X-Box One as a BD Player/Media Device Thread

Can't find one. Looks like it will only decode and send LPCM. Honestly, I'd rather have my receiver do all processing.

S~

Me too for the most part. The only thing I use LPCM for is games. The reason being that these consoles can do a live conversion of game audio to DD or DTS but not to their lossless versions. Some games max out their audio at what DD or DTS can handle but some are taking advantage of these bluray disks to include higher quality uncompressed audio. If you choose to bitstream your games in DTS or DD some fraction of that audio quality is lost.

For movies I'm with you all the way. I love seeing DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD light up on my AVR screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also just read if you pull down on one of the sticks, maybe the right, during movie playback, it brings up a playback details screen with bitrate, audio type etc...

For movies I'm with you all the way. I love seeing DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD light up on my AVR screen.

Mine is less resources used by the video device. I'm of the video does video and audio does audio mindset.

S~

I think back to when the PS3 came out as a blu-ray player. A lot was added later, so I expect to see some changes. I wish their was a place to offer support.

I like it thought, all the apps and blu-ray in the same place, its fast and very quiet IMO. Gimme bitstream and an actual remote like the PS3 had, or at least let me turn off the logo on the controller.

One more question on the LPCM.

Im currently running a 3.1 system. So if I set it to 7.1 LPCM and the blu-ray is 5.1, its going to send out 5.1 and 2 dead channels? My AVR will then downmix the 5.1 into 3.1 just like it would with bitstream 5.1? Of course if the disc is 7.1 it will just downmix the 7.1 into 3.1 for output.

Just wanted to make sure Im clear that the 7.1 setting on the xbox with a 5.1 disc doesnt cause issues with the empty channels, I just assume the AVR knows they are empty or ignores them?

Cool. Not using it at all, might some day. Fact the thing is looking at me with a camera all the time weirds me out lol.

Will try and do harmony setup now and see what happens.

One more question on the LPCM.

Im currently running a 3.1 system. So if I set it to 7.1 LPCM and the blu-ray is 5.1, its going to send out 5.1 and 2 dead channels? My AVR will then downmix the 5.1 into 3.1 just like it would with bitstream 5.1? Of course if the disc is 7.1 it will just downmix the 7.1 into 3.1 for output.

Just wanted to make sure Im clear that the 7.1 setting on the xbox with a 5.1 disc doesnt cause issues with the empty channels, I just assume the AVR knows they are empty or ignores them?

I believe that's how it works. The PS3/PS4 always sends out 7.1 PCM even if the source is actually stereo or 5.1. I don't hear any rear activity on stereo sources even though my receiver shows that it is getting 7.1. The Xbox probably works the same way.

I have always let it default to 7.1 because that's what it sees on my receiver. My receiver is setup to always output 5.1. I assume it isn't throwing away the extra 2 channels and instead mixing them into my 5.1 setup. I think it would do the same for 3.1.

Harmony setup fine with Xbox One. Did it under game console with DVD.

Ill probably still use the controller, I played around with all the buttons just now while a movie was going, and while many are duplicates, its straightforward. I like if you push DOWN on the right stick while the movie is playing, it tells you all the playback info (bitrate, resolution, frame rate, audio type, etc...)

Im gonna try a light dim on the logo on the controller.

Seems like every new piece of equipment is a chore. Moving components around again. Ended up almost the same way as before I started. I'm going to wait maybe on the Kinect and experimenting with running the cable box through the Xbox. I'll hit the rest of the setup after lunch. Everything is in place, I guess.

S~

Yeah, I know. I had Directv running thru the Oppo, so it took me awhile to get everything going last night, then the SW download took forever. Watched a little football off ESPN3 today, looks real good. I have to watch at least one FSU game each year on ESPN3, so now I can at least watch it on the plasma vs the laptop. PQ is nice too.

Put on Hunger Games on NF to check the quality. Looks pretty good. Now I put Hunger Games on Amazon Prime. Looks great there, too. Maybe a little better.

S~

Watched the Internship on the Xbox. Worked well. Just don't hit the trigger on the remote. Did that when I was setting it down. Oops.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)