Wire Suitable for Positioner Pulse Monitoring

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I need to reposition my VBOX further away from the dish and need to therefore extend the power and switch monitoring wires. I currently have sprinkler wire doing the duty, but the voltage drop, especially during winter is a killer for the motor power. I'll probably run a 14 ga for power, but that leaves the pulse monitoring wire to figure out.

Has anyone used either regular phone wire or even a twisted pair from CAT5 or 5e for monitoring the positioner reed switch contacts? I'll probably have between 50 and 75 ft distance, but don't know if the overall resistance would pose any issues. Is there a resistance threshold for the monitoring of the pulses? Does anyone have experience that says what will not work for the monitoring wires?

I used CAT-5 for the pulse wires for a couple of years with a Vbox, never remember a problem. Always best to use shielded wires so nothing spurious messes up the count, but it can work. Cheap enough to try, just make sure your hard limits are set, so something don't cause your dish to flop.

Good call on the 14 gauge for the motor power. I prefer to use stranded 14 gauge.

For the sensor circuit, use security system wire. Available in 2-8 conductor, solid or stranded, 18 - 24 gauge with shield and drain wire.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)