1.2 M Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Remington

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Gatineau, Qc.
I just ordered a Fortec 1.2M dish.

How many of you use a motor with a 120cm dish? I read that it is the limit for most of them. I think the best option is the Stab HH120. Anyone use the DMS SG-2100?

We often sell the combination of the GS120 HH motor with the optional 55mm post for use with the GEOSATpro 1.2M dish. While this combination is fine for most installations, we would suggest the STAB HH120 if installing in higher wind areas. If you are in a protected area that receives only occasional gail force winds, these medium duty motors are fine if using the larger post.

I just got the "GS120 HH motor with the optional 55mm post and the GEOSATpro 1.2M dish" from SatelliteAV last week and it seems to work well, I also purchase a combo C-Ku LNB and I like the few C-Band channels I now receive.

I used to use a 36" dish on the SG2100 and the motor started to go bad after two years, I used the SG2100 with the 1.2M dish for about four days and then it could not pull the dish back up after visiting my lower satellites but that is probably due to the previous wear on the motor with the 36" dish.

I belive that the SG2100 and the GS120 are the same motor but it is an OEM part and GEOSAT has put its name on the GS120. They both look the same; the buttons, LED, and reset hole are in the exact same positions.

The reason I went with the GS120 this time is because I read somewhere that it would move the GEOSATpro 1.2M dish and I was able to purchase it from the same place I bought the dish from (SatelliteAV). I also like the ability to reset the motor with a pin on the GS120, the Stab HH120 I have read that you have to open the motor to reset the 0 position (Could void the three year warranty?). I reset my 0 position to 91 degrees west even though my true south should be around 118 - 119 west , I do this so that I can use USALS to track all visible satellites from my location.

The Stab HH120 has metal gears and is rated for a 37.5 lbs dish, the SG2100 and I am guessing the same is for the GS120 have Nylon gears and is rated for a 33 lbs dish.

The Stab HH120 has a maximum speed of 0.7°/s and the SG2100 & GS120
have a maximum speed of 2.5 ?/s.

The Stab HH120 has a Rotation angle of ±62° and the SG2100 & GS120 has a Rotation angle of ±70°.

Fortec 1.2 dish suggestion.

You might want to at least get the links from post #4 of this thread.
They have to do with a member modifying that very dish for easier vertical trimming.
Making the mod ahead of time, would be easier than retrofitting it.

And after looking at both Fortec and GeoSatPro 1.2's, I think I'd buy the latter,... if I couldn't find a PrimeStar somewhere.
Check pictures below of their mount.

And a kick in the shins to SatAv for not having these pictures and the PDF manual on his web site. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• geosat_120cm_mount_1.jpg
    geosat_120cm_mount_1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 160
  • geosat_120cm_mount_2.jpg
    geosat_120cm_mount_2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 160
I stand corrected

Well, when you're right, you -are- right! :eek:

Maybe it was the 90cm mount pix I was looking for...
Or maybe it was PDFs for all the dishes...

I remember trying to look up their 2.4 m dish, and not finding much on it, either.
I'm pretty sure if they sold a 1.8 m as nice as their 2.4 m, I'd have trouble resisting it. :)

Guess I should've checked my facts before flying off at the handle. :cool:

I've used a Fortec 1.2Meter with an HH120. Works reliably. The elevation adjustment on the dish leaves a lot to be desired though. It does clamp onto the HH120 just fine.

Go with the HH120. It can be tricky at times, but its well built to handle that size and weight. If you want a disqec motor for a 120, get that one

I just got the "GS120 HH motor with the optional 55mm post and the GEOSATpro 1.2M dish" from SatelliteAV last week and it seems to work well, I also purchase a combo C-Ku LNB and I like the few C-Band channels I now receive.

Did you have to get a different arm? or are you using the KU type?

What c band channels are you pulling in? How the quality?

thanks

I purchased the "C-Band LNB Mount for a 1.2 or 1.8 Meter Offset Dish!" from SatelliteAV (http://satelliteav.com/shop/item/AC-CBAND+ADAPT). With the combined LNB the Ku band reception was horrible, worst than my 36" dish, so I put a universal Ku band LNB in the center of my 1.2 meter dish and I mounted the combined lnb to the right with a few metal bars and tie wraps. (Temporary setup until I can find something better than tie wraps)

For most C-Band transponders on my Pansat 3500 the signal quality ranges from as low as 15 to as high as 75. Most transponders I receive average between 30 - 60. There are a few transponders that try to come in but can't and those are around 10 - 15. Keep in mind that I am using a normal scaler ring meant for a prime focus dish, so my signal might improve with a conical scaler ring, I can't find a place to buy a conical scaler ring meant for an offset dish right now.

I can't talk about the specific channels I can receive but I can pick up some foreign channels, some US, and some of the stronger wild feeds. My main problem is since it is a smaller dish I get interference from adjacent satellites and since I don't have the conical scaler ring I believe that I am picking up some terrestrial interference too.

I purchased the "C-Band LNB Mount for a 1.2 or 1.8 Meter Offset Dish!" from SatelliteAV (http://satelliteav.com/shop/item/AC-CBAND+ADAPT). With the combined LNB the Ku band reception was horrible, worst than my 36" dish, so I put a universal Ku band LNB in the center of my 1.2 meter dish and I mounted the combined lnb to the right with a few metal bars and tie wraps. (Temporary setup until I can find something better than tie wraps)

For most C-Band transponders on my Pansat 3500 the signal quality ranges from as low as 15 to as high as 75. Most transponders I receive average between 30 - 60. There are a few transponders that try to come in but can't and those are around 10 - 15. Keep in mind that I am using a normal scaler ring meant for a prime focus dish, so my signal might improve with a conical scaler ring, I can't find a place to buy a conical scaler ring meant for an offset dish right now.

I can't talk about the specific channels I can receive but I can pick up some foreign channels, some US, and some of the stronger wild feeds. My main problem is since it is a smaller dish I get interference from adjacent satellites and since I don't have the conical scaler ring I believe that I am picking up some terrestrial interference too.

My advice is to use one dish for Ku & one for C Band . Optimize each for its own LNB / LNBF .

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts