Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lassar

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Illinois
The list was last updated 10/10/2011

Things have changed since then. CW's channels are no longer dvb-s. And they have changed frequency.

When do you expect to update the list ?

well it depends

qwert1515 periodically updates the KU side. I normally try to get the C-Band side. Here is where the problem lies
Now that I work again and my schedule being quirky its hard for me to spend a day scanning to update. Remember....my dish is ghetto moved (as in I move it manually)
Also the program qwert uses is not compatible with the channel editor that the Manhattan uses so I have to use the GeosatPro 200 so I can dump a Channelmater list into it. Since the MH doesnt use Channelmaster its harder to work with.

I know he has been working with SatelliteAV (I think) to see if the editor on the Geosat MicroHD will work with the program he (qwert) uses. If that works then it would be easier.

The work on The List is done by volunteers - I am sure those who could help make it easier - are welcome to chime in.
Bob

Perhaps we could assign sats to people on the forum and it would be that persons responsibility to update his or her particular satellite. Say two satellites to one person to help lighten the load and provide a more updated and fresh list.

I would volunteer to do an update on one satellite in my arc, both C & Ku, just not 97W, on a bimonthly schedule. I am better on the mid to west side, as I have a large hill and forest directly east of my location.

How about a mailbox where we can dump info, and from there someone just pulled the info and post it in the proper sat???

I think if the guys running the forum are up for it we can get enough volunteers together to provide an updated accurate list that could be done on a frequent basis. So long as they vet the people with the proper gear to receive the intended satellite. I wouldn't mind keeping track of two ku sats and submitting them say on a monthly basis.

i will volunteer to check some satellites. i have the azbox premium and the solomend and dsr200c and will update as soon as the microhd comes out. i do my 7.5 manually also. charlie

KU Band isnt the issue as both of us have KU capabilities.

Its the C-Band side that we would need the help with. I know I have asked folks for 113 & 116.8 C-Band updates as I have tree and footprint issues. Also anything East of say 55.5 is tree blocked.
If there was a way qwert could get the system integrated to work with some different editors (other than say Channelmaster) then we could get the S2 stuff too. Hopefully he chimes in soon.

I believe that maintenance of THE LIST is much more difficult than many of us comprehend and I want to say (expressly to ICE and to QWERT) that I appreciate your efforts to keep THE LIST updated and I certainly do NOT envy the task.

This is meant to be a humble compliment for all the work that both of you and the supporting staff have put forth in that regard. Thanks!

Gordy (AKA RADAR)

Sorry about the delay in updates, I have been away from my dish for a while,
so I have not been able to spend as much time as I would like to.

I have setup a system to remotely control my equipment and scan while I am away.
The system has failed a few times due to about five different equipment failures... :(
You fix one thing and then when you’re away something else fails that you didn't think of...
At least I have learned from each one of them :)

Last week I tested the system out a few times and it is working perfectly.
So I will update the Ku band and C band that can be picked up with a 1.2 meter dish shortly.

It's not difficult to update TheList as long as the data comes from receivers that give reliable information.
Some receivers give all of the necessary information, some give some, and some don't at all.

TheList is updated by passing the Channel Master file to a program on my computer that compares the information to TheList's database.
The program is able to "update" TheList for most changes, but if too much change or the channel is new then it is subjected to human verification.

TheList has a web user interface to add the channel name, language, web link, other information...
but there is a problem with the web server that I need to fix.

I never heard back about the editor and I have looked for it, but I was unable to find it on the internet.
I tried to figure out the file format, but I was unable to get all of the needed information from it.
Unfortunately that limits us to Channel Master files and manual updating.

As Iceberg said we can scan the Ku band side from 58° W to 148° W, scans from satellites east of 58° W would be helpful.
However we can use help to fix scanned names if they are incorrect, add language information and links.

We really need help on the C-Band side.

If we are able to find volunteers to scan satellites I can setup a place on the server to upload the files to.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I will volunteer to do an update on a C-band satellite in my arc on at least a bimonthly schedule. I am better on the mid to west side, as I have a large hill and forest directly east of my location. My arc range is shown in my signature. If you will let me know which satellite, exactly what data, which file format to use, and where to put it, I will be happy to scan and report.

i volunteered but i see a problem somewhere. i think it would be a problem with my equipment. the list says tp is 3849H15030. my azbox premium plus says it is 3847H15028. and my solomend s9 says 3845H15030. one thought i have is if the list has a channel that i want to tune in, if i put the freq/polarity/bit rate into the tp list, i am not going to find the signal on the solomend. i would hope that the azbox would tune in the channel though. i don't think though if my equipment is off, i shouldn't volunteer to monitor any channels though. charlie

If the frequencies are off by a smidge (1 or 2) that is no biggie as thelist can fix that. I know when I scan I've seen that and its easy to fix on a channel update before posted to the list (I think it looks for duplicate or near frequencies and corrects it)

Well my arc ends at 131W due to a hill with trees but I have the potential to scan Cband from probably 18w as I have a relatively clear view to the East and plenty of chainsaws. I have tree issues with Satmex but I just picked up a 7.5' that may fit up front to scan those. I usually have 1 day a week where I can spend a few hours moving dishes and scanning. I can point my 13' from about 18w to 131w if I want to find the fringe birds. I already have a lot of cband programming saved from like 87w to 131W but am looking into scanning the atlantic birds as I have time. I would be more than happy to scan a certain bird that nobody else can get.

is there a proper method to check for frequency accuracy when we find a new fta channel? for example, when montana pbs went to dvb-s2 i could go to the website for montana pbs and they showed the freq and bit rate for the channel. is that the way to confirm other finds? there might be a help faq that already covers this... as a former engineer with at&t putting in terrestrial radio routes in the 4 and 6g band i used to have access to assigned freq channels but that was 25 years ago. there still might be a data base that has that information to check for assigned channels. charlie

I am not sure why we keep a list? With sathint and lyngsat available are we not reinventing the wheel? I have never referred to it but maybe I am missing something?

I am not sure why we keep a list? With sathint and lyngsat available are we not reinventing the wheel? I have never referred to it but maybe I am missing something?

One stop shopping?

Lyngsat is often quite inaccurate as they rely on general users to report the status of services. Often Lyngsat reports channels moving to a new satellite or going off air, but we know that they have not moved and are still on the same satellite. Someone has submitted a report in error and had their dish aimed wrong or other malfunction with reception equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)