Why I love about the STELA/STELAR bill?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shkarter1985

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Greenwood, South Carolina
We've been DIRECTV subscribers for almost 6 years. Recently STELAR has became law (P.L. 113-200) and what I like about the new bill is, orphan counties will soon be allowed to watch in-state programming. And the retransmission consent reform too.

From a website about STELAR. I highlight the important stuff in red, blue, and green.

Title I
Extends until December 31, 2019 the exemption from retransmission consent requirements for satellite retransmissions of network station signals to subscribers outside the station’s local market if they reside in unserved households; extends unto January 1, 202 the prohibition on exclusive retransmission consent contracts and the requirement that TV broadcasters and multichannel programing distributers negotiate in good faith and Allows the FCC, following a written request with respect to a particular commercial television broadcast station, to add communities to or exclude communities from a station’s local market. Directs the FCC to afford particular attention to the value of localism by taking into account: (1) whether the station has been carried historically within such community; (2) whether the station provides coverage or other local service to such community; (3) whether modifying the local market of the television station would promote consumers’ access to television broadcast station signals that originate in their state of residence; (4) whether any other television station that is eligible to be carried by a satellite carrier in such community covers news, sporting, and other events of interest to the community; and (5) viewing patterns in households that subscribe, and in households that do not subscribe, to MVPD services.
The FCC is permitted to determine that communities are part of more than one local market and prohibits the FCC’s market determinations from creating additional carriage obligations that are not technically and economically feasible for a satellite carrier by means of its satellites in operation at the time of the determination. A satellite carrier is prohibited from deleting from carriage the signal of a commercial television broadcast station during the pendency of any such proceeding.
FCC amendments are delayed in regard to joint sales agreement (JSA) rules under which a television station that sells more than 15% of the weekly advertising time of another station in the same market is attributed an ownership interest subject to ownership limitations. Provides JSA parties an additional six months to comply with the amended rules.
A prohibition against deletion or reposition of a local commercial television station during periods in which major television ratings services measure the size of local television station audiences is removed.
The bill terminates, one year after this Act’s enactment, the FCC’s set-top box integration ban that prohibits MVPDs from placing in service new navigation devices that perform both conditional access and other functions in a single integrated device and directs the FCC to establish a working group to identify and recommend standards for a not unduly burdensome, uniform, technology-neutral, software-based, downloadable security system that promotes the competitive availability of such devices.
Satellite carriers are required under the bill to submit annual reports to the FCC regarding: (1) the local markets in which television broadcast station signals are retransmitted with a community of license, and (2) the use and potential use of satellite capacity for the retransmission of local signals in each local market. Terminates such reporting requirements after each satellite carrier has submitted five reports.
FCC is required to submit to Congress: (1) an analysis of consumers’ access to broadcast programming from television broadcast stations located outside their local market, (2) alternatives to designated market areas to provide consumers with more programming options, and (3) recommendations to increase localism in counties served by out-of-state designated market areas. The FCC’s annual report on cable rates is to include the aggregate average total amount that cable systems pay for retransmission consent.
Small cable operators process for filing of effective competition petitions by small cable operators, particularly those that serve primarily rural areas is to be streamlined by the FCC.
Title II: Copyright Provisions – Extends until December 31, 2019, the statutory license under which satellite carriers retransmit distant television broadcast stations to viewers who are unable to receive signals for such stations in their local market and expands the local service area for cable retransmissions of low power television stations.
Title III: Severability – Provides that if any provision of this Act is held to be unconstitutional, the other provisions shall not be affected.

Will this means I get in-state Charleston, SC and Columbia, SC locals in my market of Greenville, SC or the FCC rules remain the same? I hate hearing bad news folks. Unfortunately our NBC station (WYFF channel 4) does NOT carry Today Show's 4th hour with Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb, but I do get three adjacent markets OTA with an outdoor antenna at my location.
1.)Augusta, GA
2.)Columbia, SC
3.)Charlotte, NC

What's your thoughts about STELAR and in-state programming?

I used to live in NC on the border of 3 DMAs (Greensboro, Raleigh, Roanoke VA) and with the AM21 and significantly viewed ABC, CBS, NBC from Roanoke I had access to each market. We did not get the Roanoke VA channels in HD even though the Roanoke DMA border counties in VA got some Greensboro channels in HD.

Now I live in VT. Our locals are statewide, even though VT is technically 3 DMAs. The Burlington VT DMA is northern VT, western NH, and NE NY. All the Burlington channels (WCAX CBS, WPTZ/WNNE NBC, WVNY ABC, and WFFF Fox) are statewide. Boston DMA is eastern MA, Southern NH, and SE VT. NH is similar... The state has 3 DMAs but their two locals (NH pbs and WMUR ABC) are technically in the Boston DMA but are available in the whole state. WLED Littleton is a full power repeater of PBS and is technically in the Burlington DMA, which makes it available in NH, VT, and NY. Sadly, not HD on Directv though. There are some quirks with the two satellite companies... Dish doesn't carry WMUR state wide but NH pbs is in HD even here. Dish carries the VT CW (WPTZ-2) but Directv does not. I am "moved" to Boston for more, better PQ locals. I get VT and some Montreal OTA.

It's been this way for a long time up here. I doubt much will change down there. Get an AM21 and you'll get the other three markets on your guide. To force a third (4th etc) DMA into the AM21, re-run the initial setup with your home zip and add the other markets ad secondary zips. It will keep building the list. That's the easiest way you'll get what you want.

I used to live in NC on the border of 3 DMAs (Greensboro, Raleigh, Roanoke VA) and with the AM21 and significantly viewed ABC, CBS, NBC from Roanoke I had access to each market. We did not get the Roanoke VA channels in HD even though the Roanoke DMA border counties in VA got some Greensboro channels in HD.

Now I live in VT. Our locals are statewide, even though VT is technically 3 DMAs. The Burlington VT DMA is northern VT, western NH, and NE NY. All the Burlington channels (WCAX CBS, WPTZ/WNNE NBC, WVNY ABC, and WFFF Fox) are statewide. Boston DMA is eastern MA, Southern NH, and SE VT. NH is similar... The state has 3 DMAs but their two locals (NH pbs and WMUR ABC) are technically in the Boston DMA but are available in the whole state. WLED Littleton is a full power repeater of PBS and is technically in the Burlington DMA, which makes it available in NH, VT, and NY. Sadly, not HD on Directv though. There are some quirks with the two satellite companies... Dish doesn't carry WMUR state wide but NH pbs is in HD even here. Dish carries the VT CW (WPTZ-2) but Directv does not. I am "moved" to Boston for more, better PQ locals. I get VT and some Montreal OTA.

It's been this way for a long time up here. I doubt much will change down there. Get an AM21 and you'll get the other three markets on your guide. To force a third (4th etc) DMA into the AM21, re-run the initial setup with your home zip and add the other markets ad secondary zips. It will keep building the list. That's the easiest way you'll get what you want.

How do you do it on AM21 OTA tuner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts