When changing channels screen is black, and channel won't load

memo90061

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hmm, I don't know if this is a noob question, or a real problem. I just got the Hopper today, and I'm still getting used to it. I have the Hopper with the Super Joey. I noticed when changing the channels, sometimes the screen just stays black. I have to "turn off" the Hopper, and turn it back on for it to load the channel. I thought maybe all tuners are being used? I checked TV activity, and it showed there was a free tuner out of the 5.

I also noticed when it has the black screen, when I press info on the remote on the TV it shows the satellite where the channel is on, and an S next to it. For example, for E! it showed 129S when it had the black screen, but when the channel has loaded it's just 129.

Is this a noob question or a problem?

Give your new equipment a few days to settle in. They haven't completely downloaded everything they need to function 100%...

IF this keeps up past the first week, try rebooting it. Ours rarely exhibits that behavior, but it has. If after a few weeks and if re-booting does not solve this long term, then contact Dish and they may send a tech out to check the system, and replace your Hopper and Joeys if necessary.

I this problem when I go to live tv after watching something on screen. You can a black screen with channel logo and no audio. You have go up or down a channel and it is fixed. Happening on both hoppers over the last week.

Hmmm, it's weird. I can't view any of the PrimeTime anytime channels either. What's the best way to reboot the Hopper? Changing the channel has worked sometimes.

Unplug the receiver for about 30 seconds.
And then plug back in. This is called a hard reset. Another way is to push the red button on the front of the receiver,under the left front flap, till it reboots. The third way is through the menu itself. You can hit settings then diagnostics and you will see a RESET Receiver tile . You push it over your remote and it reboots. There is also the smart card reset. You pull the smart card out and push it back in . It is located under the same black front left flap on the front of the receiver. There are your 4 ways to reboot a hopper.

Reactions: charlesrshell
And then plug back in. This is called a hard reset. Another way is to push the red button on the front of the receiver,under the left front flap, till it reboots. The third way is through the menu itself. You can hit settings then diagnostics and you will see a RESET Receiver tile . You push it over your remote and it reboots. There is also the smart card reset. You pull the smart card out and push it back in . It is located under the same black front left flap on the front of the receiver. There are your 4 ways to reboot a hopper.
Is the hard reset (unplugging) the best way to reset Hoppers & Joeys? If so, do you how why it is better than the other ways to reset?

I this problem when I go to live tv after watching something on screen. You can a black screen with channel logo and no audio. You have go up or down a channel and it is fixed. Happening on both hoppers over the last week.
I've had this same issue intermittently over the past couple of months on both my Hoppers...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Lol. Everyone forgets the 5th one. Until it was implemented in the tech section for CSRs, da was a great source to help the 'less technological knowledgeable'.

Had one of my Hoppers did this today when it was changing channels to record a program. It switched channel and then went black, no video or audio. I went to the guide and selected another channel and it came back.

Lol. Everyone forgets the 5th one. Until it was implemented in the tech section for CSRs, da was a great source to help the 'less technological knowledgeable'.

I'd have to check when I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure it's not listed in the tech instructions for agents to follow. It does mention the power plug, the reset button, and for the Hopper/SJ, the menu reset. No mention of the smart card reset, but that is, of course, listed in flows that have to do with the card (like troubleshooting an 019 error).

Honestly, too, if a person can't find the power button or the reset button on the front panel, I don't know that I trust them to navigate a website.

(EDIT) I've tried to talk several people through either navigating the mydish.com website, or signing up, and had many not know the difference in the URL bar on their browser and a search bar. I'll ask them to go to mydish.com, and they start reading me what appear to be search results. I had one guy just flat-out give up, he simply could not understand what I was asking him to type and where. Honestly, if they can't navigate the internet, online billpay and programming changes are probably not a good idea.

The recommended way is the power plug pull, of course. One of the reasons told to me was that allows it to dissipate any static electricity in the system.

(also, not mentioned, is that for internet-connected receivers, a dish agent can do a reset from their tech screen, the STB health page)

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

The stb health page was the one I was referring to. As far as the DA, I would log into their account and do it for them(if needed with their permission of course).

The stb health page was the one I was referring to. As far as the DA, I would log into their account and do it for them(if needed with their permission of course).

Yep, I've done that many times, gone ahead and resolved the online issue, when given permission, but when someone can't even figure out how to navigate to the page, I fear that setting things up for them is a fail...they'll never be able to get there. That one guy, if I could have at least been able to get him to navigate to the page, I was going to do the rest, but nope...he couldn't figure it out, and I was worried he would click something other than a Dish page in the search results. I've mentioned before, and it bears repeating...the folks on this site are not the typical user, they're mostly the power users.

Being able to do things via STB health is pretty neat, but rare...think I've used that perhaps 2-3 times. I'll get a lot that have the health, but the area to remotely do things is all greyed out (phone connection only)

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Oh I used it a lot with the broadband accounts(you know they have Internet then. Lol.) but at the time, hopper wasn't on the list. Did they finally add it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)