What stuff did you watch on the big dish back then?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

danderson500

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2017
GB
Mostly NFL games, and a few TV shows before they aired. what was your favorite thing to watch on BUD

Most Sundays, i was moving the dish from T301 & 302 for the CBS games(Redskins, Bears, Cowboys Falcons, 49ers etc.) to to K2 and K1 for the NBC feeds(Broncos, Raiders, Bills, Dolphins etc.) NHL playoffs, was doing the same thing with the Anik satellite to see the CBC feeds.

There was a time when it was the only TV we had. Too distant from town to get an OTA signal, cable was horriable, run by crooks who knew they had no competiton, did not care.

Mostly watched the same things as traditonal TV. Backhauls of sports. Enjoyed the feeds of the syndication like Star Trek.

I really enjoyed the Canadian sat for traditional TV watching. You got mostly the same shows, all in one place, mostly, without paying.

Before VCII came along, i watched a lot of NFC games. Then i switched to watching AFC games. NBC was always ITC, so that's what i watched.

Hi All,

I got into the BUD hobby in 1991, I had a Radio Shack system and it performed flawlessly for many years.
I remember watching many network shows commercial free, days before they aired on their respective network. Also remember watching syndicated Star Trek Next Generation feeds, live news feeds of both reporters and network anchors out in the field. You'd be amazed what happened on those feeds during commercial breaks.
Also...can't forget those channels devoted to satellite TV. Greensheet with Shawn Kenny and a satellite TV shopping network which sold LNBs, satellite receivers and other assorted satellite dish items, hosted by a guy named Ali.
The a la carte system offered by satellite subscription services could give you a year's worth of programming for pennies, compared to what you would pay for cable TV.
Although C/Ku band is still fascinating to watch today, it was even more of a treat 20+ years ago

John

Growing up when we had the big dish it was sports feeds, loved hearing the announcers during commercial breaks

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Basil Bassett Bingo!

The Skyvision Show (we had an audio subcarrier on that channel so this channel was always on!)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I had a 4DTV so I had subs back then such as the Denver 5, HBO, Cinemax, etc. Of course, Star Trek series was a biggie for me. Watched the clean feeds of TNG, Voyager, DS9 as well as shows like Viper, etc. I miss those days.

Reactions: satjay
In the early 80's we watched pretty much everything. In the mid 80's I found FM America with Keith Lamonica which made for interesting listening as it was on the American EXXXtasy channel with a sub carrier of 6.2. At that time they were still using Telis encryption and not VCII. I loved the NASCAR back haul feeds and was always fun to watch Bob Jenkins and Benny Parsons talk between commercials. 1986 saw the Cale channels start encrypting, but found Canada's Movie Network and SelecTV for movies. In 87 my dad broke down and got a VCII. At the time lot of channels ran fix keyed and surprisingly in 87 and 88 the big freebies were request TV and Viewers Choice. Loved Borsight and greensheet and K-SAT with Chuck Dawson. So many memories that I could go on. I loved the good ole' days of C-Band. For me it was an 80's version of Roku.

Sent from my Z932L using the SatelliteGuys app!

Mostly NFL games, and a few TV shows before they aired. what was your favorite thing to watch on BUD

It depends on how far back, back then was. I started selling BUD's in 1979 and back then, nothing was scrambled. HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Select TV and every other channel was ITC. It was several years before the Videocipher came out, and another 2-3 years before most of the non-pay channels spent the money to encrypt their channels. The movie channels went first.

Even after everything went encrypted, the program packages were very reasonable in price. I actually liked the analog days more than digital. Much fewer problems, the weather almost never affected the signals and it wasn't really a big deal moving from one satellite to another. Now, if someone in California farts, something goes off, sometimes for good. It's easier to get a large amount of channels on one transponder with digital, but there's a boat load of things that can cause you to lose a channel, like Hallmark.

I've tried to get it back in for over a month and used 5 different receivers and two work arounds still haven't got it back in. I have a dozen or more channels that used to come in that won't now, and nothing has changed on my end. I even put up a 12 foot dish trying to get them back in, and nothing, yet the other channels on the satellite are booming in. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't know what it could be. I enjoy what we're getting, but it frustrates me when I can't resolve a problem. I'm quirky. :)

It depends on how far back, back then was. I started selling BUD's in 1979 and back then, nothing was scrambled. HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Select TV and every other channel was ITC. It was several years before the Videocipher came out, and another 2-3 years before most of the non-pay channels spent the money to encrypt their channels. The movie channels went first.

Even after everything went encrypted, the program packages were very reasonable in price. I actually liked the analog days more than digital. Much fewer problems, the weather almost never affected the signals and it wasn't really a big deal moving from one satellite to another. Now, if someone in California farts, something goes off, sometimes for good. It's easier to get a large amount of channels on one transponder with digital, but there's a boat load of things that can cause you to lose a channel, like Hallmark.

I've tried to get it back in for over a month and used 5 different receivers and two work arounds still haven't got it back in. I have a dozen or more channels that used to come in that won't now, and nothing has changed on my end. I even put up a 12 foot dish trying to get them back in, and nothing, yet the other channels on the satellite are booming in. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't know what it could be. I enjoy what we're getting, but it frustrates me when I can't resolve a problem. I'm quirky. :)
When i had one, i'd watch the two NBC baseball games on Saturdays, until MLB started encrypting in the late 80s. ABC had two games on Monday Nights back then too. I can't rememebr how many NFL games i saw on satellite back, likely a lot.

In the early 80's we watched pretty much everything. In the mid 80's I found FM America with Keith Lamonica which made for interesting listening as it was on the American EXXXtasy channel with a sub carrier of 6.2. At that time they were still using Telis encryption and not VCII. I loved the NASCAR back haul feeds and was always fun to watch Bob Jenkins and Benny Parsons talk between commercials. 1986 saw the Cale channels start encrypting, but found Canada's Movie Network and SelecTV for movies. In 87 my dad broke down and got a VCII. At the time lot of channels ran fix keyed and surprisingly in 87 and 88 the big freebies were request TV and Viewers Choice. Loved Borsight and greensheet and K-SAT with Chuck Dawson. So many memories that I could go on. I loved the good ole' days of C-Band. For me it was an 80's version of Roku.

Sent from my Z932L using the SatelliteGuys app!

I hadn't heard Keith's name in decades. I followed him as well. I used to enjoy watching the Red-Green show out of Canada. You may remember Select TV. For my taste, it had HBO and the others beat hands down, but it disappeared. Don't remember if it was bought up by HBO or one of the others or if it couldn't compete. If some of the garbage on TV today was aired back then, the FCC would have pulled the plug on them. FOX is the absolute worst for airing trash TV. I never watch them. Too trashy for my taste. Nice to see someone else remembers the old days.

Reactions: shew
When i had one, i'd watch the two NBC baseball games on Saturdays, until MLB started encrypting in the late 80s. ABC had two games on Monday Nights back then too. I can't rememebr how many NFL games i saw on satellite back, likely a lot.

If someone was playing, you could get it. I used to watch a lot of baseball. Never got into the NFL much. Hated basketball. It was like watching paint dry. Loved watching Hockey out of Canada, and Curling. I don't know what I found so interesting in it, but once I found it, I couldn't change channels. You could always count on someone during a Hockey match starting a brawl. Kind of like Roller Derby. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)