.

Buy and run an eithernet cable. You can get a 50' cable with both ends for less the $15.

I agree, I picked up a 24 port switch for a few bucks on EB, plugged it in the router, and ran cat5 ready made cables to the 722 and 222, save $10/mo.

If you can get the RG6 cables to the box you can get a cat5 there too....

I bought two netgear XE102's off ebay for $20. One plugs into the outlet near my router, with an eth cable connected to it from the router. The second is plugged into an outlet near the 722, with an eth cable ran from it to the 722. EASY.

Sometimes you don't have an easy way to run cable and only wireless "junk" will work.
Enjoy then , I'll find a way to run a wire ,before I spend $100 + on wireless equipment thats trouble proned.
Wireless isn't a mastered technology as far as I'm concerned.
And for what the equipment cost ,It Should be.
I've replaced 2 Wireless routers at $70 a shot from Verizon in the past 18 months , because of Wireless failure. All the hard wired equipment worked fine. If it wasn't for my laptop I wouldn't have anything wireless but my phone.

Enjoy then , I'll find a way to run a wire ,before I spend $100 + on wireless equipment thats trouble proned.
Wireless isn't a mastered technology as far as I'm concerned.
And for what the equipment cost ,It Should be.
I've replaced 2 Wireless routers at $70 a shot from Verizon in the past 18 months , because of Wireless failure. All the hard wired equipment worked fine. If it wasn't for my laptop I wouldn't have anything wireless but my phone.

I have had no issues with my wireless equipment and I have Verizon. I didn't pay $100 for my wireless bridge. I was just showing the OP that there is a wireless bridge available if running cable was not an option. We really had no way to tell what he was looking for so I merely offered up another solution.

I quoted you earlier because you made it sound like there was no other reliable way than running a cable and I believe this to be false. You should not dismiss a technology just because you believe your way is better. The OP asked for suggestions and I was merely offering another choice. I was not saying that this is the best way but only a way. The description of wireless technology as junk is an opinion and not fact. I have been using my wireless bridge for a year and a half and have only had to reset it twice.

Yes, before you say it, I am sure you have not had to reset your connection with your wired connection but since the OP asked for suggestions and not how to run cable I thought I would try to help.

Tell hat to my wife, she almost killed me for running 3 cables for my dual tuner receiver from the dish antenna
ended up having to fish them through existing cable tv wall tunnels....
some people just cant run cables and it would be great to run ethernet if your router is on the first floor and the receiver computer etc is on the second.....

so the wireless "junk" does help more than you think

I paid 50bucks on ebay for 2 powerline adapters! and its not wireless its actually using existing powerlines and using them as a solid ethernet connection, there is no signal that can stop powerline adapters....

please dont bash other users for this it was a suggestion someone stated for people who dont have the luxury of running cables

excuse my english since its sorta not my main language

Incase anyone missed it Powerline Adapters are NOT wireless adapters
some actually are but they are more of wireless extenders used for routers to reach dead areas in the house

look on ebay for "netgear powerline" mostly you can get a pair for under 50bucks

I bought two netgear XE102's off ebay for $20. One plugs into the outlet near my router, with an eth cable connected to it from the router. The second is plugged into an outlet near the 722, with an eth cable ran from it to the 722. EASY.

Actually, you only need ONE netgear xe102, plugged in and attached to your router. The 722 is homeplug compatible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)