1/11 Retailer Chat Recap

If DirecTv is offering new subscribers free HD receivers then Dish is about to lose some subscribers. Dish is offering the same though so it could go both ways. Nobody is offering free HD DVR's yet though to my knowledge.

Yes, let me see I have two leased 811's. I have three choices :
1. I can upgrade one now for a 211 at $ 49, and wait an entire year to upgrade my second 811.
2. I can upgrade one 811 now for $ 49 and buy a second 211 for a whopping $ 369.
3. I can sign up for DirecTV get two H20's for free and pay $ 5 a month leasing.
I wonder which one I might choose. Echostar thinks they have us by offering more HD now, and that may be true. However, DirecTV will catch up within a year, and in fact, maybe pass Dish Networks HD offerings. By not upgrading all of our HD receivers they are totally disrepcting their HD customers, and a lot us may switch to DirecTV. I may lead the parade.

oldbob said:
Hey guys
Remember, all of the HD we care about will be over the first week in Feb (Superbowl). For those who are interested in the Olympics that will be over by March. Then, there's nothing compelling until late summer. So, chill out, there's plenty of time to let the dust settle.
To reiterate: there won't be anything interesting on ESPN2 until September. Who cares about the 5 VOOM channels that they are adding. I realize that a couple of you are coming unglued by the FOOD Channel and HGTV, but I'll keep my guy card and pass. We have lots of time to figure out what's going to happen and what it's going to cost. This is good timing on Dish's part. Suppose they had set the changeover for Dec 15th, 05?

NBA playoffs are of some interest. That' not until April. So is the college basketball conference championships, and yes even the Womens NCAA tourney on ESPN(ESPN2)HD will be of some interest to a few.

Tom Bombadil said:
There are hints that the HD Pak will still be available "a la cart" so to speak, without an AT requirement. But nothing firm either way that I've seen.

There are also indications that a lower tier than AT60, a Family Tier, may be made available at $19.99 w/o locals. I suspect so that E* can advertise that they have an under $20 option.
I have the HD pack 'a la cart' right now and I do want to upgrade, but I have a feeling that dish won't lease me a HD receiver without upgrading to a package. But....I feel that I am an "excisting customer"....and deserve the option to upgrade to the lease. I'm not asking for something for nothing. I would hand over my 811 which I own, for a receiver that I don't. If they wanted I would commit to a 2 yr deal.....I have no problem with that. I just want to watch my HD.

I've begun resigning myself to wait this one out a bit. I heard what Charlie and team said about multiple MPEG-4 upgrades getting the big 'yes', then all this contradictory flak from the Retailer Chat--it all seems like different internal teams playing CYA (yeah, that's 'cover your a**') until the supply of new hardware is reasonable for large scale implementation and the real MPEG-4 transmission kinks are worked out.

How long am I going to be waiting, I wonder? How many here are willing to wait that long, I wonder as well...? The one thing that'd be really nice is to get some direct statement from E* to address all this confusion and help those of us wanting the most from their service feel better about the situation.

Broncosaurs said:
After being with D* for 9 years, how long would I have to be not with them until I would be considered a new customer?

Since this is a Dish Network I assume that you are talking about E* (just FYI, the abbreviation for Dish is E* and the abbreviation for Direct is D*). The answer to your question is tough. Some say that you can never get the new customer deals. That being said, many people have cancelled and then signed up under a different name and phone number the next day. I think this one kinda falls under being a little lucky on the CSR that you get.

Lakebum, thanks for the E*, D* info. Can I ask why?

I would think there must be a time line for being a new customer. But the way they have been treating me the last few weeks, maybe not. What if I go through an installer with new equiptment?

If you attempt to re-sub under the same name and address, it can take years to requalify as new, if ever.

As to the D* vs E* thing. Well, both DirecTV and Dish are D's. But Dish is also Echostar, so the easiest solution is D* for Direct, E* for Echostar/Dish.

D* has never been universally accepted. On newsgroups there are still little battles over this. As kb mentioned, the "*" is the "Star" And it was definitely A* (Alpha"Star") though it didn't last long. P* as Prime "star" and E* Echo"Star" (The owner of Dish Network).
What happened is DirecTV subscribers wanted to use an abbreviation for their service after the demise of DSS. Remember that DirecTV and the partner company USSB used to be called "DSS". After DirecTV/USSB lost a trademark infringement suit, the DSS was dropped. So everyone was looking for a new abbreviation. So DTV was used for a bit but too much confusion with Digital TV made it clumsy. The the D* started to show up. The arguments on the newsgroups about this usage were epic and sometimes hilarious! But as more and more newbies kept coming into the newsgroups and these boards, it stuck. And now the D* gets confused with Dish Network even though Dish Network has always been E* for Echostar.
I hope that is clear as mud. :) Do a google groups search on this subject if you want a good laugh.
See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)