X-Box One as a BD Player/Media Device Thread

Yes, I saw a big press release about this when the PS4 was released. Apparently it was the first device in the world to support this format.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11...o-include-new-dts-hd-master-audio7-1-decoder/

I don't understand exactly what this means though. How is this different than the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 tracks we've been listening to on Blu-ray for years?

Edit: your press release explained what exactly this is a little better than any of the other ones I have read. It sounds like this is mostly for Cinema Now and other future streaming services that choose to support it. It also sounds like it could be really nice for people who only have optical inputs on their AVR. Hopefully Netflix and Amazon start streaming in this format in the future. I have never used the services they mentioned.

"The new DTS decoder not only supports streamed and downloaded video incorporating DTS-HD soundtracks, "

"Streaming services with DTS-HD soundtracks can deliver multichannel audio at data rates up to 512Kbps. If the stream is received at 512Kbps via a good network connection, the sound quality will be “nearly indistinguishable” from lossless PCM soundtracks and from soundtracks encoded in lossless codecs, DTS has said."

"The new DTS decoder not only supports streamed and downloaded video incorporating DTS-HD soundtracks, "

"Streaming services with DTS-HD soundtracks can deliver multichannel audio at data rates up to 512Kbps. If the stream is received at 512Kbps via a good network connection, the sound quality will be “nearly indistinguishable” from lossless PCM soundtracks and from soundtracks encoded in lossless codecs, DTS has said."

Yes, I saw that right after I posted. I really enjoy my surround setup and the lossless formats but I don't understand how everything works as well as some of you. Here is another question for the audio buffs out there. Isn't the standard DTS format 1.5Mbps? Why would this new DTS-HD format be nearly indistinguishable from lossless PCM at about 1/3rd the bitrate of standard DTS. Most blu-rays I see with DTS-HD Master Audio tracks seem to hover around 4.6Mbps. It seems a little unlikely that this new format at 512Kbps could really be that close to lossless.

Maybe this new format is just much more efficient but it still doesn't seem like you would see that much of a bump with such a low bitrate. Maybe I am over thinking all of this and getting caught up in their wording. Even if it isn't that close to lossless it's main purpose seems to be for streaming content. Any improvement in streaming audio is a welcome change for me. Now the question is if Netflix and Amazon will start using this format.

Id guess the new decoder is using some sort of compression, I honestly havent read up on it. Hopefully it just offers an overall upgrade in streaming audio potential.

As far as using it, no mainstream group Ive seen is, but it opens up new stuff for the future. Kinda why I wanted the Xbone/PS4 as the center of my HT for streaming and blu-ray. Sony and M$ proved in the last gen that they were committed and kept adding goodies. Thats the difference between a blu-ray player that gets replaced every year by a new model, or a Roku IMO. These are long term devices and they generally have enough horsepower to keep adding features.

Redmond, Wash. – Microsoft’s Xbox One gaming console, which launches Friday, will incorporate a new Hulu Plus experience.

The console will include a Hulu Plus app for Xbox One that was designed to improve the TV-watching experience, the companies said.

Key new features include: the signature tray-style navigation system that allows quick scrolling through recommendations, popular shows and movies; richer and larger artwork; easier search functionality; a new Shows You Watch feature that jumps straight to favorite shows; and dedicated show pages for Hulu Originals, Hulu Latino, Video Game Trailers and Hulu Kids.

Starting today, a selection of new kids episodes and titles are available in the Hulu Kids hub on the Xbox One.

http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/xbox-one-get-improved-hulu-plus-app/109191

Arrived. Probably won't mess with it until tomorrow. I want to read up and watch some of the videos.

S~

Got mine hooked up last night, but did the initial software download, added two profiles, HuluPlus and that is about it. Initial software download took only about 3 minutes on a 20mb broadband connection, but that was at 12:20 am before the servers got slammed so your mileage may varyWill be trying BluRay content later as well as some games. Had to get an IR emitter cable (Best Buy nor Radio Shack has them in my area, but I found one at the local Comcast office at the recommendation of the geek at Best Buy,... well done sir! They didn't even charge me or ask if I was a customer. I don't feel guilty as they supply the business internet at my office so I technically am a customer. Lol.

My download, at 6mbps isnt moving so fast, but I imagine their are a lot of folks doing it, 51% right now. Going to get setup and do some video tests, just to see how it works for blu-ray.

Here are some pics/compared to Oppo 103D. Im not sure why everyone made such a big deal of the size, its good and heavy and looks great in the tv stand. The power brick is ridiculous though IMO, and I like the glowy Xbox logo on the front.

