Why do some businesses use DirecWay

rkolsen

Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
I was around town today, and I noticed that some businesses have DirecWay satellites on there roofs. Why would they use satellite internet, if they could get cable, dsl for business, at higher speeds for about the same price?

I've wondered the same thing myself. I would guess that some of them are following a corporate directive that standardized all locations on the same thing and some of their locations are outside the areas served by cable or dsl.

As for the individual business, no idea, maybe they are just clueless?

I wonder if some of them got a special deal or made a purchase through a company with a special account that allows multiple locations for one set price?

Part of it is Corporate contracts and other issues could surprise you. I've attempted to get any level of DSL/Cable service for locations on the Strip in Las Vegas. I cannot get DSL at these locations (3) and the cable company will not build out a line for a single unit install. Therefore...you'll see satellite in a place where you'd think there were other alternatives.

Over 200,000 businesses use Direcway to network all of their stores. A couple like Cheveron even run their own NOC. Most of them do not use it for internet access but as a way to get info from HQ down to the store without mailing out thousands of copys of the same stuff for instance in a video store when you walkin you see the new release previews on the tv's right, well Hughes makes a unit that can store video onto a builtin hard drive in a receiver just like the ones you use at home. Now the store has the latest promos and a copy did not have to be mailed out.

Some business do have DSL for the internet access along with the Hughes. A motel is an example. They use the internet for customer internet access and the Hughes to report daily sales. The units are also backed with external dial out modem it can "roll back" on if the satellite connection fails.

Most business you cannot even browse the internet on the modem.
Go to hughes.com and click on Enterprise for more info.

www.hughes.com
Today’s fast-moving business world brings new complexities and challenges to your organization every day. You depend on the many systems, networks, applications, and most importantly, people to make your enterprise succeed. Vital to that success is secure, reliable broadband communications to all your locations, customers, and partners.

To meet the changing needs of today’s enterprises, Hughes has developed an extensive portfolio of managed broadband products and services. Whether you are looking for high availability networks, digital media services, or enhanced services, HughesNet for the Enterprise is a complete suite of broadband services designed to support your business.

* Managed Network Services
* Digital Media Services
* Enhanced Services

When you’re looking for the peace of mind of a fully managed network, a digital media service to help distribute your information with speed and efficiency, or a VPN service to manage your securely access your remote sites, it’s time to discover the freedom of HughesNet. It’s Broadband Unbound—to help you meet your business goals.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)