What receiver to buy and from where?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Back when I was into FTA Fortec Star was a big name and Sadoun was a supplier. So now that I am getting back into the hobby, what is a good and easy receiver to use (good/fast blind scan easy to set up)? Also where is a good place to buy from these days? Thanks for the info!

I personally like the MicroHD. small, affordable and solid performer. Some will disagree with me but its solely my opinion. The AmikoA3 seems to be popular..maybe another member can chime for a review of it?

I wont post any seller URL out of respect for them (dont want to come across as playing favorites if I forget 1 or 2).

Reactions: primestar31
The A3 has a learning curve, that you don't have with the Mini HD SE or Micro HD. So be sure check thoroughly on the A3 if you are leaning that way. I have a cripple from lightning and a new replacement A3, and would recommend whole heartedly. But, as I stated it does have a learning curve. Also run the Micro HD and like both units.

Here's a plug. I love my amiko mini hd. Thanks to titanium.
Are you doing c or ku or both?
The HH120 motor plays flawlessly on usals for ku from 50 to 127 degrees.
C band as a slave from the uniden 9000 that powers the c dish works great.
Blind scan is fast on c and ku.
AMC 8 radio feeds play fine on c.
You pick up by blind scan I believe almost every feed out there especially on ku-band.
I had the x2 premium hd receiver hooked up to usals for ku and the amiko for c-band but the x2 usals was not perfect and drove me nuts because the receiver wouldn't go back to the correct spot on disecq and usals plus the x2 would constantly lose power and turn back on when switching satellites so I switched responsibility.a month ago and have had no problems with amiko, usals, power or anything.
If just ku and you can afford a 4ft dish then I would get it. Primestar size dishes miss s2 feeds
X2 premium blind scans almost as fast as the amiko but it's better w/o a motor..
AZBox premium, openbox s10, traxis 3500 are nice receivers but blind scan is slow. I blind scan alot sometimes.

Plus you can blind scan by polarity which I do all the time. AMC 6 horzontal and SES 2 vertical don't have many feeds then you can skip if you want.

I remember Fortec, my first STB was the FortecStar Dynamic, still have it (in the closet as a backup) as it has some great blind scan options. Wonder if they are still in the business of FTA. They also sold dishes. Currently I use an Amiko Mini HD SE, a great receiver. Also got an X-Square Premium Mini, the cost was $35 and it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, for the price can't complain, works well.

I remember Fortec, my first STB was the FortecStar Dynamic, still have it (in the closet as a backup) as it has some great blind scan options. Wonder if they are still in the business of FTA. They also sold dishes. Currently I use an Amiko Mini HD SE, a great receiver. Also got an X-Square Premium Mini, the cost was $35 and it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, for the price can't complain, works well.

http://www.fortecstar.com/ looks like they are.

Haven't distributed in North America for about five years. Product is primarily sold in the UK and Africa. Very little focus on the hobbyist friendly products and features after David McGrath left the company.

I have seriously mixed feelings about the A3. It's got lots of features, but it also has some bugs. The most irritating one for me is that it won't record certain programs, and when it flakes out it goes into a bad state. I've also had to reload it from an almost-bricked state once. It was so close to bricked I had to boot disk it.

I don't use the streaming features of the A3 anyway, because I have a computer on the same TV.

I think if I was doing it over again I might go with the Mini HD SE. I do have a script set up to transfer my A3 programs to my computer automatically; I'm not sure how easy something like that is on the Mini HD SE.

Barleyguy, Have you read the threads by Maverick and mc6809e where they report the recording errors on specific programs has been linked to the drive and format that you are trying to record to? Written about it here on Satelliteguys, but Goggle only found this link on FridgeFTA site:
http://www.fridgefta.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=36709&pid=99878#pid99878
http://www.fridgefta.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=36810&pid=99983#pid99983

Try formatting your DVR target drive to exFAT.

I actually did try that. My internal drive is formatted to exFAT. When I try to record certain programs, I get a symptom where the target recording drive goes from "C:/PVR" to "/storage/external storage/sda1/PVR", and nothing will record. If I go to File List, it will take about 15 minutes and then finally show the drives. But if I try to record a program it doesn't like (or it's still in a timer), it will go into that state again.

People reported those same symptoms in the thread about MeTV, so that's why I think my issue is related.

The irritating thing is that it will not only miss that particular program, but any programs for the next day or so until I've done a file scan or rebooted the box. It's really made it so I can't trust that something will get recorded when I ask it to.

T134 does know about the issue I believe, so hopefully it will be fixed in 2.0.73. But I'm pondering switching receivers.

(Sorry for the thread hijack.)

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)