Winegard Travler D* Satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SeaWolf34

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Greenville, Wisconsin
Bought a 2015 Class A. It has a Winegard Travler Roof Top Satellite. The dish is a slimline SK-SWM3. My rcvrs are HR44 + mini + WVB. Problem. SK-SWM3 is not compatible and I don't intend going backwards to an HR24 rcvr. I do have a portable SWM5 satellite, so this dilemma is not critical. The Travler tunes to 101 99 103.

Question: Is it possible to replace the SWM3 LNB with an SWM5 LNB. The existing LNB has 3 RG6 cables out to the receiver(s). If so, then one cable would suffice, the ramaining 2 being disconnected.

When the satellite is stowed for travel the is enough room for the additional 2 LNB's to exist without being squished by the fold-down slimline. But the SK-SWM5 triple LNB looks to be a tight fit.

Thanks for your input.

Why won't this work with an HR44? Why do you want to move to an SWM5?

Agreed, if it's the SWM version of the Winegard dish then the HR44 will work just fine.

Confused by the "three cables" though. As far as I know the dish only uses one cable, but of course there could be a splitter in there. If so the WVB will connect to one of the three cables.

seawolf - post back and confirm this is an SWM dish, and confirm the number of cables, and if there is a splitter there.. And tell us why you think the HR44 is not compatible.

The manual shows a power inserter, so it must be a swm setup, but there is also mention of the voltage to the lnb being 12-18 volts, which is non swm. Confusing to say the least. Also, the manual shows two cables coming from the dish, one going to an interface box, whatever that is.

Yes, one cable goes to the Winegard interface box and the other to a splitter, looks like a conventional SWM setup to me. That means the HR44 and wireless client setup should work fine.

If the OP posts back, we can explain how all of this works.

Why won't this work with an HR44? Why do you want to move to an SWM5?

The satellite dish is an SK-SWM3, and I did try to connect with my HR44 Genie. When I ran Setup, Dish Config was 17:Slimline-3S, switch type was 01:SWM, and I don't remember if the Tuner was Dual or not. Everything was fine until I checked Signal Strength. There was no signal from any of the Satellites. After trying a number of "solutions", nothing changed. All of above occurred prior to my post!

I spent some time today on YouTube. I had no idea that a power inserter was part of the satellite package. Since I used my power inserter while trying to connect, it would seem logical that 2 inserters most likely muddied-up the outcome. Other than that, nothing else comes to mind. At this point I have not tried again. Just a bit busy today.

BTW; No longer thinking SWM5.

Thanks to all for your responses

The satellite dish is an SK-SWM3, and I did try to connect with my HR44 Genie. When I ran Setup, Dish Config was 17:Slimline-3S, switch type was 01:SWM, and I don't remember if the Tuner was Dual or not. Everything was fine until I checked Signal Strength. There was no signal from any of the Satellites. After trying a number of "solutions", nothing changed. All of above occurred prior to my post!

I spent some time today on YouTube. I had no idea that a power inserter was part of the satellite package. Since I used my power inserter while trying to connect, it would seem logical that 2 inserters most likely muddied-up the outcome. Other than that, nothing else comes to mind. At this point I have not tried again. Just a bit busy today.

BTW; No longer thinking SWM5.

Thanks to all for your responses
If the LNB says SWM3, which is the SK-SWM3, then its definitely a 3, not 5.
Fwiw, I have been wanting one of those for a long time now, but can't justify the money.

The Signal Strength will show nothing with that set up UNLESS you use the Power Insertor, this is the only way it will work... the LNB gets the power from the Insertor in this type of set up, the older set ups got voltage from the recvrs.

So, hook up the PI into the set up, there an In from the LNB and an Out to what ever your using, a splitter if more than one recvr, the recvr if thats the only one.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/SWM TRAVLER FAQs.pdf Here's an FAQ pointing out any SWM receiver/DVR will work.

And here http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2452242.pdf are some installation diagrams.

First let's get the HR44 working.
there should be a two cables coming from the dish, one to the interface unit and one for DirecTV. The DirecTV one should go into a splitter. You need to tell us what splitter you have (how many outputs) but I think the Winegard usually comes with a four-way.. The power inserter needs to be connected to the output from the splitter marked "power passing" (it's usually port 1, and is red). Then connect the HR44 to one of the other outputs.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/SWM TRAVLER FAQs.pdf Here's an FAQ pointing out any SWM receiver/DVR will work.

And here http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2452242.pdf are some installation diagrams.

First let's get the HR44 working.
there should be a two cables coming from the dish, one to the interface unit and one for DirecTV. The DirecTV one should go into a splitter. You need to tell us what splitter you have (how many outputs) but I think the Winegard usually comes with a four-way.. The power inserter needs to be connected to the output from the splitter marked "power passing" (it's usually port 1, and is red). Then connect the HR44 to one of the other outputs.

