Windows 8.1

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Well... I was forced to upgrade my office PC to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 as we are having issues getting new PC's with Windows 7 loaded on them.

When Windows 8 first came out I tried it for a few weeks and I hated it, and went back to Windows 7 after about two weeks.

I have been running Windows 8.1 for a few days now... and I got to say I am starting to really LIKE it. Once I figured out where things were its more like Windows 7 now then it is Windows 8.

For me it is a lot faster then my Windows 7 was on the same machine.

For those who were afraid of Windows 8 or hated it give it a shot now, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I haven't even really needed to do that. I don't have an issue with getting to programs in 8.1. (Now in 8.0 it was a different story) :D

With Win 8.1 you don't need a Microsoft Account to login and you can remove the requirement if you had it with 8.0. SWMBO hates change and I cringed when I had to replace her old Vista machine with an 8.1 box. I set it up and showed her how to get from the apps screen to the desktop and she's been fine with it. She even figured out how to switch to the apps screen to play games and go back to the desktop for email-browsing. If she can do it anybody can.

With Win 8.1 you don't need a Microsoft Account to login and you can remove the requirement if you had it with 8.0. SWMBO hates change and I cringed when I had to replace her old Vista machine with an 8.1 box. I set it up and showed her how to get from the apps screen to the desktop and she's been fine with it. She even figured out how to switch to the apps screen to play games and go back to the desktop for email-browsing. If she can do it anybody can.

You never had to have one. There was an easy around it.

I have found 8.1 usable as is, but I still install a start menu since it is much easier to deal with without a touchscreen.

I have 8.1 running in Parallels on my iMac at work. From the get-go with Parallels, I chose the option for "Windows 7 look and feel" (they install Stardock to do this). I tried the 8.1 interface twice and just shook my head at how different it was and went back to the Win7 option...

Smh, Scott some of us have been saying this for a while. Honestly, you could have had the same experience with Windows 8 (for the most part).

I have 8.1 running in Parallels on my iMac at work. From the get-go with Parallels, I chose the option for "Windows 7 look and feel" (they install Stardock to do this). I tried the 8.1 interface twice and just shook my head at how different it was and went back to the Win7 option...
I think I need a bigger HDD to install this on my mac mini ...

Yes but good luck with them giving you a key to install Windows 7 over Windows 8.

It is easy, you log into your MS account, click on which license you want to downgrade and it will give you a list of license keys to choose from depending on which version you want to install. I use it for my windows server licenses, I currently run Windows 2008 R2.

You must be on some bulk program or something as I see nothing like that on my Microsoft account. (Or I am looking in the wrong place... which is likely)

You must be on some bulk program or something as I see nothing like that on my Microsoft account. (Or I am looking in the wrong place... which is likely)

Yes you have to have the volume licensing program to do it. You mentioned that it was at work, but a lot of businesses do not bother with volume licensing.

Computer Repair Experts...I need your help

Office applications won’t start after installing July updates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)