0% Signal on Even Transponders (in Canada)!

CanSatGuy

Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Really need some help here, the ExpressVU folks were not very helpful and want to charge me $75 for a service call.

My ExpressVU went down completely last Friday and when I went up on the roof to check things out, I discovered that something had chewed (!) through my cable running from the satellite to the receiver. This had happened a while ago I imagine, as the damaged part was all rusted out.

I went to a local Home Depot and bought two waterproof male connector things, and a small patch cable (rated for RG-6) with female connectors. I cut out the damaged piece, hooked up my new patch cable, and thought everything was fixed.

However, now my signal strength is fine (> 80% on SAT91, transponder 11), but I get 0% signal on any of the even transponders. I have a dual LBF (?) and SAT82 seems to be fine on both even and odd transponders.

I've checked all other connections, including the dual-LBF switch, and the connection to my receiver, but nothing seems out of place. I even disconnected the dual-LBF switch and hooked up the SAT91 LBF cable direct to the receiver cable, but same situation (> 80% on transponder 11, nothing on any even transponders).

Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to avoid a costly service charge from an ExpressVU installer!

Thanks,

-- Neil

Could be a bad LNB. When whatever chewed through it may have created a short circuit. A few things to try:

- Unplug the coax at the receiver. Do a check switch. Plug the coax again. Run another check switch.

- Swap out the 2 LNB's (82 and 91) See if the problem moves to the other satellite. If it does, you have a bad LNB. Find a good seller on eBay and buy a new one.

- Your test with connecting the 91 directly to the receiver, did you run a check switch with nothing hooked up, then another one once the LNB was connected?

Hope that helps.

Okay, lots of new results, none of which make any sense...

I went and bought 100' of RG6 and hooked it up (through the house this time) from the switch (SW21) at the satellite to the receiver (3100). Retested using check switch (alternating tests with no cable plugged in). The receiver reported that only one satellite (91) was found, and we had no problems viewing 91's channels (including the even transponders). Weird... so we retested. The 3100 then reported an unknown switch type, and no even transponders on 91. Multiple retests yielded similar bizarre results.

Then I remembered that when I upgraded to a second LNB, they sent me two SW21's. So, I dug out the other one that I never used (since I only have one receiver) and hooked that in. Similar results again, switching between only one satellite found, and both satellites (but no even transponders on 91 and unknown switch type).

So, then with the new switch, I plugged back in my old cable (with the patch to replace the chewed part) and ran the tests again. Now, I get the same alternating test results as with the new cable, so I'm figuring it's not my patched cable.

----

So, from the above, I deduce that it's unlikely a faulty cable, and unlikely a faulty LNB (since I can get both even and odd transponders when only one satellite is detected).

Lastly, I hook back up the new cable, run one more test, and tada, everything tests out okay! So, I switch back to the old cable (and don't run a retest), and now we get all the channels and lots of signal strength on both satellites and all transponders (min. 70%).

----

So, now that my problem is resolved (although without any known cause), I'm wondering if my 3100 receiver might be messed up. It's the only thing that didn't change in all of this. Any suggestions as to what might have been the problem? If it happens again, I really don't want to go through this all over again (especially if it happens in December).

-- Neil

It might have been something faulty with the 3100. I had that happen once before; not with my Bell hardware but my Dish 311 (which is pretty much the same as a 3100.) I used a RG59 cable when trying to aim a DP Twin LNB. I went through pretty much the same hoops as you did with a new cable, and then finally it started working again.

So, if we combine our results, it seems that if you have a bad cable at some point, the receiver takes a while to recover, but eventually spontanious electronic healing occurs. :rolleyes:

I suppose knock on wood that it doesn't happen again.

Even or odd 0%

You want to find out if its the Cable the IRD or the LNBF

With One IRD in your Home

First thing always check your IRD (receiver) swaping it with someone else who has a BEV if you find that its still not getting signal on the even or odds replace IRD $69 (2005) 1-888-sky-dish.

If it works then IRD is ok hook back up and swap the ports on the LNBF there are two ports on most. This can fix issue if still not working replace cable.

If you replace cable and still not working LNBF can be damaged (very seldom for both ports to be damaged) check LNBF with someone who has the dish if they let you take theres off or call Sky-dish and have it replaced for $75 if you get it replaced make sure you know if the LNBF is a D - shape our a Square - shape at the tip.

With more then one IRD in home

If you have two IRDs swap them out to see if it follows the IRD. If follows IRD replace IRD $69 1-888-sky-dish

Next step if still not getting even or odd transponders you can swap the ports on your LNBF if it is the cable it will stay in the same location if its your LNBF it will move to the other IRD or fix the problem. Replace LNBF if moves to other IRD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)