Why can't channels be grouped?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Probably a simple answer to this but why can't Directv or any content provider group channels by content? What I mean is why can't you have CNN, FOX News, MSNBC all grouped together instead of here and there. This goes for all channels like sports, education, cartoons, etc...

Back in the days where it was important to have a lower number, contracts were signed that designated them at the numbers they are. Hopefully when D10 lights up there is some better grouping or a feature that allows the user to have them grouped. Directv did give us that filter category screen on guide but who uses that? I turned mine off on the HR20 the moment the feature was available.

I agree 100% and its the thing I hate about DirecTV the most.

Like channels should be grouped together. Like ESPN is in a low channel number but the rest of the sports channels are all over the place on DirecTV.

In addition they have shopping channels just scattered all over with no rhyme or reason.

To an extent, Dish does group their channels. News channels and sport channels other than the RSN's are grouped. Channels like TCM, FOX Movies, IFC, Bravo ...etc are grouped. Superstations are grouped next to locals. (in the 8000 range, then your locals will be right after that in whatever range they are in) Public service channels and music channels such as the MTV VH1 CMT etc... are all grouped as well as the cartoon channels. There are a couple of other groupings but you get the picture......

Yeah I know and since I have been a Dish Customer for 7 years now I am use to that type of grouping which is why the DirecTV lineup confuses me.

I am sure if I was not use to the Dish Network lineup then I would not have any issues with the DirecTV lineup. (You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks) :D

John, if my name wasn't written in my underware, I wouldn't know what my name is... you want me to remember channel numbers? :D

(Only kidding about the underware thing)

Nothing is perfect, I can't believe the minor issues that people complain about on here.

If there is an issue people will complaign about it (if not they will make up an issue and then complaign about it) :)

Nothing is perfect, I can't believe the minor issues that people complain about on here.

So, you are complaining about people complaining about a minor issue which you don't think should be a complaint? Huh, okay. My original post, if you look closely, was a question and not a complaint.

Well, I do because the channels are not grouped together the way I'd like them to be. So the filter brings them together so to speak.

I dont use it since I have my channels narrowed down. Its frustrating if you are not using it. I just wish they gave it to us an option on all receivers. Only the HR20 does that now.

D* does use what they call channel "neighborhoods" but as others have said, certain networks have their out of "neighborhood" channel positions protected by their contract with D*. Think of it like a "zoning variance" for CNN, ESPN, etc....

Shopping channels!?! Don't tell my wife! :D I actually just go through and remove those channels from the favorites list. And as for the news channels, they are mostly in the low- to mid-200's aren't they? PPV in the 100's, Movie channels in the 500's, sports are in the 600's, and Music in the 800's. The rest I may never look at. I never bother with the "low numbered" ESPN (206 and the like) because the HD feeds for these are in the HD "zone" of 70's through 90's. And as for trying to remember the channel numbers, I am happy to have D* since their numbers only go up to the 800's (not counting international/special interest channels). E* has numbers into the upper thousands!! :eek:

Actually D* does group channels, to a certian extent.
Keeping in mind the "Lower" channels exception, witch were important in the early days. High priority channels were placed in the low 200's outside of these ...

Locals are in the low 100's
HD's are in the 70- 100, soon to change when the new sat goes live, why the NY and LA have to be there I don't know, probably the HD thing.
PPV's are in the 100's
General programming is in the 200's
News is mostly in the mid 300's
Music is also in the 300's
International is in the 400's
Movies are in the 500's
Sports (FSN wise) are in the 600's
PPV Sports are in the 700's

Locals along time ago were placed in the 8-900's due to there being no access to the 1- 99 channel range with the older receivers.

Religious and Shopping channels are scattered all over the place for some reason,
generally in the 2-300 range

Now that numbers are accessible into the thousands no telling how they will do it.... they will probably model the new line up by what DISH has been doing with thier set up, as usual, it seems they are not very good at deciding for themselves.

DISH is why D* now has a "Leasing Program" . I kinda wish you had the option as to lease or buy.

Now with the potenial of having channels from 1- 9999 I just hope they are not all over the place.

Jimbo

So, you are complaining about people complaining about a minor issue which you don't think should be a complaint? Huh, okay. My original post, if you look closely, was a question and not a complaint.

well if was was a complaint it would be justified,
may they are just to lazy to make things simple

In the age of the social networking explosion on the internet, I've never understood why some principles aren't being applied to things outside of websites.

I would love the ability to tag channels as 'sports', 'family', 'movies', 'steve', 'kara', 'crap', etc, and then be able to query the channel listings and tell it to display steve + movies + sports, or steve + sports, or sports + movies.

And do it by number, not station, so when something small changes on a shopping channel its tags (crap) still stick.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts