Wireless Joey 4s without WAP on your own network instead

While waiting for my WiFi Client routers to arrive, I tried connecting the Dish WAP directly to my router. It dropped offline 15 times in 8 hours today ranging from 5-90 minutes between drops, while the Hop3 and WiFi Joey4s all remained online and linked to Hop3. Obviously not the ethernet port on Hop3.

My Dish WAP is obviously faulty.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Ok. All Joey's are now wired to their own wifi dedicated clients eliminating the repeater channel clogs. I'm back down to 4 WiFi APs, 2 sets of 2 on opposite sides of the house with channels set to avoid interference. My back up ISP, Starlink, tossed in another hitch to overcome with a router firmware update that forces it to broadcast 3 hidden APs as backhaul for their mesh system, even if you don't use it. So I put Starlink router into by-pass mode after putting in a wired router and new wired AP to replace the Starlink wifi. (Starlink is used for guest network, Amazon fire sticks, Directv wifi, and as hot backup failover for main LAN.)

The Wifi J4 dedicated WiFi wired Clients are all set to reboot daily at the same time as their respective J4s and are locked to the AP with the best signal for their location.

The hopper 3 is wired to a Netgear Ex7000 extender with WiFi broadcast off providing LAN access to H3, H+, and a printer.

All dish related equipment H3, H+, WiFi J4s, wifi Clients, Extender, and the Printer using the H3,H+, extender are setup on my network to alert and log anytime they are off the network >1min and are powered by a UPS until generator comes on in 30 secs.

This was set up as of 12/26. First 2 days,
Logs showed offline events only at scheduled reboot times. So far so good. Interestingly, H3, and 2 of 3 WiFi J4s showed no downtime through late p.m. the 29th, even during their scheduled reboot times. The extender for H3,H+ and printer doesn't auto reboot. I use these for my wired WiFi APs and they run well for a year without a reboot.
I think the reboot time for the J4s wired WiFi Clients reconnect so quickly, my network monitor doesn't pick up their reboot consistently.

The H+ though has been weird. It dropped once for 2 mins even though the H3 it is plugged into and provides its LAN connection, the printer, and the extender they are all plugged into remained online.

Does the H+ reboot itself even while the H3 remains on and connected?

Then last night the H3 and H+, were offline for 4 mins at 23:34 (not a scheduled reboot time). I got notification while they were offline and was able to ping the extender and printer they are connected to, all the WiFi J4s and their wifi Clients but not H3 or H+.
Even though the J4s all remained on the LAN, obviously they become boat anchors when the H3 is offline in terms of viewing anything. (Curious if they would still stream from Apps since they have their own LAN and internet connection without H3 or H+?)

So, I've been troubleshooting this for months now. Eliminating the defective Dish WiFi AP and using my own managed network seems to have solved the wifi problems. But, if H3 is dropping (I'm assuming it was rebooting) outside of scheduled reboots, wired J4s wouldn't solve the problem.

What are my next steps?

• Wow
Ok. All Joey's are now wired to their own wifi dedicated clients eliminating the repeater channel clogs. I'm back down to 4 WiFi APs, 2 sets of 2 on opposite sides of the house with channels set to avoid interference. My back up ISP, Starlink, tossed in another hitch to overcome with a router firmware update that forces it to broadcast 3 hidden APs as backhaul for their mesh system, even if you don't use it. So I put Starlink router into by-pass mode after putting in a wired router and new wired AP to replace the Starlink wifi. (Starlink is used for guest network, Amazon fire sticks, Directv wifi, and as hot backup failover for main LAN.)

The Wifi J4 dedicated WiFi wired Clients are all set to reboot daily at the same time as their respective J4s and are locked to the AP with the best signal for their location.

The hopper 3 is wired to a Netgear Ex7000 extender with WiFi broadcast off providing LAN access to H3, H+, and a printer.

All dish related equipment H3, H+, WiFi J4s, wifi Clients, Extender, and the Printer using the H3,H+, extender are setup on my network to alert and log anytime they are off the network >1min and are powered by a UPS until generator comes on in 30 secs.

This was set up as of 12/26. First 2 days,
Logs showed offline events only at scheduled reboot times. So far so good. Interestingly, H3, and 2 of 3 WiFi J4s showed no downtime through late p.m. the 29th, even during their scheduled reboot times. The extender for H3,H+ and printer doesn't auto reboot. I use these for my wired WiFi APs and they run well for a year without a reboot.
I think the reboot time for the J4s wired WiFi Clients reconnect so quickly, my network monitor doesn't pick up their reboot consistently.

The H+ though has been weird. It dropped once for 2 mins even though the H3 it is plugged into and provides its LAN connection, the printer, and the extender they are all plugged into remained online.

Does the H+ reboot itself even while the H3 remains on and connected?

Then last night the H3 and H+, were offline for 4 mins at 23:34 (not a scheduled reboot time). I got notification while they were offline and was able to ping the extender and printer they are connected to, all the WiFi J4s and their wifi Clients but not H3 or H+.
Even though the J4s all remained on the LAN, obviously they become boat anchors when the H3 is offline in terms of viewing anything. (Curious if they would still stream from Apps since they have their own LAN and internet connection without H3 or H+?)

So, I've been troubleshooting this for months now. Eliminating the defective Dish WiFi AP and using my own managed network seems to have solved the wifi problems. But, if H3 is dropping (I'm assuming it was rebooting) outside of scheduled reboots, wired J4s wouldn't solve the problem.

What are my next steps?
Nice setup

Thanks. Figured out Joey4s do not need Hopper+ to stream. Apps on J4s worked with H+ unplugged. Guess H+ is so TV on H3 has access to apps, and that's about it?

What would cause a H3 to reboot while it is being used without warning and well outside of scheduled reboot window?
No telling. Might of detected something!

Thanks. Figured out Joey4s do not need Hopper+ to stream. Apps on J4s worked with H+ unplugged. Guess H+ is so TV on H3 has access to apps, and that's about it?

What would cause a H3 to reboot while it is being used without warning and well outside of scheduled reboot window?
Electrical issues such as a short in the cable, bad house wiring (usually grounds and neutrals touching somewhere), or something inside the receiver itself.

It will also reboot if there's no signal for long period of time in an effort to regain connection to the lnb. But I'm assuming you aren't having signal issues.