X-Box S

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I hear the Panasonic will be out in September... Sorry the XBOX isn't going to do it for me unless I upgrade my AVR and I'm not going to do that.
For about the price of that Panasonic player, one could buy an Xbox One S plus a new AV receiver with Dolby Atmos, etc.
I am not saying that would be necessarily a better option, just putting things in perspective! ;)

Last edited:
My Home Theater is not a coffee table Home theater in a box system. A $300 AVR would never cut it. That is in perspective. I have the Samsung now because it is the first one out, and I won't be buying another until next year at the earliest if that. :)

Cool! Just to compare Amazon and Netflix- are all the UHD programs in Netflix UHD HDR capable or just a few like Amazon?

There is only a few I see that show HDR instead of UltraHD, like Marco Polo. It triggers HDR as soon as you launch the app though, so even a few episodes of Stranger Things seems to have some wild pop.

My Home Theater is not a coffee table Home theater in a box system. A $300 AVR would never cut it.
That's why I said that it's not necessarily the best option for everyone! :)
It wouldn't work for my Home Theater either. But for a secondary TV, or for someone on a budget, a $300 Xbox One S, bundled with, say, a $400 Denon, could make an excellent choice!

My main concern about the Panny, and we will see what happens, is their app performance SUCKED in the last few gens. Sony owned them here. I'll be curious to see if the apps work well on that $700 player.

As far as UHGD goes, Im finding myself more concerned with streaming service performance at this point.

I checked out some content (tv and movie) on the Microsoft movie and tv service. I watched an episode from Killjoys on Amazon and M$, and the M$ version did not show compression artifacts in scenes that I saw them on Amazon. Both also required different audio volume settings and it seemed like the M$ version sounded "cleaner". That is all subjective though, the compression artifacts are not.

I also grabbed a movie, and the PQ and audio AQ was very very good. Pretty impressed, I thought Vudu HDX and UHD was about the only good streaming movie service.

I'm finding I like this thing for other stuff too that I never thought of. 1080p youtube practice video's and interviews that are uploaded from coll football reporters. ESPN and other FSU radio shows they make online after they air live. I used to have to get home in the evening and stay tied to my laptop to watch and listen to this news during the season. I just fire up the Xbox, and then the browser or youtube app, and listen and watch away. Very cool.

Did not know about this until I caught up on BR.com

61Pwgq%2B8xeL._SL1300_.jpg

Just grabbed one. I like the controller actually, but this makes more sense.

I have been trying several devices, and I am going to stick with the S. Netflix app is still wonky but I can get 2160p Netflix from my Bolt. The S handles discs, Amazon, youtube, watchespn, etc... with ease and I love the interface. I actually like the Xbone interface better than the PS4 for sure.

So I went in today, unchecked HDR and fired up Netflix. It works just like any 4K non HDR device, you still get the UltraHD 5.1 versions of the program, just no HDR. Ill just leave HDR unchecked for now unless I am playing a UHD blu.

Cross post in case some of you dont read the other thread.

I did some testing today to try and get around the HDR issue with Netflix. When I unchecked HDR, it output 2160p Netflix just fine like a non HDR UHD device. Pretty easy fix for the time being.

Also tested with a UHD disc.

Left HDR off and put in Divergent Allegiant UHD.

bLTmXe.jpg

rcgy7u.jpg

So the S will play UHD discs back at 2160p with HDR off.

Might be moving back to the S. Since I cut the cord kinda been looking to consolidate devices, tired of having 4 different ones. Xbox S can cover optical, Netflix, Amazon and Sling TV for me in one spot...

Media remote def makes all the world using it with movies and Sling Tv.

Also, mine is now outputting Blu-ray at 4k/24 instead of 1080p, seems they fixed the app.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/12/dolby-atmos-xbox-windows-pc/

The Xbox One is finally getting bitstream audio for blu-rays including Dolby Atmos support. That should make some people who wanted to buy one as a cheap 4K blu-ray player happy.

I am in the preview program so I usually get Xbox software updates about a month early. I now have an option in the blu-ray settings to "let my receiver decode audio." I am watching Star Wars Episode IV right now (after watching Rogue One last night) and can confirm that my AVR is showing DTS-MA HD on its display.

I should also point out that I am using the original Xbox One, not the Xbox One S so early adopters are getting real bitstream support too.

Old thread, but is the Xbox One S still a good choice for a 4K player? Seems the current price of $250 is a no-brainer vs a Sony in the same price range.
Already have an S in my gaming room. Need a 4K player for my new 75X900E.

Old thread, but is the Xbox One S still a good choice for a 4K player? Seems the current price of $250 is a no-brainer vs a Sony in the same price range.
Already have an S in my gaming room. Need a 4K player for my new 75X900E.

I don't know how well it compares to other UHD blu-ray players but the Xbox One S and Xbox One X are plenty good enough for me. My only advice would be to look for deals. The 500GB model is frequently available for less than the standard price of $250 especially if you don't care whether it includes a bundled game. I grabbed one for $152 from Target during their Cyber Monday deals. That's the lowest price I've seen but they have been discounted to $189.99 several times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts