$1,000 for a DVR is ridiculous

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jerry, I don't doubt you, but please double check as I am 100% sure DIRECTV only sell the HR10-250 for $999.99.

I understand some existing DIRECTV customers may be able to get the customer retention department to give them a programming credit to offset the cost of the HD-DVR, but combining the DIRECTV programming credit with a dealer who discounts the HR10-250 would be the best way to go.

-Robert

I believe he is reffering to the whole house solution D* announced in a conference call and at CES. Its not out yet. I wish they would rent the HDDVR they have now.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I understand some existing DIRECTV customers may be able to get the customer retention department to give them a programming credit to offset the cost of the HD-DVR, but combining the DIRECTV programming credit with a dealer who discounts the HR10-250 would be the best way to go.

-Robert

That's I did! Thank you Robert. :)

BFG said:
Oh how do I get in on a rental trial :D

The rental trials were for a very few specific markets and aren't going on anymore so the only rental option you will have will be for the HD DVR and multiroom HD DVR later this year but for now your SOOL.

In a few months D* will be giving more information as far as upgrading customers and I expect that by around July we all will have more specific information about pricing and features for their upcoming products including release timeframes and I also have been hearing that beta trials might very well occur for several months before the multiroom HD DVR release so stay tuned for that if they decide to go this route.

The HD Tivo is definetly worth the $1000 price point. Wait and it will come down in price, like all other electronics. But in the meantime you lose out of Tivoing shows in HD. I've had mine for almost 1 year and love it.

You better make sure that the HD DVR you buy is mpeg 4 compatible before spending a $1000. Most HD boxes will have to be replace when mpeg 4 comes out late this year.

rowemance said:
You better make sure that the HD DVR you buy is mpeg 4 compatible before spending a $1000. Most HD boxes will have to be replace when mpeg 4 comes out late this year.

It's not MPEG4 upgradable but the general word is that D* will do a replacement for either free or a very small fee, when the time comes that you need one. Except for the 12 cities that D*'s announces for LIL over DBS there is no other announced need to MPEG4 at this time.

MPEG-4 will be available in the first 12 markets by July '05, however, DIRECTV will simulcast MPEG-2 for one to two additional years. Even better, DIRECTV will be upgrading all HD customers to MPEG-4.

The next 12 markets will have MPEG-4 HD sometime in 2007.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
The next 12 markets will have MPEG-4 HD sometime in 2007.

-Robert

What the heck, 2007 for the next batch of LIL? I thought that there was to be more done this year and a bunch more when Spaceway 2 goes up, 2007 was for more national HD channels. Are you sure???

Most eBay sales are bid up to $700. and higher, most do not have extended warranties and DIRECTV will not cover any used HR10-250, unless you take the DIRECTV $7.99/per month protection plan and many extended warranties are not transferable.

Buyer beware, saving $100. to $150. on a very expensive HD DVR may not be worth the grief. Especially if you consider the small savings against the value of getting a factory fresh HD DVR, with the updated HDMI hardware fix, all cables and accessories, a virgin DIRECTV access card, free shipping and our 5 yr extended warranty.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Jerry, I don't doubt you, but please double check as I am 100% sure DIRECTV only sell the HR10-250 for $999.99.

-Robert

Yeap, I received it yesterday and it is working great. I put the price of the unit on my credit card. I finally have an HD-DVR and love it.

Jerry, would you be willing to post a copy of the receipt or your credit card statement, of course, with your account # blanked out?

I would love to watch my DIRECTV rep eat it.

The best deal SatelliteGuys members get is $849., free shipping, no tax, 5 yr. warranty and a HD DVR T-shirt included.

-Robert

At 12 HD locals to be rolled out a year it would take a dozen years before they get 2/3's the local markets. They will have to advance faster than this as well as Dish Network. I do not think that adding HD locals this soon will impact sales that much yet seeing how most people still have analog televisions.

Stargazer said:
At 12 HD locals to be rolled out a year it would take a dozen years before they get 2/3's the local markets. They will have to advance faster than this as well as Dish Network. I do not think that adding HD locals this soon will impact sales that much yet seeing how most people still have analog televisions.

I think your wrong on all points. Firstly just the first satellite can handle at least the top 35 markets HD locals with the second satellite it could very well all over 500 total HD local channels to be offered and this would all occur in less than one year.

Also be aware that of 8 million HDTV in homes today about half of them don't get any HD programming from cable or DBS and as such D* still has a market of 4 million HD customers today with more coming in rapid speed. Also it won't take a dozen years because D* will have room to carry all HD local channels in the country around 2007 and what is funny about this is that D* would have offered more HD local channels than they do SD local channels and would have done so in about 5+ years quicker.

The point is they will be very well set in the future and now.

Also be aware that D* via MPEG4 and current satellites can offer the big 4 in all 12 markets which is why they announced those markets. They aren't announcing more markets until the first spaceway satellite is up and working and once that happens they can carry at least the top 35 markets HD locals if not more but just remember that D* can't announce that they will offer the top 12 markets this summer unless they have a backup in case spaceway 1 doesn't go well. That is one big reason why we don't see ESPN2 HD and TNT HD right now.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
MPEG-4 will be available in the first 12 markets by July '05,
-Robert
What are these 12 markets? Please tell me it includes my area! :D

TivoFan said:
What are these 12 markets? Please tell me it includes my area! :D

The first group of DMAs to receive local HD channels is: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Detroit, Houston and Tampa. These markets represent nearly 36 million homes or 32.8 percent of all U.S. TV households. Additional markets to receive local HD programming this year will be announced at a later date. Today, DIRECTV offers local channels in standard definition in 130 markets, including these 12 markets.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)