IMG_2572_zps8f7fe8d5.jpg

IMG_2573_zps9b1980fa.jpg

IMG_2574_zps7d0430a1.jpg

IMG_2576_zps776ead14.jpg

IMG_2577_zps4ecfd329.jpg

IMG_2578_zps6f82e0cd.jpg

Controller says Day One 2013

IMG_20131122_171443_269_zps06b336a7.jpg

Last edited:
It is big compared to other game consoles. It's definitely bigger than the 360 and PS4. Compared to other AVRs and other home theater equipment it isn't big. I've never seen an Oppo in person but I have seen the Xbox One. I'm pretty surprised at the size of the Oppo compared to other blu-ray players. I guess that's what happens when you add all these extra features and processors. I'll be interested to hear how you think the Xbox One stacks up as a Blu-ray player.

For a HT device, the size is definitely right IMO.

Im really surprised how quiet it is. Seemed to pass spears and munsil tests just fine after I downloaded the Blu-ray player app and fired it up. Blu-ray menus from the controller are easy, hope they come out with a remote like the PS3 has.

Id like to see em offer YCBCR, RGB TV or PC is all you can choose now. Also, on the audio, you only seem to be able to choose 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM, there is no bitstream option that I see. It outputs 1080p/24 nicely IMO. Going to download Netflix now and see how it does.

Got Netflix downloaded. Works well, outputs 1080p/60 RGB 24bit, and once again LPCM. Getting the Amazon app now, and Vudu so I can use its speed test.

PQ on Netflix, but at its top tier, Im not sure it looks quite as sharp as my Roku 3 does. Reminds me of the PS3 and Sony 790, which were a little more soft. Keep in mind this is small though, not a big deal. I havent used Netflix in a while, but when I fired this one up it was the newer version that asked me to choose a profile first.

Amazon works fine, most apps are snappy. Some apps see, to exit with the "B", others seem to need you to hit the lit "X" button in the center, which is like a power button as well as other things.

Id say as a player/media device so far:

Menu's are snappy, just the damn odd windows tiles. Still a little quirky.

Blu-ray needs a ycbcr setting

Audio needs a bitstream setting

Super quiet and fast.

OK. One more question, because I never used lossless PCM. Does it matter if I use 5.1 or 7.1, I mean whats the difference between those settings? What does Lossless PCM 5.1 do on a disc that is outputting 7.1 DTSHD or True HD?

Used the Network section of the menu to do a test, it reports back 5.4 mbps down and .47mbps up, which is spot on for my connection.

Ran the DVE Blu-ray thru its paces and the patterns look fine. Do not think having it on RGB is affecting the brightness setting at all (have seen this happen before). Blu-rays load fast, I set it to auto play. Once you download the Blu-ray app, just sliding in a disc makes it go to town. One other potential problem I see with the RGB setting, is most DVRs output ycbcr. So you are going to send ycbcr 444 into the Xbone, then itll send out RGB 444. Not sure how I like the Xbone doing the conversion, but I cant see where it did anything wrong. Other issue is a lot of tv's dont handle RGB with changing settings, or at all. Hopefully they can rethink that, I mean the PS3 does ycbcr.

I like how the eject and power button on the Xbone are touch (no push), and sound a noise. As stated above the lit X logo on the box itself is nice and not too bright, but the one that is lit on the remote is a little bright. Hopefully moving forward they allow for some more adjustment. I cant speak to gaming, but for a release day unit, Id say they are doing OK with blu-ray playback and stuff like Amazon. Still cant get over how quiet it is.

Last edited:
OK. One more question, because I never used lossless PCM. Does it matter if I use 5.1 or 7.1, I mean whats the difference between those settings? What does Lossless PCM 5.1 do on a disc that is outputting 7.1 DTSHD or True HD?

I haven't looked at any settings yet, but "lossless PCM" should really mean "uncompressed PCM", I think. Meaning the DTS/Dolby decoding has already been done.

It does, I guess I dont get why have a 7.1 and 5.1 setting. Why not just 7.1, or LPCM and it puts out whatever channels there were. Surely it isnt something I need to change per disc?

I mean on bitstream, it just outputs the raw 5.1 or 7.1, whats on the disc. This wants you to pic 5.1 or 7.1 for LPCM. Why would it just not decode and send out those channels that are there.

There has to be a bitstream option somewhere. It was buried on the PS4 too. It wasn't in the main settings menu. You had to push the options button while a blu-ray was in the drive.

When I play games I use PCM on the PS3/PS4 because some games have uncompressed audio at a higher bitrate than DD or DTS can handle. I choose 7.1 even though I only have a 5.1 setup and let my receiver decide what to do with it. Some games are 7.1 PCM some are 5.1 PCM and some are even 2.0 PCM. The PS3 always outputs 7.1 no matter what the game source actually has. The extra channels are just silent. It doesn't do any Dolby Pro Logic type of thing to mix in the extra channels.

I would choose 7.1. That way your receiver gets all 7 channels on movies that have it. Only 5 of the channels will likely have sound on 5.1 movies even if it says it is outputting 7.1. The only downside is that you wouldn't be able to use PLx because your receiver will think it's getting a 7.1 source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)