Will My Tivo Work?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tim1970

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Can anyone tell me if my TIVO standalone dvr will work, until the Voom DVR is available. I realize the recordings will not be in HD, but will it even record? Also, does TIVO get guide data from VOOM?

BTW, When I ordered my service last night, the CSR told me the DVR would be available before the middle of the year. I know this was just a CSR, but still sad news. :(

It will work if it is a series II and version above 4

tim1970 said:
Can anyone tell me if my TIVO standalone dvr will work, until the Voom DVR is available. I realize the recordings will not be in HD, but will it even record? Also, does TIVO get guide data from VOOM?

BTW, When I ordered my service last night, the CSR told me the DVR would be available before the middle of the year. I know this was just a CSR, but still sad news. :(

I have a toshiba SD-H400 and it works fine

Go to the TIVO site, support, and search for VOOM

tim1970 said:

Tivo works with Voom. When you go through the Tivo setup menu you can select Voom-Usa as your provider.

Here are some of the gotcha's:
1. You'll have to use the IR receivers rather than the serial cable to allow the Tivo box to change channels on the Voom box.
2. So far no guide data will be available for local channels. You can still record the locals but you'll need to do manual recordings by time and channel and type in the channel number as it won't be in the pull down list of choices.
3. You noted it already - standard def.

The nice thing is your recordings will still be letterbox on the tivo, not 4x3 (most voom hd is wide screen/letterbox). Sure it wont be in hd, but the correct ratio for hd tv viewing. Another nice + is you get the great tivo channel guide layout. When or if power ever goes out to the voom, or you unplug or reset, you lose your voom guide data for some time on the voom box. Tivo will still have the data. Less irritating. Another thing, I have this errie feeling this Christmas time we will STILL be crying "wheres that voom dvr???". Atleast with the tivo, you can control and record NOW.

Okay, I couldn't take it anymore. I broke down and ordered two Series 2 DVR's from Tivo. They have a web special on their web site that makes it $50/unit after rebate for a remanufactured model.

I plan on hooking them up through S-Video on my two Voom STB's. Since they are networkable (like the upcoming Voom DVR), it doesn't matter which Tivo records what show.

Knowing my luck, the Voom DVR will be released the day the Tivo boxes come in the mail. :D

Dont expect that rebate too soon. It took me the longest time to get it. Only after I baggered them did they finally come thru. Tivo is really poor on getting rebates out.

randym431 said:
Dont expect that rebate too soon. It took me the longest time to get it. Only after I baggered them did they finally come thru. Tivo is really poor on getting rebates out.

Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully, the Voom DVR will come out within the 30-day return period for the Tivo boxes. That sure would make me and everyone else happy :)

subdude212 said:
Tivo works with Voom. When you go through the Tivo setup menu you can select Voom-Usa as your provider.

Here are some of the gotcha's:
1. You'll have to use the IR receivers rather than the serial cable to allow the Tivo box to change channels on the Voom box.
2. So far no guide data will be available for local channels. You can still record the locals but you'll need to do manual recordings by time and channel and type in the channel number as it won't be in the pull down list of choices.
3. You noted it already - standard def.

I know with everything else going on with Voom that this is a minor thing, but thought I thought I would pass this along.

For issue #2, there is a workaround by telling it you have a cable box as well for the local channel info. I am not sure if this is possible on a Series 1, but the Series 2 Tivo it is. Steps are below:

1) Repeat guided setup
2) Select "Satellite and Cable" for the program source
3) Select "Voom USA, National" for the Sat provider
4) When prompted if you require a STB for your cable service, say YES
5) Select a local cable company for your "cable provider". This will be your guide info for the local channels, so pick a provider that matches the channel numbers you use on your Voom box. You can select from the list of providers, see if the channel numbers match, if not go back and select another provider. NOTE: Usually Basic (A) service is good enough.
6) Check off only the local channels from the listing of "cable" channels.
7) When prompted for input, make sure that both the Satellite and Cable boxes are pointing to the same input on the Tivo (this is because both Sat and Cable are actually the one Voom STB)
8) Select the IR cable for channel changing on BOTH the Sat and Cable box. Make sure they are BOTH set to "MOTOROLA" and code "10035-fast". NOTE: make sure your "cable" provider is set to 3 digit channel numbers to provide faster channel switching

That should do it. Works great on mine! I now have guide info for locals as well as all the Voom stations. This really helps out in the Season Pass recordings to tell it to only record the first run, etc. Also easier to see what was recorded as it has the name of the program instead of "Manual".