According to the Winegard training video, a 21V power-inserter is part of the installed hardware. See ____ Four "roof top" satellite connecters are in the wall next to where the D* rcvr is set up. So, if I'm correct, then I would not use my own power-inserter. The installed unit already supplies the necessary power, and I can input directly from the No. 1 sat connecter to the Genie! In any case I'll be testing it tomorrow.

Seawolf, after going thru the video, just to make sure nothing is changed from normal set ups, you clearly Do need to use your Power Inserter.

Here is the easiest way, take the coax from the dish (port C), run coax from there to your PI then out of the PI into the recvr , make sure to use the input on recvr listed SWM, it's usually the 1st one.

No BBC's are required when using a SWM set up.
Also, if your only using 1 recvr, you can skip the splitter and go right from PI to recvr .... IF your doing more than 1 recvr, you'll want to make sure the out from the PI goes to the Power Bypass post, connect your other recvrs to the splitter.

Jimbo, there is also an interface box in this setup.

Yes, but I believe that is separate from the actual Sat set up, as in the Sat signal doesn't go thru it.
Iirc, theres a 2nd line coming off the dish and goes to the interface box.
Yes, that's how it's described in the picture I saw. Just wanted to make sure the TS knows about it.

Reactions: Jimbo
Seawolf, after going thru the video, just to make sure nothing is changed from normal set ups, you clearly Do need to use your Power Inserter.

Here is the easiest way, take the coax from the dish (port C), run coax from there to your PI then out of the PI into the recvr , make sure to use the input on recvr listed SWM, it's usually the 1st one.

No BBC's are required when using a SWM set up.
Also, if your only using 1 recvr, you can skip the splitter and go right from PI to recvr .... IF your doing more than 1 recvr, you'll want to make sure the out from the PI goes to the Power Bypass post, connect your other recvrs to the splitter.

Jimbo; you done it! I ran a cable from the C port, connected to my Power Inserter, etc., and voila, it worked. D* booted up, did a bunch of stuff and there was D* on the screen in my motor home. Conclusion - something between the Sat and the receiver had been buggered up!

I knew where the AC plug for the PI was, but not where the PI itself was. Wasn't hard to find the cover, since it (2' x1') is behind an overhead door in the cockpit. Every item that was shown in the Winegard video was in the same space behind the panel. Looked like an explosion in a small spaghetti factory! Wires everywhere, nothing really secured.

It was the PI (and the installer) that was the problem. The "To SWM and To IRD connectors where crossed. Made the switch, reconnected the installed Sat cable to the "C" port, disconnected my PI from the IRD and it's all good now!

I have confirmed that the PI used in the Winegard setup is all that's needed to feed the IRD.

I really appreciate y'all's input. The "Port C" suggestion did the trick!

Reactions: raoul5788
Jimbo; you done it! I ran a cable from the C port, connected to my Power Inserter, etc., and voila, it worked. D* booted up, did a bunch of stuff and there was D* on the screen in my motor home. Conclusion - something between the Sat and the receiver had been buggered up!

I knew where the AC plug for the PI was, but not where the PI itself was. Wasn't hard to find the cover, since it (2' x1') is behind an overhead door in the cockpit. Every item that was shown in the Winegard video was in the same space behind the panel. Looked like an explosion in a small spaghetti factory! Wires everywhere, nothing really secured.

It was the PI (and the installer) that was the problem. The "To SWM and To IRD connectors where crossed. Made the switch, reconnected the installed Sat cable to the "C" port, disconnected my PI from the IRD and it's all good now!

I have confirmed that the PI used in the Winegard setup is all that's needed to feed the IRD.

I almost bought a RV with one on it, it was used so there was no info with it, after watching the video as well, that looked like what you needed.

Glad to see its working, they are VERY NICE !

Now you have to remember to plug the Power Inserter in whenever your using it, I suppose you could leave it plugged in if you want.

I'm gonna say the Interface box and the PI are placed inside the RV cabinets above the Drivers seat. just a guess, but the majority of the TVs are still up front.

Glad we could be of help...

I almost bought a RV with one on it, it was used so there was no info with it, after watching the video as well, that looked like what you needed.

Glad to see its working, they are VERY NICE !

Now you have to remember to plug the Power Inserter in whenever your using it, I suppose you could leave it plugged in if you want.

I'm gonna say the Interface box and the PI are placed inside the RV cabinets above the Drivers seat. just a guess, but the majority of the TVs are still up front.

The connecting stuff is in the far right corner, overhead in the cockpit. Interface Box, PI, Splitter and any number of items are crammed into a small space. The PI green light faced down and away. The splitter being there was useful, since I was wondering which configuration was used. Oh, and BTW, my blood pressure is back to normal!

Thank you all, especially TexasBrit, Jimbo, and Raoul. .......2nd time nursing me through my D* deficiency anemia!

Denny A

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)