1.2 dish conversion for motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cruzin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
michigan
Hello, hoping for suggestions. I have a spare 1.2 dish (see photo) I think that I can unbolt the mount and turn it upside down and either sleeve the pole or cut of the 2 1/2 pole bracket and weld in what ever is required for a dg380 motor. The dish weighs in at 36 lbs without a lnb. It fits on a 2 1/2 pole now. If I flip the mount upside down the motor can fit down into the mount. It as been my problem with trying to motorize this dish. As you would have to have a motor with the tube that goes up not down. The photo with the dishes shows the one I use daily for over 3 years now. I modified the lnb holder to fit the 40 larger neck lnb to fit snug down for a good focal point. If anyone has any suggestion please feel free. thanks

Attachments

• 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 232
Prodelin 1.2?

That looks to be a 1.2 meter Prodelin dish.
I suggested the same DG380 motor in this other thread by Phlatwound.
And was shot down due to exceeding the weight limits of the motor.

On a more positive note, I'd consider building a mount from scratch, out of aluminum.
Does that sound reasonable?

Upon closer observation, I see your LNB is held by 3 light weight rods, not the monster arm under the dish I've see on other Prodelins.
This helps reduce overall weight, and may be of considerable help.
Also, you might consider refitting with your own aluminum versions...?

That looks to be a 1.2 meter Prodelin dish.
I suggested the same DG380 motor in this other thread by Phlatwound.
And was shot down due to exceeding the weight limits of the motor.

On a more positive note, I'd consider building a mount from scratch, out of aluminum.
Does that sound reasonable?

Upon closer observation, I see your LNB is held by 3 light weight rods, not the monster arm under the dish I've see on other Prodelins.
This helps reduce overall weight, and may be of considerable help.
Also, you might consider refitting with your own aluminum versions...?

very good suggestions. After making the post I went to Sadoun site to double check weight and found it will max out at 31 lbs. I thought it was 38 or maybe that was the stab120. I guess it was. I could almost get a whole new system for the price of the stab.
Yes I just may make a new bracket, I thought about triming down some of the webbing on the backside of the dish and making a new mount. I will take off the bracket and weigh the dish alone. I think I can duplicate almost the same mount in alum. The lnb arms do not weigh to much but all helps. If I do make a new bracket I will make it so I do not have to flip it.
The bracket I took the picture of is all rusted up and the elev bolt and nuts are rusted in place. I have had oil on them for a week now without a budge on the long nut. My other dish is like new one the bracket. I do not know the manufacture of these dishes for muzak, I get them free when we buy out a store before it gets demo. I do have another steel dish I could use. it is a directway satellite internet dish. It has a monster bracket on it also and a very heavy looking square tube lnb arm. I will come up with something.

Cruzin

You might be ok with the DG380. Even though the weight limit is specified at 31lbs, I have seen move dishes that the HH120 couldn't.

I would really like to motorize one of the dishes. In a few days when I get some free time I am going to remove the mount (4 bolts) and weigh it all again. I sure hate to buy a dish when I get ones like this free. thanks. are you going to the Dayton ham swap? thanks
Cruzin

You might be ok with the DG380. Even though the weight limit is specified at 31lbs, I have seen move dishes that the HH120 couldn't.

mount

I went out today and pulled the mount off my dish and it weighs in at 9-10 lbs. I do not only have bathroom scales but it seemed to bounce right at 10 lbs. So that means that my dish weighs in at 26 lbs without a mount. So if I can build a mount that weighs in around 4-5 lbs I will be within the weight for the mover. And these mounts will fit upside down as the bolt holes fit either way and I also think you can flip it 90* to get a dish that is wider than tall. See attached picture.

Attachments

• 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 189
In addition to what TurboSat said, I'd point you to the extruded aluminum at your local hardware store.
Should be able to come up with pretty light material to work with.
If you need additional mechanical ideas, there are a couple of very old threads on mounting Primestar dishes to SG2100 motors.

Now, as to the dish, it has only one orientation to mount it.
There should be some marking to signify which side is up.
You cannot turn it 90 degrees, either.
Its parabolic shape is only made to work one way.

I know which side is up. I got these off a roof of a store in working condition. The arms of the lnb holder are on the bottom. I just need the mounting bracket upside down so a motors are will go down into the antenna because the way they are now you have to put a pole up into the mount. And most motors go down into the antenna.
In addition to what TurboSat said, I'd point you to the extruded aluminum at your local hardware store.
Should be able to come up with pretty light material to work with.
If you need additional mechanical ideas, there are a couple of very old threads on mounting Primestar dishes to SG2100 motors.

Now, as to the dish, it has only one orientation to mount it.
There should be some marking to signify which side is up.
You cannot turn it 90 degrees, either.
Its parabolic shape is only made to work one way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)