SpeedyG -

I had previously been running all my locals from the Voom STB to the Tivo as "SAT" channels without guide information.

Tried your work around this afternoon but my problem is that my local cable system doesn't keep the same channel numbers as the OTA channels for UHF stations (local Fox 21 comes in as channel 11 on cable, for example). Still -- it works well for my local affiliates that come in the VHF channel number range: NBC 4, CBS 7, and ABC 13. WB 40, UPN 62, and PBS 29 and 33 are just as they were before -- no guide information. Fox 21 (a station I very rarely watch) shows up as Univision with incorrect program guide information, but I don't think that will bother me in the long term.

Thanks for the idea!

CDH.

PS -- Now if we could just get TiVo to allow recognition of an external antenna for local stations allowing correct channel mapping!

CDH,

Glad it worked for you (sorta) :)

Yeah, it would be great if Tivo would support ATSC local program information. For some reason, on the support section of their website it says:

"VOOM offers local channels via an Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) tuner. ATSC channels are not supported by the TiVo service. The DVR cannot tune to these channels, and will not display any Program Guide Information for them."

You may want to check this out, supposedly there is a way to "remap" the channel number you get from the guide to what your actual channel number is. This requires that you serial connect into your Tivo and load the module, so be careful. I haven't tried it as it was not necessary for me.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=116879

MY Setup

"Now if we could just get TiVo to allow recognition of an external antenna for local stations allowing correct channel mapping!"

That is exactly what I have done, however my configuration may be unique.

I have 3 TV's hooked up to VOOM using the 4 way splitter they installed. On the 4th, a ran another coax to the TV (house is pre-wired CAT and COAX to a central closet, so this is where it was easier for me) and connected that one as the Antenna feed (using the OTA that VOOM installed).

Re-ran the guided setup to change to Satellite and Antenna and away I went. Only issue is that OTA is Analog, as Tivo is not an HDTV Tuner, but might consider a HDTV STB for OTA of Voom stays lit. If not, it's a moot point when I go back to Dish.

I've Used A Replay Tv Box For Years With Cable. Voom Not Only Do Not Offer A Channel Guide Upload/download; But They Won't Even Entertain A Work-around. Any Luck Out There Using Replaytv? Mike In Santa Ana, Cal.

OHMW said:
I've Used A Replay Tv Box For Years With Cable. Voom Not Only Do Not Offer A Channel Guide Upload/download; But They Won't Even Entertain A Work-around. Any Luck Out There Using Replaytv? Mike In Santa Ana, Cal.
Mike, while in the V* forum click search and enter Voom and Replaytv... you should come up with a thread or two...

mogold said:
"Now if we could just get TiVo to allow recognition of an external antenna for local stations allowing correct channel mapping!"

That is exactly what I have done, however my configuration may be unique.
Only issue is that OTA is Analog, as Tivo is not an HDTV Tuner, but might consider a HDTV STB for OTA of Voom stays lit. If not, it's a moot point when I go back to Dish.

I had done exactly this for Tivo, but I couldn't abide the lousy analog picture quality for locals. (I watch shows like Lost and West Wing in HD, and want to at least be able to record them in wide-screen.) What I'd like is to be able to remap the channel numbers for the guide information received for the "cable" system so that I can have guide info for all the OTA digitals I get via my Voom STB (see SpeedyG's method above).

CDH.

mogold said:
Only issue is that OTA is Analog, as Tivo is not an HDTV Tuner, but might consider a HDTV STB for OTA of Voom stays lit. If not, it's a moot point when I go back to Dish.

Yeah, I see what you are doing, however, I agree with CDH where with the digital signal you can retain the 16:9 aspect ration of the HD programs by setting your TV to Zoom or Stretch the 4:3 recorded program. Doesn't look too bad when doing this. Definitely not HD, but at least it fills the screen.

How do you plan on using the HDTV STB for OTA? Isn't that the same problem that we currently have with the Voom STB? Tivo won't let you do channel changing on any STB if you select Antenna for local program info.

Hopefully this will all be a moot point if/when Voom gets the HD-DVR out. Although I am really starting to get hooked on Tivo's interface. I have been playing with the HME SDK and have made an "Information Portal" that will show the latest weather, news and stocks that I am interested on the big screen. It appears that Tivo is also going to eventually release a HD stand-alone DVR using the new Cablecard's required for cable companies. Unfortunately, this isn't a requirement for Sat companies :(

snaggerbob said:
Don't you have to have tivo plus to be able attach the tivo stb to 2 video sources?

Not sure. I have the $12.95/month plan. Not sure if that's the Tivo plus or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)