You can now control your PC from a Windows Phone

Why is this big news?

Android has been able to do this for a long time. That time is measured in years.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

This is actually great news for Windows Phone users. An essential app from Microsoft. Surprised it's been missing until now.
As I understand, there is still no LogMeIn or GoToMyPC for Windows Phone. There are some third-party RDP and VNC clients though.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Because it is a new feature for the platform, no matter how long others have had it.

Let's just admit that this is not a make or break app for the platform.

That ship has already sailed. This is going to be Ballmer's legacy for the company. He missed the next big thing badly.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Make or break app? No, I dont think anyone has said that it is.

Good news worthy of mention. Of course it is.

I just got a Lumia 520 Windows phone to play with (for testing and development purposes) and I really like the user interface so far. Easy to use and very intuitive. This particular Lumia model is not nearly as powerful as my iPhone 5, but then it costs a small fraction of what an iPhone costs: just $59 with no contract! In fact, I am amazed how powerful it is for such a bargain price.

The lack of some important apps, like Microsoft Remote Desktop is actually the main reason I personally haven't even considered switching to a Windows phone as my primary phone. The more of these apps become available, the more likely I will be to switch over.

Microsoft is now trying to unify Windows APIs between all flavors of Windows. Not quiet there yet, but 8.1 is a big step in that direction. The easier it will become for developers to write Universal apps (that work on all Windows platforms), the more apps will be supported on a Windows phone.

Why 2009?

I just got a Lumia 520 Windows phone to play with (for testing and development purposes) and I really like the user interface so far. Easy to use and very intuitive. This particular Lumia model is not nearly as powerful as my iPhone 5, but then it costs a small fraction of what an iPhone costs: just $59 with no contract! In fact, I am amazed how powerful it is for such a bargain price.

The lack of some important apps, like Microsoft Remote Desktop is actually the main reason I personally haven't even considered switching to a Windows phone as my primary phone. The more of these apps become available, the more likely I will be to switch over.

Microsoft is now trying to unify Windows APIs between all flavors of Windows. Not quiet there yet, but 8.1 is a big step in that direction. The easier it will become for developers to write Universal apps (that work on all Windows platforms), the more apps will be supported on a Windows phone.

Ive said over and over how impressed I have been with the UI, and it has gotten a little better with each update. I am running the developers preview of 8.1, and there are some nice additions in it. Sure, some of those things have been on android or iOS for a little while, but I have found that they like additions, like Cortana for instance, is actually better IMO than Siri or Google now.

For the apps, the store has made great strides each time ive come back to sample a windows phone. There are still some missing however. I do think that the univseral app plan will do wonders to fill those holes. Will it ever catch iOS or Android in the sheer number of apps? Nah, most likely not. However, numbers are just that. Ive found the vast majority of apps on all three platforms are fluff junk.

For now, I am using the Lumia Icon, which is as powerful as any smartphone available right now. I also have the new HTC one M8. I do a sim swap as the mood shifts, or as needs change. Were the windows device to get the one or two apps that I use on android however, id most likely stay with it full time.

How does this app compare to Team Viewer? I used to use Splashtop until they started charging. It worked great. Team Viewer works good too but is not as smooth on quality, lags some.

I haven't tried it yet. It requires 8.1 and I am still on 8.0

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I've downloaded it on my icon, but I've been on my other phone the last two days. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts