1/11 Retailer Chat Recap

HD only subscription

jsanders said:
The answer is, "yes!". I yelled at some manager of CSRs for about an hour this morning about this stuff. He understood very well that MPEG-4 receivers will be the only ones that can be activated for HD after Feb. 1st, but he kept telling me that I could sell my 942 to someone that could use it for SD. Then I asked, him, "Would you buy it then?" He replied, "No."
To make a long story short, my upgrade strategy requires me to temporarily cancel my subscription to E*. I asked if I would be able to buy just the HD Pack + Voom + locals (for guide data) like I have now if I decide to renew service in the future. He said I would still be able to do that, provided I didn't sign any leases, and that this option would always be available.
Please clarify. I understand that current HD only subs with MPEG2 boxes will be able to continue as is. I am wondering if someone that BUYS a MPEG4 box will be able to subscribe just to the new HD package at ~$20, or just that plus HD locals for ~$25. Can anyone confirm whether that will be the case?

randykimj said:
Please clarify. I understand that current HD only subs with MPEG2 boxes will be able to continue as is. I am wondering if someone that BUYS a MPEG4 box will be able to subscribe just to the new HD package at ~$20, or just that plus HD locals for ~$25. Can anyone confirm whether that will be the case?

If things continue as they are now then yes I would expect you would be able to. Correct me if I am wrong, but under the current rules you are not required to sub to an AT pack in order to sub to locals, supers, HD, or movies - currently you just pay a $5/mo activation fee if you don't want an AT pack. With the new $20/mo Family Pack coming out I suspect they are planning on changing this. Throw in the $6 extra receiver fee for HD and $5.98 DVR fee and E* is starting to look like the most expensive game in town. They are really trying to increase their average revenue per subscriber and I guess I can't blame them for that. They just shouldn't expect everyone to just sit back and take it though. The so-called "value oriented" (read "cheap") subscribers will be the first to leave.

dlsnyder said:
If things continue as they are now then yes I would expect you would be able to. Correct me if I am wrong, but under the current rules you are not required to sub to an AT pack in order to sub to locals, supers, HD, or movies - currently you just pay a $5/mo activation fee if you don't want an AT pack. With the new $20/mo Family Pack coming out I suspect they are planning on changing this. Throw in the $6 extra receiver fee for HD and $5.98 DVR fee and E* is starting to look like the most expensive game in town. They are really trying to increase their average revenue per subscriber and I guess I can't blame them for that. They just shouldn't expect everyone to just sit back and take it though. The so-called "value oriented" (read "cheap") subscribers will be the first to leave.

so if the goal is to increase their avg revenue per sub, then losing the "v.o." subs would actually be a good thing for them...

however, I doubt that many HD subs fit into this profile... and these are the people most likely to be disgruntled by the latest scheme.

If you want only the HD pack for $19.99 and don't want anything else (maybe leasing a 622 so throw in the $5.98 DVR fee) then you are a value oriented customer. If you have AEP, locals, HD, a couple of DVRs, and maybe an International Pack, then you are the kind of sub they want to keep.

dlsnyder said:
If you want only the HD pack for $19.99 and don't want anything else (maybe leasing a 622 so throw in the $5.98 DVR fee) then you are a value oriented customer. If you have AEP, locals, HD, a couple of DVRs, and maybe an International Pack, then you are the kind of sub they want to keep.
by your definition (excepting the international pack) i am the 'kind of sub they want to keep'... and if i didn't have a better alternative, i would grumble about it, but end up paying up and sticking around. in some areas cable *might* actually now be that better alternative... but i now have a brand new fiber optic cable running behind my house. i was waiting to see what E* was going to do with the whole mpeg4 / new HD's deal, and now that i have found out all I can say is "goodbye dish, hello fios".

spokanellama said:
I already own a 921. Does anybody know if the 622 actually works?

Well from other things that have posted in this forum, no.

You are echoing my thoughts exactly. I have a 942 and am pretty happy with it (except for the fact that it won't receive MPEG4/2 - I was looking forward to a couple of those new channels) but I hate to trade it in for a 921 replacement. I am leasing and I paid $250 in late November for this thing but I don't want to miss out on the $99 deal either.

Why did anyone buy 942's in the last few months, were you not members here? It seemed pretty obvious that you should wait since september or so. I know there was hope that you could swap for free but most people were quick to point out that free swaps isn't how E* works..ever...

The 99 dollar deal STARTS in april, and as a new customer you're probably last on the "priority" list to get upgraded, so just hold onto it as long as you can and enjoy it. $250 isn't the end of the world when you realize your total cost will be $349 for a box you'll have for the next 3 years or so...until it's obsolete or breaks...

...ok...2 years or so...

Lol, you guys are making me even more grateful that I never bought into those expensive HD receivers. They got me for a $549 721 as my most expensive purchase but it's been a great receiver. There are a few issues with it such as the channel 0 that I wish they would fix.

I went back to Dish after VOOM was turned off. I got the $299 lease on the 942. Been reasonably happy with it, save for a few annoying bugs that they've mostly worked out now. They still need to work on the fact that some of the software seems to forget the ATSC tuner is independent from SatTuner1 ;). So I guess I've had the receiver somewhere around 7-8 months. So if I go to the ViP622 in April when I can do so for $99 that would bring my total monthly lease fee for the 942 to around $25. By the end of my second year, assuming I pay the $99 to upgrade to the ViP622, my monthly lease fee would come to $16.58. Of course my standard montly bill will increase too since I don't currently subscribe to the VOOM channels on Dish... I wonder how long I can hide that fact from my wife... ;)

Dish had better be careful here. They are making decisions in their own interests, rather than that of their customers.

The whole scenario is rather unbelievable.
- My top tier of my customer base is my HD base, specifically those with HD DVRs.
- Let's announce new HD channels, but deny that base from receiving them.
- Furthermore, let's make this an arbitary decision, wherein their equipment is capable of working, but we will make it so that it cannot get the new channels.
- Let's do this even though we don't have enough receivers to meet demand.
- Then let's make it so that they will have to wait months to upgrade, even though they are willing to pay. And if they have multiple DVRs, then we will make them wait over a year to complete their upgrade.

I don't know how an entire executive tier could buy off on this. You'd think that if one of them presented this idea to a ruling board, that they would give him the evil eye and take away his keys to the executive restroom.

Usually when you shaft your customers in order to meet a corporate need, there is a heavy price to pay on customer retention.

I keep thinking that they will come to their senses soon and announce a delay in the rollout of MPEG4 and so everyone will be able to receive the new channels until some specified future date, say 6/1.

Last edited:
Also let me add that DirecTV is going to all leasing after 3/1 that means we can go to DirecTV by just paying the $ 5 a month mirroring fee as a lease fee for a regular HD receiver. No money down. I think they are charging something for an HD-DVR. This gives us another option if Dish gets too tough with us HD customers. I hate the fact that they are only letting us upgrade one receiver a year. That is a joke. You better watch out Dish, I have options.

Prediction

Tom Bombadil said:
Dish had better be careful here. They are making decisions in their own interests, rather than that of their customers.

The whole scenario is rather unbelievable.
- My top tier of my customer base is my HD base, specifically those with HD DVRs.
- Let's announce new HD channels, but deny that base from receiving them.
- Furthermore, let's make this an arbitary decision, wherein their equipment is capable of working, but we will make it so that it cannot get the new channels.
- Let's do this even though we don't have enough receivers to meet demand.
- Then let's make it so that they will have to wait months to upgrade, even though they are willing to pay. And if they have multiple DVRs, then we will make them wait over a year to complete their upgrade.

I don't know how an entire executive tier could buy off on this. You'd think that if one of them presented this idea to a ruling board, that they would give him the evil eye and take away his keys to the executive restroom.

Usually when you shaft your customers in order to meet a corporate need, there is a heavy price to pay on customer retention.

I keep thinking that they will come to their senses soon and announce a delay in the rollout of MPEG4 and so everyone will be able to receive the new channels until some specified future date, say 6/1.

I completely agree with this post. My prediction is that E* will regain sanity and let all of us watch the new HD channels (except possibly the HD locals) until about June 1 when many of us will have been able to upgrade to MPEG4 receivers. I have been reading recent posts that say E* is still sending new customers 811's and 942's. This would be unethical if they really are changing over to the situation on Feb. 1st that all the new HD channels will require MPEG4 capable receivers unless they are given a free immediate upgrade. I have been waiting for a HD DVR for about 3 years. Would have obtained a 942 except for the impending MPEG4. I am pleased with the $299 upfront existing customer lease offer the VIP622 and intend to obtain one ASAP, hopefully in early Feb. If E* really does what they have announced, we should really wonder about the future of E* with these types of irrational management decisions. If they carry through with announced plan, all of their competitors should be all smiles.

I don't think I've read a firm answer yet on wether or not an AT package is required for the new HD pack but I suspect that it is. For one I read somewhere that they are creating new Latino packs that include HD but the other is they probably had to re-negotiate with ESPN to carry ESPN2HD and I wouldn't be surprised if they are no longer allowed to sell ESPNHD without the SD version.

There are hints that the HD Pak will still be available "a la cart" so to speak, without an AT requirement. But nothing firm either way that I've seen.

There are also indications that a lower tier than AT60, a Family Tier, may be made available at $19.99 w/o locals. I suspect so that E* can advertise that they have an under $20 option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)