Wrigley rooftop owners seek restraining order to halt new Cubs scoreboard

Wrigley rooftop owners seek restraining order to halt new Cubs scoreboard
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-...f-new-cubs-scoreboard-in-court-224258520.html

Inside look at Wrigley Field's expansion and restoration
https://sports.yahoo.com/photos/ins...pansion-and-restoration-1423853550-slideshow/

This is so stupid,just buy these rooftop owners out & make them go away.
They can't do that ... those rooftop people have a LAW stating that the Cubs cannot build to prevent the viewing of the games from those locations.
Its amazing, but they have a contract for I think it was 20 years.

Those roof top owners are the very definition of the expression,"Turd in the punch bowl." And if the Cubs owners decide to build a new stadium in a different location or move the team to another city,are these "no skin in the game" roof top owners going to file an injunction against that too? Surely they realize that they(the roof top owners) are the ones looking like the bad guys in all of this,ESPECIALLY if the whole neighborhood ends up losing the Cubs due to their obstinate,reactionary ways.

Those roof top owners are the very definition of the expression,"Turd in the punch bowl." And if the Cubs owners decide to build a new stadium in a different location or move the team to another city,are these "no skin in the game" roof top owners going to file an injunction against that too? Surely they realize that they(the roof top owners) are the ones looking like the bad guys in all of this,ESPECIALLY if the whole neighborhood ends up losing the Cubs due to their obstinate,reactionary ways.
Sorry, I'm calling bull. If they have a 20 year contract with the Cubs and they've built and invested in a business based on that contract, they have every right to enforce it and protect their livelihoods.

I know little of the history to this story, but why would the Cubs sign anything that would prevent them from running their business. The roof top owners should have considered themselves lucky for the time they had to watch free games.

Sorry, I'm calling bull. If they have a 20 year contract with the Cubs and they've built and invested in a business based on that contract, they have every right to enforce it and protect their livelihoods.
Did any of these roof top businesses offer to have the scoreboard placed on one of their roofs? Apparently the Cubs are trying to buy up some of the rooftop properties & 2 of of the businesses are in foreclosure. What you are having right now is 2 recalcitrants holding up progress for the city & the Cubs. These two businesses are leeches who don't mind building up THEIR businesses,but would keep Wrigley Field dilapidated. It would probably be cheaper for the Cubs to just abandon Wrigley Field & move the team elsewhere,either to another neighborhood or suburb,or to another city. I doubt the rooftop owners have enough money paying lawyers to prevent THAT move. I read where some people consider the renovation plans for Wrigley to be both "elitist" & selling out.....to capitalism I guess. Where are these progressives now? If I read correctly,attendance is dropping precipitously. How many people here have said that Wrigley Field is outdated,has uncomfortable seating for fans & cramped,etc.? This is probably the last chance to actually save Wrigley Field & make it relevant for the 21st century,& these 2 roof top owners are effing it up for everybody else. The Cubs ownership are well within their rights to tell the neighborhood,"screw you," & move the team elsewhere. Are these 2 rooftop owners THAT short sighted?

If I were the Cubs owners,I'd immediately approach whoever runs Soldier Field to see if I could temporarily play games there(preferably starting 2016?) until a brand new baseball only stadium is built,preferably in a "safer" suburb neighborhood,& then I'd tell the roof top owners,"Good luck with your businesses." If I understand correctly,the Cubs OWN Wrigley Field,so they can do whatever they want with it,including level it & make a strip mall or whatever their heart's desire.

Last year CSN Chicago had a brilliant piece on this and had some legal experts on tv to talk about it. Below are the links that are on CSN Chicago's page referring back to the stores. Sections 6.2 and 6.6 under the Wrigley Field Bleacher Expansions area are very key in the whole process as detailed on the second link below.

Complete rooftop contract: http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/unveiled-see-complete-wrigley-field-rooftop-contract
Lawyers Response to it: http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/exclusive-look-inside-cubs-rooftop-contract

Actually I think the Cubs sued the roof top owners because they wanted a percentage of the revenue.

I remember their was a big stink several years ago over this and they where planning on erecting huge curtains or banners to block the view from the roof tops.

If there is a contract here where the Cubs collect a percentage of sales from the roof top people, then they may have a valid argument.

