1.2 meter CM / lnbf questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I have been playing with my 1.2 meter channel master and have reached the conclusion that the LNB leaves something to be desired, mainly the capability to recieve horizontal polarity. I receive no signal at all on the h side, and so far have only been able to hit real strong DBS signals on the v side.

I have found 119,110,91,82 with no problems at all (with original lnbf), sq around 30-50% on all of them. When i put a circular LNBF on the dish sq on those birds pegged.

So far tho, zip for FTA stuff, even on real strong TP's like amc 4 11708 (fox). I even pulled off the feedhorn to see if some joker had stuck a circular polarity plate in there, so such luck tho. I dont have a standard KU LNBF for testing sitting around right now, the only one i have is currently at a friends house on my 76cm dish.

I guess i should buy a new LNBF for this dish. I thought that i had read Sadoun had a LNBF holder for standard lnbfs designed for the 1.2 meter CM dishs, but looking thru the website i was unable to find one. I tried searching thru the archives here to no avail.

Does anyone know where i can lay hands on such a holder? And what do you recommend for a LNBF for this dish? I dont want to used the invacom flanged LNB that mounts to the CM feedhorn, as from what i have read these are all universal LNBs.

Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
Remember you can use a Universal as a standard by setting the L.O. to 10600 and 22Khz tone ON! But you may have a 22Khz switch, if so you would be best with a Standard LNBF!

I plan on using 22 khz switches in the near future, so that means no universal lnbf's for me :(

Thomas,

I just bought an Invacom QPF-031 and I believe it is a standad LNB on the linear side. I'm putting it on my 26x36 P* with the P* feedhorn.

I've also got a C120 waveguide that separates the H/V to two seperate WR75 flange LNBs.

I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Hi Shawn,
I thought about the qpf-031, but I didnt realize that lnbf was a standard on the linear side. The bummer is I have no use for the circular side. I intend on using this dish for g10 only, I am getting tired of the low signal on 11720 that i am getting off of my other p* dish after the signal goes thru 2 switches.

drhydro said:
Hi Shawn,
I thought about the qpf-031, but I didnt realize that lnbf was a standard on the linear side. The bummer is I have no use for the circular side. I intend on using this dish for g10 only, I am getting tired of the low signal on 11720 that i am getting off of my other p* dish after the signal goes thru 2 switches.
Well I'll tell you what... when I'm done playing, and if the QPF works out alright (I didn't really need it either) I'll send you the waveguide / LNBs if you'd like.

pic:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=10119&d=1152565432

Last edited:
Wow, thanks Shawn, very much appreciated. I will be interested in seeing your results in comparison testing between the two setups. If i am correct that waveguide will bolt up to any p* feedhorn? way cool..........

You'll love the QPH031, Shawn. I wish I would have bought this upgrade from the beginning. Very nice LNB.

The QPF-031 came today. It's much lighter than I was expecting!

It's certainly much lighter that the original waveguide on this 75e dish was with the transmitter and all attached.

I sunk a 2 3/8" pole last night and if I'm convinced the pole is solid and true I'll get the motor back up on it tonight.

I wish I had a 1.2M to try 'em both on too.

As far as I know the C120 is kind of universal. Here are some pics of it while I was re-arranging it (I've since taken off the filter, as you'll see in pic 3):

Attachments

• FeedH002.jpg
    FeedH002.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 296
  • FeedH003.jpg
    FeedH003.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 465
  • CALNB003.jpg
    CALNB003.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 315
THat waveguide seems like a heck of a contraption.
I have used the QPH031 on my 120cm dish (and will again) it is an exxellent LNBF.
I got more channels then with the universal.Also on the circular side you can pick up some nice music.
Reinhold.

I got the dish pointed tonight and all I have to say is 'wow' to that QPH.

Once I've got things a little more nailed down I'll swap the waveguide back on for comparison's sake :).

Wow, you should be able to do well with a 1.2M and any reasonable lnbf. My set up is a 1M CM now using a kul2 (have had several lnbf's in the .3 to .4 range and they all do well). Current quality reading using Traxis 3500 on 11720 g10r is 74 and can't remember it ever being under 70.

SD

Well Thomas, I have some good news. That Waveguide with a 'no name' 0.8 LNB on Horizontal and a CalAmp 0.7 LNB on Vertical I was able to get quality numbers withing two quality points of the QPF.

On Vertical I saw a 2 point quality increase with the QPF and the Horizontal was dead even.

I don't think this is a bad thing for either of the setups. The LNB / Waveguide is the professional / high end setup. It would cost two to three times to build than you'd spend on the Invacom. In addition, the higher noise floor might actually be a benefit with your larger dish.

The big suprise for me is that what 'looked' like would be vertical was actually horizontal and vice versa. Looking straight down the waveguide from the C120 flange you see a vertical standing rectangular passage for the signal to go through, yet this is the horizontal LNB.

PM me your address and I'll send you the Waveguide / LNBS if you want to use it. The only thing you need is the feedhorn and the little c-shaped clamp pieces to attach the flange to your feedhorn.

Well I hooked up the waveguide with lnbs today to my p* feedhorn (Thanks Shawn95gt). I then aimed for g10 and was able to pick it up fairly quickly. After peaking I am getting a SQ of around 65-70 (on the fortec mercury) for g10 11720v. I think my house might be blocking part of the signal tho.

What are other folks out there with 1.2 meter dishs getting for sq on g10 11720v?

I'm getting 58-60 SQ on a Fortec 1.2m dish, using a Pansat 3500s receiver. Going through a diseqc switch and a USALS HH120 motor, with an Invacom QPH 031 lnbf.

Al

Thanks Al,
So it looks like the numbers I am seeing arent that bad :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)