$1,000 for a DVR is ridiculous

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TivoFan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
$1,000 for a DVR is ridiculous.

Just called Directv to check when my contract expires so I can cancel and move on to cable. next month. can't wait.

Yes, it probably is. But I looked at it this way, a single D* and ATSC tuner D* HD box is $299. For the $1k (or $900 if you go to www.valueelectronics.com and tell them you're a member her) you get two D* and two ATSC tuners plus a 250GB harddrive. My original D* HD STB cost me $600! So while it is expensive I don't think it's over priced.

I just talked to Robert, and he gave me a great deal. I highly recommend anyone wanting the HD-tivo to call valueelctronics.com you will not be disapointed.

$600 is the most a current sub should pay for the HD DirecTivo. $849 online-$250 is credits from DirecTV=$600!
Its a great deal at that price. Try finding anything close to it on cable, good luck! All cable HD DVR's are crap and very basic. And no Tivo doesn't make an HD DVR for cable.

z71tahoe193 said:
I just talked to Robert, and he gave me a great deal. I highly recommend anyone wanting the HD-tivo to call valueelctronics.com you will not be disapointed.

Call Robert! Call Robert! Call Robert! Call Robert!

I would not spend that kind of money on one. I would wait until the price drops way back and for the product to get a bit better than it is right now.

agree, but don't jump

TivoFan said:
$1,000 for a DVR is ridiculous.

Just called Directv to check when my contract expires so I can cancel and move on to cable. next month. can't wait.

yea i agree 1000 bucks is a little steep for my wallot too. But don't make a jump to cable. Directv is a whole lot better than cable by a long shot. You never know, Directv could lower the price by half tomorrow.

For those reading this thread that still don't like paying 600 bucks please be aware that by the end of the year D* will have their multiroom HD DVR out as a rental with no upfront costs but whether that would be as good as a Tivo is yet to be seen but from what little I know about it it won't be close to as bad as a cable DVR is but that doesn't mean it will even match a Tivo but at least you have an idea of what to expect with it.

Also the rental should be somewhere between 10-20 per month but there aren't any DVR fees to pay so just rental fees and that fee would cover the server and upto three extra client boxes but you still pay the mirror fees as usual. It seems that 14.95/month is where it might hit but that is rumor until pricing is official of course.

I would bite in an instant with a rental at 14.95/month but others might not spend 20 a month even though I would in a second. Even at 20/month it would reach 600 bucks in 2 years 6 months and something might be newer and if not at least I know I won't get screwed. I also consider I won't be paying the 7.99/month protection plan anymore so I would save there. Now I think the 14.95/month is the sweet spot and at that price many will buy which means they will need to make more thus reducing their cost per unit.

How are you getting one for $600? I just got off the phone with D* and they offered me a $200 discount and 2 months reduced rate service (valued at $100) off the $999 price.

A bit better would be one with less bugs, MPEG-4 capable, HD tuner for both tv outputs (OTA HD tuner), larger hard drives for more HD video storage, other enhancements we have not seen yet such as solid state storage and/or smaller size and cheaper component pricing to make it more affordable. Additional tuners (and perhaps additional tv outputs for a all in one media center solution) so you would be less likely to have recording conflicts. Upgradable DVRS that will allow you to upgrade the hard drive, memory, processor, etc. There is a bit of advancement that can be done. The 942 will be only the second generation Dish HD DVR.

I just got off the phone with Direct and they offered me an HD Tivo for $799 and then $200 in credit toward my bill. So it would be $599. I took them up on it!

JerryVolunteer said:
I just got off the phone with Direct and they offered me an HD Tivo for $799 and then $200 in credit toward my bill. So it would be $599. I took them up on it!

Were you an existing customer, or a new customer? If a new customer, did you have to pay more for a dish with installation?

Thanks.

Sean Dudley

JerryVolunteer said:
The person I spoke with when I called DirecTV had no interest whatsoever in giving me a price reduction on the HD tivo. He wasn't very friendly at all.

Did I speak with the wrong person? Was he having a bad day?

LonghornXP said:
For those reading this thread that still don't like paying 600 bucks please be aware that by the end of the year D* will have their multiroom HD DVR out as a rental with no upfront costs but whether that would be as good as a Tivo is yet to be seen but from what little I know about it it won't be close to as bad as a cable DVR is but that doesn't mean it will even match a Tivo but at least you have an idea of what to expect with it.

Also the rental should be somewhere between 10-20 per month but there aren't any DVR fees to pay so just rental fees and that fee would cover the server and upto three extra client boxes but you still pay the mirror fees as usual. It seems that 14.95/month is where it might hit but that is rumor until pricing is official of course.

I would bite in an instant with a rental at 14.95/month but others might not spend 20 a month even though I would in a second. Even at 20/month it would reach 600 bucks in 2 years 6 months and something might be newer and if not at least I know I won't get screwed. I also consider I won't be paying the 7.99/month protection plan anymore so I would save there. Now I think the 14.95/month is the sweet spot and at that price many will buy which means they will need to make more thus reducing their cost per unit.

Wow How Did I miss this yesterday?!?!?

DirecTV is finally gonna pull through on rental equipment, sweet!!! As soon as they release this puppy, I'm theirs!

BFG said:
Wow How Did I miss this yesterday?!?!?

DirecTV is finally gonna pull through on rental equipment, sweet!!! As soon as they release this puppy, I'm theirs!

Also be aware that more than likely the NDS HD DVR (non multiroom) will also be a rental option but the multiroom HD DVR is a sure lock as of right now. Now the basic HD box will not be offered as a rental option for two reasons. First is they would make more money in the long run with a rental option and second customers with a DVR have shown lower churn rates. Also just for kicks the third benefit would be that they can do a swapout of hardware in the future when needed without having to flat out replace boxes and more than likely they can send all the old hardware back and get credits for them and have them upgraded to be offered later on to rental customers. There are many benefits to them but this is the first time that D* has felt they need to offere rentals to compete with HDTV. Also be aware that all other non HDTV hardware would still need to be bought upfront but rest assured that customers can have both bought and rental hardware on the same account without problems. For people who know about the rental trials in a few areas including the Tampa Bay Area you know what I'm talking about.

Status
Please reply by conversation.