However, without a prior agreement I think the Cubs should be able to do whatever they want

The roof top owners have lost the war,they are just too blind to see it. The Cubs will either get their Jumbotron,or the Cubs will move elsewhere. The Roof top owners CANNOT stop the Cubs from relocating their team elsewhere. What the roof top owners will incur,is the wrath of the rest of the neighborhood for standing in the way of both saving Wrigley Field & keeping the Cubs in the neighborhood. What I have not read,anywhere,is the roof top owners offering to be part of the solution in renovating Wrigley Field,in fact they seem completely the opposite. In fact,they delusionally believe that they can keep things as is,in their favor,& the Cubs will just accept the status quo & remain in place. The Cubs need to play hardball with them & offer the ultimatum,drop all legal proceedings NOW & allow the Jumbotron,or the Cubs are gone as soon as feasibly possible,long before 2023. That stupid contract does not lock the Cubs into staying at Wrigley Field until 2023,it just supposedly says that the Cubs cannot block the view of the roof top sites. Those sites will have an excellent view of an empty & abandoned(& most likely condemned for destruction) stadium then,with their neighbors telling them,"Thanks a lot."

Reactions: navychop
Are the Cubs mentioning a move? They sure seem to be spending a lot where they are.

Did any of these roof top businesses offer to have the scoreboard placed on one of their roofs? Apparently the Cubs are trying to buy up some of the rooftop properties & 2 of of the businesses are in foreclosure. What you are having right now is 2 recalcitrants holding up progress for the city & the Cubs. These two businesses are leeches who don't mind building up THEIR businesses,but would keep Wrigley Field dilapidated. It would probably be cheaper for the Cubs to just abandon Wrigley Field & move the team elsewhere,either to another neighborhood or suburb,or to another city. I doubt the rooftop owners have enough money paying lawyers to prevent THAT move. I read where some people consider the renovation plans for Wrigley to be both "elitist" & selling out.....to capitalism I guess. Where are these progressives now? If I read correctly,attendance is dropping precipitously. How many people here have said that Wrigley Field is outdated,has uncomfortable seating for fans & cramped,etc.? This is probably the last chance to actually save Wrigley Field & make it relevant for the 21st century,& these 2 roof top owners are effing it up for everybody else. The Cubs ownership are well within their rights to tell the neighborhood,"screw you," & move the team elsewhere. Are these 2 rooftop owners THAT short sighted?
Actually, the rooftop people have nothing to do with the team remodeling thier stadium ... from what others have said, the place is not a very good place to watch a game anymore ...

Do the Cubs REALLY need 2 new scoreboards ?
Skip the one in front of the rooftop people, saves a ton of money for them.

They'd lose ad revenue. The scoreboard is a profit center, not a cost center.

Are the Cubs mentioning a move? They sure seem to be spending a lot where they are.
They could possibly approach Soldier Field to allow them to temporarily play there until they locate a suitable place to build a new baseball only stadium.
Putting up the scoreboard,along with upgrading bleachers,was Phase One of a four phase development to upgrade Wrigley Field. Two of the roof top club owners are the ones filling an injunction to put up a Jumbotron,& along with it,the bleacher upgrades. My interpretation is that the roof top owners view any upgrades to the bleacher sections,scoreboard included or not,would block the view of the field from their businesses. Again,my interpretation is that the roof top owners want Wrigley Field to remain AS IS,& I haven't seen any articles to contradict this view. As I've said earlier,this is perhaps the last chance to save Wrigley Field. The roof top owners are playing the role of "Steve Bartman's(Steve Bartman incident https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman_incident ) ," trying to screw up the chances of the Cubs staying at Wrigley field.

Last edited:
If the Illinois state government wants to get involved in favor of the roof top owners,then relocate the Cubs to around Gary, Indiana(still in the Chicagoland metro area),or Chicagoland metro area in Wisconsin.

Lets face it, the Cubs suck. They haven't won a World Series in 108 years.

The only reason why people love the Cubs is because of Wrigley Field.

The White Sux made the mistake of tearing down Cominsky park and building that piece of garbage they call US cellular field.

Everyone loves the Cubs, but build then a fancy new stadium and they are just a loosing team.

My feeling is that the Rickets family wants a new stadium, but can't tear down Wrigley field so they are just rebuilding it piece by piece so nobody notices. Notice the bleachers got torn down and replaced. I don't see nobody crying that they just tore down 99 year old bleachers.

Tear down Wrigley or even Fenway park your going to have an outrage to deal with nationwide.

As far as the roof top owners, they are leaches. They need to understand they are nothing without the Cubs.

If this thing goes to court, they can't win. The Cubs have more money, and will just drag it out until the roof top owners agree to sell out.

But I can see the issue with Ticket prices. You got these roof top guys undercutting ticket prices, and then making revenue off food and beer sales.

You got the roof top guys lowering their ticket prices just to get people in the door to buy food and drinks.

Meanwhile they are in competition with the bleacher ticket sales.

Do the math there are 16 roof top bars. If each one of them sells 150 tickets each game that's like 2000 tickets Wrigley field is not selling per game.

Project that out over 81 games and figure an average of $50 revenue per person, it adds up to some serious money.

If your lowering the value of the ticket just to get people in the door, because after all it's all pure profit for these guys, your taking away a potential customer who would have gone to Wrigley instead

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)