Where to buy 2" pole for pole mount?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sws1

Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
I need to mount dish is back yard. Can't seem to find a pole with an 2" outer dimension. I bought a 2" pipe from Home Depot, but it was 2" on the inside of the pole, not the outside.

Help.

I had the smaller pole for my Dish 1000.2. I bought a 12" pc of 2" exhaust pipe from autozone and installed it over the pole and mounted to it. Worked great.

I was under the impression though that the 2" poles were easily found at HDepot and Lowes.

Make sure you buy Sch40 galvanized 2"OD pipe; check at any building or plumbing supply company. Do not buy any non-sch40 thin-wall post.

I went to both Lowes and Home Depot. No 2" pipe. Found some sort of 2" metal conduit, but the 2" is measured INSIDE the edge. Got it home, only to found out the bracket won't fit over it.

I supposed I can also buy the adapter that Solid Signal sells, which would convert my existing 1.x" pole into a 2" pole at the top. Anyone use one of them?

I supposed I can also buy the adapter that Solid Signal sells, which would convert my existing 1.x" pole into a 2" pole at the top. Anyone use one of them?

That was what was recommended to me because I had a pole with an of of around 1.8".

I opted for the 2" exhaust pipe as I stated above so I did not have to wait on the shipment and could keep my pole that was already cemented.

I used a hammer and slightly dented the top and bottom edges of the pipe so it would slide over the pole and stay in place by making a semi tight fit. I then drilled two holes and ran hardware thru it. Its sturdy as hell.

Ill see if I can find the pictures on here.

Here's the pic of mine. You cant tell its a pipe slipped on, but if you look near the bottom of the dish bracket youll see a self tapper I put in to hold it in place, then you'll see one of the two bolts I added.

This has been very sturdy so far.

Attachments

• 083107_19181.jpg
    083107_19181.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 2,472
I went to both Lowes and Home Depot. No 2" pipe. Found some sort of 2" metal conduit, but the 2" is measured INSIDE the edge. Got it home, only to found out the bracket won't fit over it.

Go to a local building or plumbing supply you can find in the yellow pgs; not home centers.

The best solution is to use a 1-5/8 inch diameter outer pole and an adapter like this one sold on eBay;

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - (eBay item 150165981667 end time Oct-04-07 17:08:42 PDT)

There are basically two methods that can be used to get a strong enough pipe. Use either heavy wall 1-1/4 inch nominal pipe or rigid conduit. Both are 1-5/8 outer diameter actual.

You can also use a galvanized 1-5/8 inch diameter chain link line post and reinforce it by placing a farmer's green "T' post inside, drill a1/4 inch hole through the entire assembly to keep it from turning. The built in green steel ground vane is ideal for this purpose. The assembly is probably stronger than the two inch actual post that DirecTV uses.

Also, if you ever want to switch ot Dish, NO adapter is needed. Both Home Depot and Lowes carries these posts.

I think I got my 8' 2" OD sch40 for about $19 and in less than 1hr drive , pay and drive back. It really isn't that hard to find, people just usually are in the wrong store, asking for the wrong thing. But its all good I guess; I just been "dish'ing" since the BUD days and when the manufacturer calls for a spec, thats the spec I want to use; no shortcuts. I have seen wind do some BAD THINGS to non-spec items.

Once again, why buy the adapter online and wait for it to be sent when you can make your OWN. :rolleyes:

We've seen and tried many different adapters using machined aluminum, stainless steel, and all sorts of clamps. Steel would need to be painted and the paint needed time to dry. Others with clamps took time to assemble and other methods required force or heating to put on and so forth.

These just slip on and are exactly two inches outer diameter. Also no extra bolts or screws are needed.

You can find then at a fence supply store in various legnths. I got a 14 foot for around $30.

Make sure you buy Sch40 galvanized 2"OD pipe; check at any building or plumbing supply company. Do not buy any non-sch40 thin-wall post.

This is exactly right :up
You will NOT find any Schedule 40 at Home Depot or Lowes, you need to go to a local Fence company.

I too placed a 16' Schedule 40 galvinized post in for my AT-9.

Make sure to use concrete and place a hole at the lower end and place a bolt or something like that thru it.

Also, my post was actually 1 7/8th" OD, just short of 2"
I set the pole set the dish fine tuned it and ran a screw into the side of the pole, there happens to be a hole already in the mast, worked great !

Jimbo

That was what was recommended to me because I had a pole with an of of around 1.8".

I opted for the 2" exhaust pipe as I stated above so I did not have to wait on the shipment and could keep my pole that was already cemented.

I used a hammer and slightly dented the top and bottom edges of the pipe so it would slide over the pole and stay in place by making a semi tight fit. I then drilled two holes and ran hardware thru it. Its sturdy as hell.

Ill see if I can find the pictures on here.

I hope it holds up for you, muffler pipe is normally fairly thin walled. No where's near schedule 40

Jimbo

The best solution is to use a 1-5/8 inch diameter outer pole and an adapter like this one sold on eBay;

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - (eBay item 150165981667 end time Oct-04-07 17:08:42 PDT)

There are basically two methods that can be used to get a strong enough pipe. Use either heavy wall 1-1/4 inch nominal pipe or rigid conduit. Both are 1-5/8 outer diameter actual.

You can also use a galvanized 1-5/8 inch diameter chain link line post and reinforce it by placing a farmer's green "T' post inside, drill a1/4 inch hole through the entire assembly to keep it from turning. The built in green steel ground vane is ideal for this purpose. The assembly is probably stronger than the two inch actual post that DirecTV uses.

Also, if you ever want to switch ot Dish, NO adapter is needed. Both Home Depot and Lowes carries these posts.

I would NEVER reccomend someone to use a 1 5/8ths pipe.

I would NEVER reccomend someone to use a 1 5/8ths pipe.

Well,

Wineguard uses a standard 1-5/8 inch mounting tube for their 76 mm dish.

The design of the AT9/AU9 dish is a result of the RIGHT HAND LEFT HAND RULE.

Basically, the Research and Development Lab guys at DirecTV had little experience or consideration for the parctical world of the field installer. It happens very often in bureaucracies and other large organizations. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. It is also known as the principle of unintended consequencies.

It is Basic 101 engineering that a heaver wall tube of a smaller diameter can have the same or higher strength than a thin larger diameter tube. Concrete grouting the "T" post inside the thin wall tube makes the structure stronger than the 2 inch tube alone.

Dish Network had greater foresight in standardizing their mast diameter for the 1000 and 1000+. It is similarly evident in military organizations, when NATO standardized their ammunition calibers.

I install both DirecTV and Dish Network, and I stock only one pole size. For 18 inch DirecTV, Phase III and Dish 500, I use the standard chain link fence line post. For a 1000+, I use the "T" post combination. For an AT9 or AU(, I add the adapter.

We have installed 150+ AT9/AU9 in three years without any issues. Even after heavy storms, we have not had realignment calls.

Luckly there was an installer doing a new install a few doors away from me, I went down and talked to to him about doing a 5lnb upgrade and showed him what I had. When he came back to do the insall for me he brought along an adaptor the fit over my 1 5/8" pipe to make it into the 2" os. required. this was done by slipping the pipe over my existing pole and attaching it with a few self tapping screws. He did have to cut down the height of my original pole as he said it was to high and the weight of the new dish would make it unsteady.
By the way he done a great job and have not had any problems with the install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts